• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

cars

Yeah can’t argue with any of that

Maybe the biggest issue for EVs is how dirty they are to make. Take an un-driven electric vechicle and put it up against an internal combustion engine car, and the EV has created far more carbon emmisions to build, and is involved in some pretty shady mining practices too. Once you factor in the lifetime of the vechicle this changes, but not always as much as people think. The weight of the EV, whether a nation is using coal to charge up EVs, the temperate outside etc etc all affect calculations. If the EV is effectively powered by burning coal, the carbon savings are negligable.

Long story short, at some point, environmentalists will figure out that old style EVs (what we have today) are polluting. And at that point, these current EVs will go from hero to zero. We need vechicles that are better than current EVs which are highly poluting mainly because of their manufacture.

Maybe the biggest issue for EVs is how dirty they are to make. Take an un-driven electric vechicle and put it up against an internal combustion engine car, and the EV has created far more carbon emmisions to build, and is involved in some pretty shady mining practices too. Once you factor in the lifetime of the vechicle this changes, but not always as much as people think. The weight of the EV, whether a nation is using coal to charge up EVs, the temperate outside etc etc all affect calculations. If the EV is effectively powered by burning coal, the carbon savings are negligable.

Long story short, at some point, environmentalists will figure out that old style EVs (what we have today) are polluting. And at that point, these current EVs will go from hero to zero. We need vechicles that are better than current EVs which are highly poluting mainly because of their manufacture.
That's not quite accurate. Battery tech is now moving away from batteries containing cobalt, which is partly coming from some shady mining activity, to much "cleaner" batteries. In addition, electric cars contain less parts than CE cars, so require less manufacturing.

That's not quite accurate. Battery tech is now moving away from batteries containing cobalt, which is partly coming from some shady mining activity, to much "cleaner" batteries. In addition, electric cars contain less parts than CE cars, so require less manufacturing.

As I said...in the future...they will be cleaner, but the EV you buy today, took a lot of carbon to make. Especially if manufacturered in Asia where they use coal to power the manufacuring process predominatly. Tesla are pioneering cleaner production with renawables etc. You still have motors on EVs, but no pistons. However, IC engines have been refined for so many decades they are largely bullet proof now. You also have the effect of all that metal battary weight on the car (bigger breaks, shocks, and impact on the chassis) and infrastructure (wear on roads). Not to mention many EVs are currently hard to fix. Lack spares and knowhow. Many insurance companies declare them a right-off for a small shunt because of the fear of fire presumably. You can buy EVs that insurance companies won't touch from car auctions at the moment, many seem to drive just fine. Such cars if written off in the first couple of years of ownership won't have paid back their carbon debt - the higher carbon cost of manufacture.

Last edited:

Biggest issue we have is they are almost irreparable when they have accidents
We have 22000 on our fleet and if damaged it’s game over
At £50k plus a go and the environmental impact … it’s counter productive

Currently got a polestar 2 as a loan car whilst my Volvo is being shipped over
its better than the test drive
quite nice warming the car up before getting in which will be handy for tomorrows game on the way back
the google interface is great
the mileage is about 220 miles on a 90% charge around town

Currently got a polestar 2 as a loan car whilst my Volvo is being shipped over
its better than the test drive
quite nice warming the car up before getting in which will be handy for tomorrows game on the way back
the google interface is great
the mileage is about 220 miles on a 90% charge around town
I've noticed quite a few of them around nowadays.

Wife's car has been written off, need to find a new one and I'm completely out of ideas.

She doesn't like driving "big cars" which is basically any saloon or SUV type thing. She's had an Aygo X as a loan car which she quite likes but it's too slow. Any suggestion for a 5 door hatch that doesn't look like a mum car?

Wife's car has been written off, need to find a new one and I'm completely out of ideas.

She doesn't like driving "big cars" which is basically any saloon or SUV type thing. She's had an Aygo X as a loan car which she quite likes but it's too slow. Any suggestion for a 5 door hatch that doesn't look like a mum car?

Electric or ICE?

Hyundai i20 N or Golf R and you might use it too

MG4 - decent EV, not bad to drive, and if you go for the bigger battery has excellent rage.

Last edited:
Electric or ICE?

Hyundai i20 N or Golf R and you might use it too

MG4 - decent EV, not bad to drive, and if you go for the bigger battery has excellent rage.

Or if you can sneak in a GR Yaris that would be awesome. Looks like a benign little thing, drives like a rally car.

or a BMW M135i xDrive, who doesn't love 300hp in a hot hatch that looks like a school run special
A few if the Aston owners I know have a GR as a daily, they all say they're wonderful cars.

I really like the i20N and the 135 but unfortunately anything fun is out of the question. She's only had a licence for a few years and has just had a car written off. Insurance costs will likely dictate something a bit more sedate.

(Not 15s 0-60 sedate, she's only human but not 5s either).

A few if the Aston owners I know have a GR as a daily, they all say they're wonderful cars.

I really like the i20N and the 135 but unfortunately anything fun is out of the question. She's only had a licence for a few years and has just had a car written off. Insurance costs will likely dictate something a bit more sedate.

(Not 15s 0-60 sedate, she's only human but not 5s either).

Hyundai i10 with 1.2 litre engine. Fun little thing, cheap as chips.

Or if you want to win brownie points Mercedes a class (not the old model). Might be too quick and big, but being a merc has lovely cabin.

Check out the BMW ix2! Coupe style based on a SUV platform. Cool mid sized car.

Hyundai i10 with 1.2 litre engine. Fun little thing, cheap as chips.

Or if you want to win brownie points Mercedes a class (not the old model). Might be too quick and big, but being a merc has lovely cabin.
I like the latest facelift of the A class - especially in AMG line trim. I know she loves the A45 but I'm not even looking at the insurance costs.

I like the latest facelift of the A class - especially in AMG line trim. I know she loves the A45 but I'm not even looking at the insurance costs.
Yeah, they've actually managed to make it look pretty cool! They drive well too, and you get a little bit raised driving position, which improves vision.

Hmmm £40k?

I think I'll get her a Hyundai and buy myself an Exige with the change.
It's BMW..... and probably 40k before you've started ticking off extras.. They're bloody expensive, but atm they are the coolest looking cars that are SOMEWHAT "affordable". And they have performance to match the looks.

Back