• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Carlyle takeover, was Cain Hoy takeover

Re: Back Page tomorrow Mirror - Lewis to sell 1 Billion Tottenham

I was trying to see what a billion offer looked like per share.

Your right about the value of 40p It's basically why I kept my 1000 shares, bought at the time for a pound a share as a present some twenty years ago. I now don't care about the value.. and kept them out of principle. I do care about the club ripping people of over the share price though.

I know nothing about shares.

Superhudd, does this mean that if Enic had a billion pound offer the buyer is obliged to offer you a proportional amount for your shares?

I know nothing about shares.

Superhudd, does this mean that if Enic had a billion pound offer the buyer is obliged to offer you a proportional amount for your shares?

Fraid not. The buyer can arrange a private contract with ENIC to buy anywhere between 0 and 100% of their shareholding without ever speaking to other shareholders.

I have no idea what the value is.. But I'd imagine that the 10% Enic do not own are people such as me, there clients. Therefore I doubt they would want to turn us over.

Fraid not. The buyer can arrange a private contract with ENIC to buy anywhere between 0 and 100% of their shareholding without ever speaking to other shareholders.

Does that mean whatever they offer Enic is what the 10% would be offered should they want 100% take over.

Does that mean whatever they offer Enic is what the 10% would be offered should they want 100% take over.

Nope. In theory ENIC could legally agree to sell their stake for £1. It's their private asset. Doesn't mean the other shareholders would be legally obliged to sell up for 10p.

And it works the opposite way too. Once the company is no longer publicly listed, it basically becomes just like any other private asset.

Isn't there some sort of rule as well where if you buy a certain amount of shares you then are obliged to offer to buy the rest?

Isn't there some sort of rule as well where if you buy a certain amount of shares you then are obliged to offer to buy the rest?

That's only for companies publically listed on the market

I think it may be worth mentioning again that Spurs are privately owned by a single entity being ENIC. There are no listed shares in the club.

Nope. In theory ENIC could legally agree to sell their stake for £1. It's their private asset. Doesn't mean the other shareholders would be legally obliged to sell up for 10p.

And it works the opposite way too. Once the company is no longer publicly listed, it basically becomes just like any other private asset.

So.. The 10%ers can sell whatever they deem to be value as long as they find a buyer. Or a buyer sets up a way of purchasing the shares as Enic did to purchase from small share owners when they delisted.

The growth is gonna be from clubs selling rights to games on the internet.
Live television is one of the few thing people are continuing to pay for and about the only thing you can stick adverts on these days.

I guess this means selling rights as the premier league. This way we just need to stay in the league.

If we sell rights as a club only, we would need to appeal as a club and as a team.

Sent from my iPad using Fapatalk

I think it may be worth mentioning again that Spurs are privately owned by a single entity being ENIC. There are no listed shares in the club.

Not quite!

There are probably some 10-20,000 separate shareholders in all!

Granted that, ENIC aside, their combined shareholding amounts to little more than 10% of the company (and less than that once the recent £40m loan from ENIC is converted into shares).

I guess this means selling rights as the premier league. This way we just need to stay in the league.

If we sell rights as a club only, we would need to appeal as a club and as a team.

The big clubs are keen on breaking collective bargaining for online rights. IIRC a final decision on this has not been made yet.

The big clubs are keen on breaking collective bargaining for online rights. IIRC a final decision on this has not been made yet.

That business model only assumes that football fans are partisan. It would be a shame.

That business model only assumes that football fans are partisan. It would be a shame.

It would not be something that I would be in favour of but there would be a lot of money in it for the clubs with big international followings.

It would not be something that I would be in favour of but there would be a lot of money in it for the clubs with big international followings.

It would be the thin end of the wedge, IMO.

And it would be very bad news for us.

Overall, we'd probably earn more money than we do now with collective bargaining. But by comparison to our top four rivals, we'd fall even further behind. They have far, far bigger global fan base than we do.

true, but the global fan base isn't a fixed entity, i bet City's is much bigger now than it was a decade ago, a bit of success and the bandwagon jumpers will follow

true, but the global fan base isn't a fixed entity, i bet City's is much bigger now than it was a decade ago, a bit of success and the bandwagon jumpers will follow

Yes, but with the extra money that Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea would get from signing their own deals, they'd stretch their already big financial advantage over us and therefore, in all likelihood and along with Emirates Marketing Project (who don't yet have the global fan base but who have all the money that they need regardless), would continue to monopolise major silverware and the CL places. And that would make it nigh on impossible for us to make any significant inroads into addressing the imbalance between our respective global fan bases. And thus it continues......virtuous circle for them; vicious cycle for us.

Last edited:

Yes, but with the extra money that Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea would get from signing their own deals, they'd stretch their already big financial advantage over us and therefore, in all likelihood and along with Emirates Marketing Project (who don't yet have the global fan base but who have all the money that they need regardless), would continue to monopolise major silverware and the CL places. And that would make it nigh on impossible for us to make any significant inroads into addressing the imbalance between our respective global fan bases. And thus it continues......virtuous circle for them; vicious cycle for us.
You would effectively see a similar situation to Spain where clubs negotiate their own TV deals and 90% of the money is hoovered up by two clubs.

With Spain moving to a collective bargaining TV deal, I doubt that the English clubs with significant overseas following will pursue the thought of breaking the collective format. I also doubt the other clubs in the Premier League would allow it anyway. It will be the same outcome of the overseas markets.

Back