• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cardiff Ratings

Lloris - 5.5. Looked ever so slightly shaky, coming dangerously close to sliding out of the area when patting the ball away from the on-rushing Campbell, failing to control a long punt backward and conceding a corner, and then losing track of the ball from that resulting corner, only being saved from conceding a goal by the referee's whistle. Still, pro-active over motionless any day for me.

Walker - 5.5. Was hassled and harried all day, and never really got to grips with it. Didn't do much wrong apart from that, though.
Daws - 6. Looked solid enough, and took one for the team by crashing into Kim Bo-Kyung when he was bursting through the back line.
Verts - 6. Solid, although Naughton's woes on the left side did drag him in somewhat.
Naughton - 5. Struggled with the relentless pressing of Bellamy and Catherine, and played a lot of poor passes. Playing out of his usual position, though, so not entirely his fault.

Dembele - 7.5. Looked calm, assured and in control. Twisted and spun out of heavy Cardiff challenges time and again, and proved incredibly difficult to dispossess while at the same time prompting a lot of our forays forward. A good game from him, and a slow return to form.
Paulinho - 8.0. See above, add last-minute goal. Beastly performance, which raises the question: do we actually need a holding midfielder a la Sandro?
Eriksen - 7.0. Flitted in and out of Cardiff's defence with ease, played good passes, almost never lost possession and tested Marshall with a few stinging shots.

Townsend - 7.0. Drove at Cardiff's back line time and again, jinking this way and that so frequently that in the end they just let him get on with it out wide and covered any passing options he had instead. Needs to be more purposeful, though, and I don't mean in an 'endlessly shooting' kind of way.
Siggy - 7.0. Cracked off some stinging shots, played some good passes to Naughton and Eriksen as they floated around him, hit the post and battled away tirelessly. Unlucky to be substituted.

Soldado - 6.5. Was involved more than in previous matches, but was unable to beat Marshall with the chances he did get. Not many people could have today, though.

Subs:

Kane - N/A. Had one shot off target and ran around a bit. Part of a switch to 4-4-2, though, which I enjoyed seeing.
Lamela - 7.0. Provided a great assist to Paulinho, the one moment that won the game. The pass went through Caulker's legs as well, and a nutmeg is always a plus when there's a goal at the end of the move.
Holtby - 7.0. Provided the pass to Lamela that enabled him to ping it in to Paulinho. Looks lively, energetic and passionate, and it looks like he's slowly regaining the confidence he had at Schalke. Great to see.

AVB - 7. If it was a draw, it would have been a standard 6.5. However, his subs won the game, so the score is warranted. Good day for the boss.

Special mention: David Marshall, the Cardiff team as a whole and their fans. The first had a fine game, the second worked their socks off and pressed like madmen while showing no little skill and inventiveness when in possession, and the third roared throughout the game, providing a bit of atmosphere to what was a cracking match. If they play like this, they'll stay up with no problems at all.

Overall, good result. Could have done with finishing it off a bit earlier, but the three points are the most important thing. Onwards and upwards. COYS!

gfct.jpg

Definitely got away with one there, IMO.

i saw that but thought that was his foot kicking up as he's sliding? might be his hand though looking at it.

As I said, you cannot tell if there is contact at that point or the space between the ball and hand OR if the ball is going towards the hand or coming off it. In that picture that hand looks connected to the ball and it is out of the area but it's a snapshot from probably the worst angle.

Not that I can ever see anything you (or anyone else) post from twitter until I've quoted the post and copied the hyperlink, but that is the angle which made me think it wasn't a handball. The other one posted above however makes Lloris look far more guilty.

In any case, I'm pretty sure that's a Cardiff goal against most keepers in the league. So well done Hugo...

Better angle (in Hugo's favour) but still difficult to know if the ball is coming off or onto his hand or if there is contact here.

It's all immaterial tbh - if we cannot figure it out here with pics then the officials made the right decision.

Quite frankly if we can't agree with numerous replays and freezeframes i dont know how an official could make a call in that circumstance from where they were. You've gotta be sure to give it and from watching the game none of the replays showed it conclusively to be handled outside like the commentators were stating. Still i'm sure if it was the opposition keeper i'd be saying it was a **** decision :)

Quite frankly if we can't agree with numerous replays and freezeframes i dont know how an official could make a call in that circumstance from where they were. You've gotta be sure to give it and from watching the game none of the replays showed it conclusively to be handled outside like the commentators were stating. Still i'm sure if it was the opposition keeper i'd be saying it was a **** decision :)

As you say, they have to be certain. Even if in retrospect we can prove it wasn't the right decision, it also wasn't wrong at the time.

MOTM: Mousa

Excellent: Paulinho, Walker, Holtby, Lamela & AVB

Above par: Soldado, Daws, Verts

Par: Townsend, Eriksen, Siggy

Below par: Lloris, Naughton

Awful: n/a

I thought Eriksen was very good personally. Was very busy, chasing lost causes and keeping the ball moving. He was also quite vocal which impressed me.

Honestly, he was the one that gave me the confidence that we would score (I know he wasn't on the pitch) :D

Perhaps not as immense as his first few games but very much a solid performance IMO. :)

Never thought I would say this but I have been impressed with everything I've seen of Kane in a Spurs shirt recently. Would happily start him against Villa if Defoe is out.

I wouldn't play him a striker. He's much better out the left.

i hate when strikers go round keepers. just finish!

I love it. I used to do it all the time. I was quite quick and most keepers aren't as rapid as Lloris. 9 times out of 10 if you knock it round them you score provided you don't overhit it.

I would go round the keeper or hit it hard and low, dinking the keeper is just too risky. You look like a complete dingdong if you get it wrong.

Hugo deserves praise for stopping a definite goal. The frames that show his hand over the line, the ball has already separated from his hand ..

Tough game, Cardiff worked hard, their keeper had a good day and a bit of luck.

Good mention for Eriksen and Holtby, also as others have said, Kane seemed surprisingly effective in his cameo.

Only player I think outright struggled today was Naughton.

Back