• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Captaincy.

Who should be the Captain this coming season?

• Total voters
Damn, this post made me miss Sir King..... :(

You think that post made you miss Ledley, go watch the Ledley King video that Mumorn posted in the Youtube Compilations thread. It is a tremendous video, but you will miss him all the more.

You think that post made you miss Ledley, go watch the Ledley King video that Mumorn posted in the Youtube Compilations thread. It is a tremendous video, but you will miss him all the more.

Imagine a King in his prime, alongside Vertonghen...oh my. Add Berbatov as he was during his spell with us to the current squad as well, and you have yourselves a title chasing side right there.

I don't think captaincy in football is as important as in other sports, notably rugby and cricket.

I also think we need to separate the formal captaincy and leadership on the pitch. Good teams tend to have several of the latter, so there is a good argument that there is no need for a captain who has to start. Hence King as club captain.

Then there is heart vs brain, which leads me to Dawson and Vertonghen, respectively. If we go for one captain then Vertonghen is so far ahead of any other contenders, but I could would be happy with Dawson as club captain. No player deserves it more for attitude.

The wildcard is Bale. If giving him the captaincy was necessary to keep him at the club, then why not? Vertonghen would be just as much a leader behind him. In general, I don't think a forward or winger is a good place for a captain and there is also the danger of captaincy having an adverse effect on a star player. Fortunately, i don't think this is something Bale would want.

Why can't I vote yet? my login details are recognised.....obviously!

New members are on post moderation until they have had five posts approved. Only three more to go and then you can vote to your hearts content

Dawson, but I'd officially name Verts as vice-captain.

With Kaboul's injury issues Dawson is likely to start the majority of games anyway.

Dawson or Vertonghen for me, but I'd give the vote to Vertonghen on the basis that if all the CBs are fit, he will play the most.

We better not make Bale captain, he is not a leader.

Dawson club Captain and Verts or Kaboul when Dawson is not on the pitch.

Most important thing about a Captain is the other players. I am not saying Verts would be a bad Captain, but has there been something raised before where it's proved he is a real leader in the dressing room? Or are people simply voting based on the fact they like his performances on the pitch?

Back