• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Captaincy.

Who should be the Captain this coming season?

• Total voters

AberYid

Steven Caulker
Another season, another year where our previous Captain may not be in the starting line up.

This season, if the press are to be believed, we will see Scott Parker leave the club. Most fans don't have Michael Dawson in their first choice defensive line up - many preferring the returning Younes Kaboul or former Ajax Captain and reliable fan favourite Jan Vertonghen. In midfield we have the injury prone Sandro - who may or may not speak great English, along with the bit part but enthusiastic Lewis Holtby and as a forward, the dependable, charismatic, shy - but influential Gareth Bale could also be in with a shout.

Who would you name as the Captain this season?

A new signing perhaps?

Aaron Lennon captained the side at least once last term.

How about a youngster?

Verts.

Although, if we get Champs League and we want to offer incentive for Bale to stay after next season...

I Have gone for Bale.

He is our Talisman and he spent most of last season dragging the team up and setting positive examples to others. I suppose the diving would count against him....
It could bring more from him or it could have a negative effect. I think I would trust him with the armband and to see if it makes him evolve even more.

I get the whole Verts argument though.....he looks like a born leader...Talker in the team so perhaps that is the more sensible option.

Dawson who I love and respect is a player I am unsure about as part of a high line pressing defence. I think he will be moved on in the near future. But would fully respect it if AVB gives him that mantle.

Another season, another year where our previous Captain may not be in the starting line up.

This season, if the press are to be believed, we will see Scott Parker leave the club. Most fans don't have Michael Dawson in their first choice defensive line up - many preferring the returning Younes Kaboul or former Ajax Captain and reliable fan favourite Jan Vertonghen. In midfield we have the injury prone Sandro - who may or may not speak great English, along with the bit part but enthusiastic Lewis Holtby and as a forward, the dependable, charismatic, shy - but influential Gareth Bale could also be in with a shout.

Who would you name as the Captain this season?

A new signing perhaps?

Aaron Lennon captained the side at least once last term.

How about a youngster?

Calling Sandro injury prone is just ridiculous, he has had one major injury.

tumblr_mk17yitRh71rdiq53o1_500.gif

There can be only one....

Super Jan for me now he's had a year to settle in and feel part of the squad. I'd want Dawson as Vice though if he's still around come August.

He's had two - last season when his knee went in January. Also the year before he missed pre-season and 3 months of the season when injuring his knee playing for Brazil

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/14172120

Not sure why Dawson has suddenly disappeared from people's line-ups given he was first choice from November. He's captain again for me.

Two, but even two major injuries isn't 'injury prone'. Injury prone is lots of niggles and issues. He has had two clear impact injuries.

I'd go with Vertonghen, as i'd want the captain to be first choice and he's the only one of our CB's that i feel is currently.

Though if i speak honestly i don't know why we'd change it, we only changed it last year because King retired.

Last edited:
If Dawson isn't first choice come the start of the season, do people think it's a massive disadvantage to have a captain that isn't first choice?

Dawson continues as captain, everyone knows he's the captain, but when he's not on the pitch Vertonghen has the armband and is vice-captain. Seems like a reasonable solution.

AVB should probably try to avoid making Dawson captain and then try to sell him 3 weeks later though, that was a bit strange.

Back