• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Can someone explain to me 20mph speed limits...

Mulletperm

Mauricio Taricco
So, I've just got back from a few weeks in the UK and I need someone to explain to me the thinking behind the speed limit reduction to 20mph. It'll be 30, then suddenly 20, then back to 30, then 20. From what I've seen there doesn't seem to be any real reason for it (school zones etc), and is incredibly difficult to stick to.

Also, why are there bloody random areas of roads where two lanes are reduced to one and you have to give way to oncoming traffic (and vice versa). There was one road in particular that never, ever had any traffic problems but now with this lane reduction it was always backed-up.

So, I've just got back from a few weeks in the UK and I need someone to explain to me the thinking behind the speed limit reduction to 20mph. It'll be 30, then suddenly 20, then back to 30, then 20. From what I've seen there doesn't seem to be any real reason for it (school zones etc), and is incredibly difficult to stick to.

Also, why are there bloody random areas of roads where two lanes are reduced to one and you have to give way to oncoming traffic (and vice versa). There was one road in particular that never, ever had any traffic problems but now with this lane reduction it was always backed-up.

Why are there so many virtually empty cycle lanes

Why are there so many virtually empty cycle lanes

because its a badly designed network without complete connected routes, and, in many cases makes cycling more dangerous than it was before the lane was added, the London super highways often include the massive 4 lane interchange roundabouts, I've cycled around London for 30 years, I ain't touching those

there are good ones, but most are a token gesture

because its a badly designed network without complete connected routes, and, in many cases makes cycling more dangerous than it was before the lane was added, the London super highways often include the massive 4 lane interchange roundabouts, I've cycled around London for 30 years, I ain't touching those

there are good ones, but most are a token gesture

Where my grandson lives you have to cross a cycle lane to get to bus stop, he says it causes problems to older people and those with young children when bus and cycles have come along at same time.

Try cambodia mate. Road no road, mud, road, dust gravel. The dust roads where you can't see a thing have a higher speed limit than the road.

That' on the highway. Had to stop for an hour while the chinese blew up a mountain for their belt and road initiative.

It tends to depend if its a labour or tory council area. Its a culture war thing, not a road safety thing.

No one seens to abide by them anyway, and anyone who does just ends up a rolling roadblock for overtakers.

It tends to depend if its a labour or tory council area. Its a culture war thing, not a road safety thing.

No one seens to abide by them anyway, and anyone who does just ends up a rolling roadblock for overtakers.

Theamount of cameras these days. You're likely to get done.

Tons near me in safe* Tory seats.

*hopefully not anymore

Theamount of cameras these days. You're likely to get done.
Im pretty sure the new 20 zones aren't legally enforceable.

Its because they are 'zones' not limits. I.e. they are local council initiatives which haven't been adopted/endorsed by the Highways Agency, so therefore they are only advisory.

Try cambodia mate. Road no road, mud, road, dust gravel. The dust roads where you can't see a thing have a higher speed limit than the road.

That' on the highway. Had to stop for an hour while the chinese blew up a mountain for their belt and road initiative.

My daughter lives in small village in Norfolk and their home is on a single track dirt road with no lighting and a 70mph limit, luckily there are only 4 other properties down it.

They generate a lot of income for the local authority via fines. Pretty much the start and the end of the story.

So, I've just got back from a few weeks in the UK and I need someone to explain to me the thinking behind the speed limit reduction to 20mph.
Research has shown that one in 40 pedestrians die when hit by a car going at 20mph, compared to one in five at 30mph.
It feels like you are almost at a standstill, but will add about 20 seconds to your journey, so just suck it up.

The big time suckers in traffic are actual traffic jams, traffic lights etc. Doing 20 gets you quite far across a town quite quickly IF it all flows at 20.
1 mile in 3 minutes is fine if you are going a couple of miles across a town.

Back