• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Budget £50m. Which three would you buy?

Some very good suggestions in this thread so far

If Cambiasso is available I'd take him in a heartbeat

I see that Liverpool are going in for Clyne at the 10 mill level. At that price id want us to be fighting for him

Berahino is the one naughty temptation. I know there are question marks about him off the pitch, but on it he has that class and unpredictability that could be very useful to us. I like Austin too and I think Gignac on a free is an option for us.

Anyway, this is how is blow the 50 mill

Clyne 10 mill
Cambiasso free
Sergi Roberto 10 mill
Ayew free
Berahino 18 mill

So 12 mill left for any interesting late in the window deal

I think that Trippier is perhaps a better player than Clyne.

I agree with you regarding all of the attacking options you have listed.... I think Berahino would be a very good option as I like the way he can play pretty much all of the attacking roles. Gignac on a free could also be a good low cost option as a back up striker.

I think that this close season there are actually some good players likely to be on the move. We have kept our powder largely dry for a while now and this season could be a good one to freshen the squad by selling squad ballast and replacing with potential first team players.

Looks like you and I have similar wants for our squad next year. I too would be (very) happy with Trippier as a back right back option. The reason that I went for Austin as the CF choice is because of all the strikers I've seen he looks to have the game that is most similar to Kane's. I think we will play enough games next year to allow both of them to get enough games (and I think in certain games we could play Kane as number 10 behind Austin).

in terms of the names i have listed im not particularly set in stone on them, i certainly don't watch enough football to have a great idea of whats available elsewhere but those are the positions i think need improving and of the names which have cropped up in those positions they seem like good fits from the little i have seen.

Austin has had an almost identical impact at QPR this season as Benteke's first season at Villa (one less goal, one more assist) - the fact he's English and would come at a reasonable price, makes me wonder why there aren't more people clamoring for him to be signed - Benteke was a lot of peoples first choice signing a couple of summers back, at twice the price

in terms of the names i have listed im not particularly set in stone on them, i certainly don't watch enough football to have a great idea of whats available elsewhere but those are the positions i think need improving and of the names which have cropped up in those positions they seem like good fits from the little i have seen.

Austin has had an almost identical impact at QPR this season as Benteke's first season at Villa (one less goal, one more assist) - the fact he's English and would come at a reasonable price, makes me wonder why there aren't more people clamoring for him to be signed - Benteke was a lot of peoples first choice signing a couple of summers back, at twice the price

I think perhaps you answered that question yourself mate.... I think the problem is that he's not an exotic unknown and that doesn't always set the pulses racing.

What I saw of Austin last season was a player quite similar to Harry Kane... Good touch, two good feet, good workrate, nice balance, good physicality, the ability to find the right positions and an ability to get a shot away very quickly with accuracy and excellent power despite minimal backlift.

Ings 12m : £'s per goal ratio, I don't think there's better value out there . Supremely confident in his own ability. Reminds me of Robbie Keane. Would link well with our front line and I can see him getting us 15+ goals

Alderweireld 10m : Impressed defensively when his played for Southampton and would also make Verts happy.

Nigel De Jong 5m : I'd go Edgar Davids all over again.

Ings 12m : £'s per goal ratio, I don't think there's better value out there . Supremely confident in his own ability. Reminds me of Robbie Keane. Would link well with our front line and I can see him getting us 15+ goals

Alderweireld 10m : Impressed defensively when his played for Southampton and would also make Verts happy.

Nigel De Jong 5m : I'd go Edgar Davids all over again.
I think De Jong is on a Bosman?

I wouldn't like our chances at all if Kane was out injured.... Ings looks to be more of a 4-4-2 type second forward to me so would be a partner for Kane, instead of a replacement for him?.... Or do you think that Poch is going to change to 4-4-2?... In which case surely we need at least one true wide player?

I think Ings could easily play as a #9 with someone like Chadli supporting from wing forward

I'm that withdrawn from the game, I couldn't give a $hit who we buy.

Although I think a good squad player could be Hull City's Diame.

Other than that, I will watch the Copa America in a couple weeks time and see if anything pops up.

Agree re Diame who is a very good player at a few brick sides

I like Jedinak from Palace and he is apparently available for around £4m

On top of him I'd like Austin/Berahino or Ings. At least one toward please Poch

I'd then like a Pacey winger with an eye for goal. I really wanted depay but hey ho I hope he breaks his leg now

I'd take Ayew in a from what I've seen of him

We need a back-up striker, since Kane's unimpeachable at present. We also need a back-up RB if Yedlin's off on loan. But most importantly, we need a) a starting DM with enough discipline and skill at long passing to allow Bentaleb/Mason to get further forward, and b) a starting/rotation LW with enough pace and directness to offer a different option to Chadli.

Ergo -

1) Lars Bender, 26 - furious presser, physical presence, good passing abilities (based on what little I've seen of him), plays in a league similar to the PL in terms of intensity, captain of his side, and probably won't be on impossibly high wages. Plays for a club in the CL (Bayer Leverkusen), though.

- 17,500,000 - 20,000,000

(Alternatively - Ignacio Camacho, 25 - furiously hard worker, captain of his side (leads by example, according to this report: http://www.football-espana.net/46724/camacho-worthy-la-roja-call) relentless presser and a physical presence at DM, largely ideal (although his long passing probably isn't spectacular), plays for a team not in the CL (Malaga) - 15,000,000 - 17,500,000)

2) Julian Draxler, 21 - physical unit, but with exceptional ball skills and a keen eye for goal when cutting in off the left. He's been injured all season and has looked off the pace when he has played, but that's exactly what makes him a possible target for a club like us: the big clubs aren't looking at him as keenly as they were last summer (and likely won't need him, in any case), but he's clearly still enormously skilled and definitely a target worth pursuing. Also plays for a club not in the CL (Schalke).

- 20,000,000 - 22,500,000

(Alternatively - Vitolo, 25 - furiously hard worker, looked like a more mobile, active version of Chadli when I did manage to catch Sevilla's games this year. Doesn't have anywhere near the talent Draxler likely does, but a good player nonetheless, and worth pursuing. However, he does play for a team in the CL, and a team not wholly enamoured by Levy's bargaining tactics. - 12,500,000 - 15,000,000)

3) Maxim Choupo-Moting - 25 - big guy, pacy, direct. Had a stop-start season for Schalke this year, didn't score many, but that will likely make him cheaper to acquire. Could do a good job as a back-up/rotation CF. Plays for the aforementioned non-CL club Schalke.

- 7,500,000 - 10,000,000

(Alternatively - Ciro Immobile, 25 - big unit, not very pacy, but good in the air. Disappointing season at Borussia, but had a storming one for Torino in 2013-2014, and wouldn't cost the world. Down to earth fella, and also plays for a club not in the CL (Dortmund). - 10,000,000 - 12,500,000)

Domestic options for the same three positions above include James McCarthy and Kevin Mirallas for the CDM/LW positions (although I believe Mirallas plays more on the right), and one of Austin/Ings/Callum Wilson or another Championship forward as backup - however, for what it's worth I don't think Austin or Ings would fancy competing with another England forward for just the lone CF spot, and I don't think Mirallas is particularly well-suited to Poch's pressing philosophy (although I firmly believe McCarthy is, whatever the naysayers may argue :p ). That whole bunch, however, would likely cost as much as the three aforementioned foreign players given the PL premiums we'd end up paying, so that is worth bearing in mind.

Finally, we could go the youth route, stick Veljkovic, Azzaoui and Coulthirst in there and pray we don't get relegated. 0 pounds spent, 50,000,000 for the stadium, hooray! :p

(And as for the back-up RB, I'm assuming it's either Tripper or KWP, either is okay with me)

Last edited:
James Milner - Free
Saido Berahino - £15,000,000
Morgan Schneiderlin - £24,000,000

Cambiasso - Free
Klose - Free
Roberto Firmino - Hoffenheim - 12m
Philipp Schobesberger - Rapid Wien - 2m

We don't need to be signing direct competition for the players we are looking to develop. Hence, I would augment the squad with some genuine experience in th shape of players probably not capable of playing week in, week out, and who would be happy to sit on the bench for stretches.

We can't expect that when we get injuries to our starting 11 we have someone of equal quality to come in off the bench; its not realistic, and its also not necessary. Thus I've gone for reinforcements in the shape of Klose and Cambiasso. I'd give this squad, plus Ali and Pritchard, another year and see what happens.

However I think we need more in the attacking third. Schobesberger would be a cheap punt, with a view to moving on Townsend. Firmino would be a ready to go addition used to playing across the attacking positions with experience of a similarly fast paced league. He'd provide instant competition for the Chadli/Lamela/Eriksen tio; with Pritchard and Schobesberger (in that pecking order) looking to impress and work their way into the side.

I think those 6 would give us ample options behind Kane, with Firmino and Klose that back up options (or the extra strikers in a 442).

The squad will be better balanced, more experienced and better equipped, plus we'll probably make a net profit on player trading.

We don't need to be signing direct competition for the players we are looking to develop.

I think that's crucial.

So much of what Poch has achieved has been brought about by backing the young players. To bring in someone at their prime as a direct rival to Kane, Mason or Bentaleb would do so much damage to morale.

It's why we either need someone young (e.g. Ings and Alli to understudy Kane and Mason) or someone old (e.g. Cambiasso to understudy Bentaleb). So they either provide cover (while slowly developing into a position to challenge), or are someone the player can learn from but who isn't a medium-to-long term threat. I could see a Cambiasso-Bentaleb relationship being a bit like the Davids-Carrick one for instance.

We have a young team that needs some experience and nurturing, spending big would undo a lot of good long term work IMO.
But we do lack key aspects in vital areas, pace up front. Real pace with acceleration, Chadli is quick but needs a long run to get going. We need some one who can get behind defences when we are playing counter attacking against the big guns. Played against parked buses they would be less effective but could draw fouls in good areas for eriksens free kicks.

Experience in midfielder, a player for mason and bentaleb to learn from. When to hold, when to press, to drop back or push forward, runs and passes they should looking for. General game craft.

At the back we really lack a no nonsense defender, a if in doubt clear it out type. The ball is mine and I'm having it back kind of player. Playing out and no long balls is great but sometimes you need to clear it and regroup. How many goals have we lost over the 3 seasons from dithering around the box?

At the back we really lack a no nonsense defender, a if in doubt clear it out type. The ball is mine and I'm having it back kind of player. Playing out and no long balls is great but sometimes you need to clear it and regroup. How many goals have we lost over the 3 seasons from dithering around the box?

I'm not sure we'll get that, the way Poch berates Fazio and Dier any time they put their foot through the ball.

Wimmer is supposed to be more of an agricultural defender from what I've read. Him and Fazio give us the powerful options I think, whilst Verts and Dier are the more cultured ones.

I think that's crucial.

So much of what Poch has achieved has been brought about by backing the young players. To bring in someone at their prime as a direct rival to Kane, Mason or Bentaleb would do so much damage to morale.

It's why we either need someone young (e.g. Ings and Alli to understudy Kane and Mason) or someone old (e.g. Cambiasso to understudy Bentaleb). So they either provide cover (while slowly developing into a position to challenge), or are someone the player can learn from but who isn't a medium-to-long term threat. I could see a Cambiasso-Bentaleb relationship being a bit like the Davids-Carrick one for instance.
I think that is true to some extent, however if we don't look to replace at least some of the weakest players in our team (IMO these are Fazio/Dier, Mason, Lamela, Chadli) then we are not going to progress. I don't think it would harm Mason's or Bentaleb's development if we brought in Schneiderlin for example. If we assume we're going to play 50 games next season then that would potentially be 33 games each for the three of them in the non attacking central midfield positions.

Also, as I've said before, I don't see Ings as being a good understudy for Kane at all, Ings looks to be a player who would either play as the support striker in a 4-4-2 or play as the number 10 type central player in our 3 behind the forward. If Kane is out through injury, suspension or needing a rest then I think we would seriously struggle with Ings leading the line up top. By all means we can bring in Ings as an alternative to Eriksen, but we're still stuck without a viable alternative to Kane.

Back