• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bring back that loving feeling

superfaisty

Nico Claesen
And so here we are again, my one true love. There were times last year you really made me regret loving you, parading yourself like a tart and acting all Jekyll and Hyde just cos you lost your best mate and found 7 new mates you didn't know what to do with. **** me your behaviour was appalling at times, you were a shadow of your former self.

I've been in love with you for most of my life my love and over that time you've progressed from being that club that had the odd flash of genius, the odd amazing night out, to one who consistently had a gd time with. You sucked me in so much I started believing the hype and set myself up for a fall. And like all good things, the come down can be hard it can be bloody hard.

We got through it together, though at times I was sick of it all I wanted to through the towel in. But I couldn't and still can't let you go.

Hope spring eternal they say, but I'm no optimist I'm no romantic, life changes and so does our relationship. But still you suck me back into your warm embrace. I can't help myself. I'm an addict, always have been always will be.

Even after everything that's happened there it is, that feeling I thought if lost, that feeling that keeps bringing me back to you. Hope. Love call it what you want there's that niggling feeling that knot of excitement building up. It could be a train wreck of a season it could be amazing we just don't know.

All I want is for my beloved spurs to bring back that loving feeling.

Do other people feel the same way?can you ever forget or forgive this train wreck of last year?

I remember us being relegated, but it didn't seem such a terrible thing. Maybe because I was younger, maybe it was different times. We had a good time in Div 2 and Hoddle emerged as the player who was to become our best ever homegrown player.

If last season was so bad, I fear for Poch, because league-wise he'll do well to match it, let alone improve on it. Where he has some massive upside to play with was our poor Cup form.

The only fans who'd consider last season a 'train wreck' are those who think we are a bigger and better club than we actually are....

The only fans who'd consider last season a 'train wreck' are those who think we are a bigger and better club than we actually are....

10000% agreed. I think our club has really suffered from unrealistic targets and expectations (from fans, media, and most importantly, our upper management). As a club, we have a lot of new-ish fans who are deluded by our brief foray into the Champions League. Look across all the Leagues in Europe, where you finish generally has to do with how much you pay in wages. If you started supporting Spurs to expect Champions League football every season, you will be disappointed. Go support Man U if you want that.

There is so much to look forward to this season. We've got a highly-rated, interesting young manager with a squad full of exciting young players to watch (Bentaleb, Lamela, Davies, Dier, Townsend), real class acts to enjoy (Lloris, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Adebayor), talented players still to write their name in our colors (Soldado, Paulinho, Capoue, Chadli, Holtby, Vlad), and solid Premier League role players to hopefully keep it all together (Lennon, Walker, Kaboul).

For me, this is the first season since we made the Champions League where the pressure is really off. We aren't expected to finish anywhere in particular. We can go out and play our football, the Tottenham Way. We are not DEFINED by where we finish. We are defined by who we are.

While moments of last season certainly hurt and Tim Sherwood did embarrass the club, I would take it all day over finishing consistently midtable and hoping for the UEFA cup. I remember celebrating draws against Arsenal. I remember being relieved when we only were beaten by a goal by United. I remember being literally afraid when we saw the Liverpool team line-up at WHL.

I wasn't around for the relegation, but I do have enough perspective to know that we have been enjoying a wonderful period in our history and that we have everything in place to continue to be one of the top clubs in English Football.

COYS.

I think getting repeatedly thrashed by the big boys by 4-6 goals, going through two managers, failing to bed in half your new signings and losing three times to Wham would be a train crash of a season by most club's standards.

It was a bad season by recent standards. Definitely wasn't a 'train crash' of a season, though. I remember 2003-2004 as a genuine train crash of a season, coming as it did with Hoddle going, Pleat taking over the reigns again and L'**** winning the Double and going unbeaten. In terms of personal anguish, 2011-2012 did it for me, with all my hopes being ground down and destroyed by a combination of what I saw at the time as Harry's self-interested foolishness and the football gods deciding we'd gotten too uppity and striking us down by making bloody Chelski become the first London club to win a CL. The ending to 2005-2006 was pretty grim from a personal standpoint, again due to the incredible misfortune involved.

Point being, all these were genuinely heart-breaking seasons for one reason or another. Compared to that, 69 points and sixth place at the cost of a few pumpings from all the other big teams doesn't seem bad at all, especially when (as seems to be the case), our slight underachievement didn't really have any effect on whether players stayed or left (judging by Lloris' contract renewal and Verts' seemingly positive negotiations regarding the same) and we ended up getting a better manager at the end of it.

Chin up, mate. There will be better seasons in the near future, and along the way there will also be utterly horrific, mind-numbing seasons where our rivals win everything and we **** our pants and drop into the relegation battle before finishing in lower mid-table and then calling it a success. That's what being a Spurs fan is about. Right now, we've got it relatively good, and the proof of that is that we've got people here calling last season a 'train crash'. Damn, we beat United at Old Trafford for only the second time in a generation last year: that alone redeemed a lot of the season's faults, never mind the other positives.

It was a bad season by recent standards. Definitely wasn't a 'train crash' of a season, though. I remember 2003-2004 as a genuine train crash of a season, coming as it did with Hoddle going, Pleat taking over the reigns again and L'**** winning the Double and going unbeaten. In terms of personal anguish, 2011-2012 did it for me, with all my hopes being ground down and destroyed by a combination of what I saw at the time as Harry's self-interested foolishness and the football gods deciding we'd gotten too uppity and striking us down by making bloody Chelski become the first London club to win a CL. The ending to 2005-2006 was pretty grim from a personal standpoint, again due to the incredible misfortune involved.

Point being, all these were genuinely heart-breaking seasons for one reason or another. Compared to that, 69 points and sixth place at the cost of a few pumpings from all the other big teams doesn't seem bad at all, especially when (as seems to be the case), our slight underachievement didn't really have any effect on whether players stayed or left (judging by Lloris' contract renewal and Verts' seemingly positive negotiations regarding the same) and we ended up getting a better manager at the end of it.

Chin up, mate. There will be better seasons in the near future, and along the way there will also be utterly horrific, mind-numbing seasons where our rivals win everything and we **** our pants and drop into the relegation battle before finishing in lower mid-table and then calling it a success. That's what being a Spurs fan is about. Right now, we've got it relatively good, and the proof of that is that we've got people here calling last season a 'train crash'. Damn, we beat United at Old Trafford for only the second time in a generation last year: that alone redeemed a lot of the season's faults, never mind the other positives.

Caretaker Pleat was undoubtedly the nadir for me (32 years old). I don't believe I've listed to an entire spurs game on the radio since that season, my heart couldn't take it.

Just in case anybody needs reminding how fecking awful we could be at that time, despite just starting on the upward trend in squad quality:

[video=youtube;GiUIi9UJpyk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiUIi9UJpyk[/video]

10000% agreed. I think our club has really suffered from unrealistic targets and expectations (from fans, media, and most importantly, our upper management). As a club, we have a lot of new-ish fans who are deluded by our brief foray into the Champions League. Look across all the Leagues in Europe, where you finish generally has to do with how much you pay in wages. If you started supporting Spurs to expect Champions League football every season, you will be disappointed. Go support Man U if you want that.

There is so much to look forward to this season. We've got a highly-rated, interesting young manager with a squad full of exciting young players to watch (Bentaleb, Lamela, Davies, Dier, Townsend), real class acts to enjoy (Lloris, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Adebayor), talented players still to write their name in our colors (Soldado, Paulinho, Capoue, Chadli, Holtby, Vlad), and solid Premier League role players to hopefully keep it all together (Lennon, Walker, Kaboul).

For me, this is the first season since we made the Champions League where the pressure is really off. We aren't expected to finish anywhere in particular. We can go out and play our football, the Tottenham Way. We are not DEFINED by where we finish. We are defined by who we are.

While moments of last season certainly hurt and Tim Sherwood did embarrass the club, I would take it all day over finishing consistently midtable and hoping for the UEFA cup. I remember celebrating draws against Arsenal. I remember being relieved when we only were beaten by a goal by United. I remember being literally afraid when we saw the Liverpool team line-up at WHL.

I wasn't around for the relegation, but I do have enough perspective to know that we have been enjoying a wonderful period in our history and that we have everything in place to continue to be one of the top clubs in English Football.

COYS.

Totally agree, too many of our fans have unreal expectations fuelled by the loony media. Let see some good football and start to build from a strong base. I'm in the minority I just go to enjoy the game and have a bit of fun.

To be honest I actually agree that last year wasn't all that bad- was trying to convey the feelings that some had about last season feeling like a kick in the goolies after so many positive progressive years where we look like going forward. And yet for all the embarrassment of the regular drubbings by the big boys and the antics of the acting manager we still managed to have a reasonable season by comparison to all those years of mid table obscurity.

It just hit me yesterday that I actually was looking forward to this season less as am optimist of our chances of finishing top four but curiosity to see how poch can mould this team where AVB and Sherwood failed.

I think getting repeatedly thrashed by the big boys by 4-6 goals, going through two managers, failing to bed in half your new signings and losing three times to Wham would be a train crash of a season by most club's standards.
This was exactly what I was thinking

Totally agree, too many of our fans have unreal expectations fuelled by the loony media. Let see some good football and start to build from a strong base. I'm in the minority I just go to enjoy the game and have a bit of fun.

The perspective of the media is very annoying because you end up being told endlessly that we have "missed out on the Champions League qualification again". Its very rare that any article or discussion about Spurs doesn't mention or isn't written about our aim of Champions League qualification - its such lazy journalism.

What's worse is that whenever I speak to fans from other clubs (regular relegation candidates) they talk about our failure to make the champions league and seem to enjoy it! The outside perspective is that we are a club who are endlessly failing and will never achieve anything....anybody who thinks that doesn't remember the dark days from 1992-2005 when top half finishes were not the norm.

Last season, I think the hype around the signings and corresponding raised expectations ruined what was a perfectly respectable season finish.

Wasn't there this old chap who used to go on about aiming high, echoes of glory and all that.....

Nothing in that quote about describing (relative) failure as a train wreck.

No one is saying that we shouldn't aim high.

That being said last season was a bit of a dumpster fire ;) Selling our best player in pre-season, two head coach changes including Sherwood in the "post-season", a ton of money spent on players that so far haven't delivered.

A train wreck would have been more exciting to watch than last season's rubbish.
Only managing to score 55 goals while conceding 51, regular drubbings by the teams we're trying to compete with and worst of all by the end several players didn't seem to care. It's hard to see many positives.
That was the least enjoyable season I've witnessed in the 30 odds years I've followed Spurs.

We've gone backwards in the last couple of years and others have overtaken us. We've lost some of our identity.
I really don't care where we finish this season, as long as we regain a sense of identity, play attacking football and score plenty of goals it will have been a better season than the last couple.

I just hope Levy is realistic in his ambitions, if he still thinks top 4 is the target this year then he's deluded. The season has to be less about where we finish and more about how we get there.

I'm cautiously optomistic, I'm not as sure about Poch as some seem to be, still a few questions to be answered before I'll be convinced he's going bring us glory. But he has to be an improvement on AVB and at the very least he should be able to stop the decline. The fast attacking play Southampton tried to play last season is certainly encouraging. Just hope he can adapt his approach when teams sit deep. And that we're not burned out by Christmas.

I still worry that Baldini has too much influence, I want Poch to wrestle some of that back. Our team needs to be Poch's not Baldini's. I hope he's not under any pressure to keep players he doesn't want.

A good start would be to put three past the spammers.

COYS!

Last year was one of my stranger seasons, horrible feeling around club, dire football at times, the unacceptable thrashings, 2 managers with the 2nd being close to the most divisive person ever to manage at Spurs.

Yet, finished 6th, a couple of points short of our best ever point haul .. truly bizarre.

Personally I want us to look like we are having fun again playing the game, winning with a little more style, losing a little less disastrously and getting a bit more out of our players.

Don't agree that the club shouldn't have targets, to me, we need to finish ahead of Everton and the others, that should be likely 6th, hopefully we get 5th and look in the run for top 4.

Back