• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Brennan Johnson

Best performance yesterday IMO. Lovely little shuffle in first half where he nearly got away, was a lice threat throughout and his finish was subtly brilliant. Hopefully, the go early merchant's will be wrong in the long run, the lads clearly talented

Could not agree more, he has talent for sure but in his early games he looked nervous ( he is still fairly young) and stepping up from where he was playing to a big club like Spurs can be a little overwhelming. But you can see he is looking more confident now. Keep it up mate.

Best performance yesterday IMO. Lovely little shuffle in first half where he nearly got away, was a lice threat throughout and his finish was subtly brilliant. Hopefully, the go early merchant's will be wrong in the long run, the lads clearly talented

Not sure anyone ever doubted the talent

My issue was (didn't seem/appear to be) he wasn't brave, he didn't want it enough, he didn't look like a player/guy you wanted in the trenches with you (and yes, all of that is a big insult)

The last 2-3 games, something has changed, confidence, someone talking to him, whatever, he's fighting for it, and it makes him exponentially a better player than anything we have seen in a Spurs shirt from him ...

My issue was (didn't seem/appear to be) he wasn't brave, he didn't want it enough, he didn't look like a player/guy you wanted in the trenches with you (and yes, all of that is a big insult)

The last 2-3 games, something has changed, confidence, someone talking to him, whatever, he's fighting for it, and it makes him exponentially a better player than anything we have seen in a Spurs shirt from him ...
I think it is just getting to know his team mates and his role. He did a whole heap of good things right from the very start of his tenure at Spurs, I just think some people expect far too much of young players coming into a new team.

There were comments only last week about him not being the standard required to push on, so that comments was firmly aimed at that view. Maybe should have been clearer and less jabby haha.

TBF there was many a reason that could explain that start, the step to a new club, new club with new ideas, injury crisis, his injury, playing into the ground because of injuries etc.

I actually thought his actual first few games he was really sharp too, hit every part of the oppo players rather than the net by some misfortune or other, he was also a hairs breath from first game hero status.

I think we can all agree it's great to see him kick on

Showed a good bit of fight after the McGinn tackle as well, was straight in there.

I get the impression he’s a bit frustrated with how his time has gone here so far judging by some of his celebrations or lack of them when he’s scored and there’s more to come from him. He’s quite an important player when he’s on form due to his pace and he has a knack of getting important goals, not just the 4th goal in 5 nil rout. He often gets the goal that puts us in the lead or puts the game to bed.

Got the skills, now showing some fight. I like that.

Last few weeks he is doing what I thought and hoped Sessegnon would do.

Good player fast improving, like the lad.

There were comments only last week about him not being the standard required to push on, so that comments was firmly aimed at that view. Maybe should have been clearer and less jabby haha.

TBF there was many a reason that could explain that start, the step to a new club, new club with new ideas, injury crisis, his injury, playing into the ground because of injuries etc.

I actually thought his actual first few games he was really sharp too, hit every part of the oppo players rather than the net by some misfortune or other, he was also a hairs breath from first game hero status.

I think we can all agree it's great to see him kick on
The funny thing is his first few appearances were also on the left hand side. I've been saying it all season, he plays best in the left, he gets involved and usually gets shots on goal. His anonymous performances have all come from the right. But I'll just keep banging the same 🥁 until everyone eventually sees it. 🤣

The funny thing is his first few appearances were also on the left hand side. I've been saying it all season, he plays best in the left, he gets involved and usually gets shots on goal. His anonymous performances have all come from the right. But I'll just keep banging the same 🥁 until everyone eventually sees it. 🤣
I don’t have an opinion on which is his best side, but he literally came on just last week v Palace at right wing and changed the game.

I don’t have an opinion on which is his best side, but he literally came on just last week v Palace at right wing and changed the game.
He's had some moments on the right so don't get me wrong I'm not claiming he's brick on one side versus the other. It's more that I've noticed the pattern of when he typically has an influential and impactful game it's on the left. He's more of a moments player on the right, whereas on the left he gets more involved, has more touches etc. He gets shots off but he's also still a good crosser from the left.

He had some opportunities early on off the right where he should have got a couple of goals & assists - if I'm not mistaken he had a little layoff through injury and then came back and was then when his performances started to falter

He had some opportunities early on off the right where he should have got a couple of goals & assists - if I'm not mistaken he had a little layoff through injury and then came back and was then when his performances started to falter
If you're thinking of his first appearances where yes he had some good chances and should have scored those were games he started on the left. In fact his first 5 games he started on the left, the Arsenal game in particular.

The SU where he came on as a sub and scored the offside goal was the only game he played on the right before we got injury ravaged. This is why I actually have always felt we bought him for the left because that's where Ange initially played him.

If you're thinking of his first appearances where yes he had some good chances and should have scored those were games he started on the left. In fact his first 5 games he started on the left, the Arsenal game in particular.

The SU where he came on as a sub and scored the offside goal was the only game he played on the right before we got injury ravaged. This is why I actually have always felt we bought him for the left because that's where Ange initially played him.
Again I’m not arguing about what’s his best side, you could be 100% right on that, but I think those first games coincided with the injury crisis, we had Perisic, Solomon, Gill and Richarlson all unavailable for various and partially overlapping periods during that time so think it was more out of necessity. I wouldn’t read too much in to that.

Yp
Again I’m not arguing about what’s his best side, you could be 100% right on that, but I think those first games coincided with the injury crisis, we had Perisic, Solomon, Gill and Richarlson all unavailable for various and partially overlapping periods during that time so think it was more out of necessity. I wouldn’t read too much in to that.
You could be right tbf. It is where I think he's made the most impact, but if he can play either side that's ultimately more useful.

Last edited:
I don't track assists on my site but here's the breakdown of him LW v RW. Probably doesn't tell you much, so many factors in a performance other than which side a winger is on.

lw.jpg

rw.jpg

I think it's a bit early to start making definitive statements about what his best position is and will be.

I think on the left he's perhaps a more natural threat both cutting inside and going outside. Ends up crossing with his weaker foot if he goes outside, but has the pace to get separation and will be a threat on the outside. But can cut inside on his stronger foot from that side.

On the right he's a bit more predictable. If he gets past his man on the outside there he has better delivery on his right, but more difficult to do so as it's more difficult for him to mix it up or "sell" the defender on the threat of him cutting inside.

But I also think it's perfectly possible for him to develop a more varied threat on the right, either himself or through more and better combination play.

I think it's a bit early to start making definitive statements about what his best position is and will be.

I think on the left he's perhaps a more natural threat both cutting inside and going outside. Ends up crossing with his weaker foot if he goes outside, but has the pace to get separation and will be a threat on the outside. But can cut inside on his stronger foot from that side.

On the right he's a bit more predictable. If he gets past his man on the outside there he has better delivery on his right, but more difficult to do so as it's more difficult for him to mix it up or "sell" the defender on the threat of him cutting inside.

But I also think it's perfectly possible for him to develop a more varied threat on the right, either himself or through more and better combination play.

Either side he needs to go full pace into the penalty area where an attacker has the upper hand, and learn to draw the contact.

We have had what, one penalty this season?

Either side he needs to go full pace into the penalty area where an attacker has the upper hand, and learn to draw the contact.

We have had what, one penalty this season?

United had more penalties in one half than we had all season
Spurs is in top 3 in all of Europe for touches in the opposition box, but not in top 80 for penalties
We take something like 900 touches in box to get a penalty, our opposition something like ~200
Werner last week was a stone wall penalty

But everyone here will say, nope, no issue, refs aren't fudging incompetent or biased, there is a fudging problem here ..

Back