• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Brennan Johnson

Been harsh on him but two assists today, fair play and well done.. Didn't see the second half but seems like he really helped turn the game. More of that please bud

I was a bit disappointed when he missed the chance from Son's flick, but his two assists were excellent. I actually think he's been slightly more effective than Kulu (and I like Kulu) on the right wing as Kulu is too predictable. Johnson seems to be a classic winger that doesn't always cut inside, but rather delivers nice passes across the box or pinpoint crosses.

I was a bit disappointed when he missed the chance from Son's flick, but his two assists were excellent. I actually think he's been slightly more effective than Kulu (and I like Kulu) on the right wing as Kulu is too predictable. Johnson seems to be a classic winger that doesn't always cut inside, but rather delivers nice passes across the box or pinpoint crosses.
That flick to him was supper quick and knowing son a shot gone wrong
everything else he did was great
if that was Saka it was a star boy performance

I'd quite like to see us going with Johnson at RW for the rest of the reason, Kulu going into the middle - it might be frustrating at times but think the upside of getting Johnson going in this system and getting his confidence up is much higher.

Thought the miss was just one of those things, comes at him quickly, it happens. Not an easy chance imo.

Part of my issue with Johnson has been that he's been predictable. Needed to be played through to be effective, mostly just played it safe if not. That first assist was a good sign of something a bit different in him. Just went for it, trying to make something happen. Didn't really have the option of a safe pass so it's not like he could have done much else, but at least it shows that scrappy determined side.

Think we'll still mix it up a bit between him and Kulusevski. Both have the potential to do quite a bit more than they have so far this season. Good to have options.

Thought the miss was just one of those things, comes at him quickly, it happens. Not an easy chance imo.

Part of my issue with Johnson has been that he's been predictable. Needed to be played through to be effective, mostly just played it safe if not. That first assist was a good sign of something a bit different in him. Just went for it, trying to make something happen. Didn't really have the option of a safe pass so it's not like he could have done much else, but at least it shows that scrappy determined side.

Think we'll still mix it up a bit between him and Kulusevski. Both have the potential to do quite a bit more than they have so far this season. Good to have options.
Didn't his 'miss' deflect off a defender? It could have been on target for all we know.

I mean, Haaland missed a sitter yesterday so I get that it happens, and Haaland's chance seemed quite a bit easier than Sonny's flick to Johnson.

In terms of dribbling past players, I feel like the players were really excelling at the beginning of the season, especially Bissouma, but lately we just seem to run the ball into opposition players and basically gifting them possession. I thought Johnson was slightly lucky in getting past the two players from the touchline, but he still has to make that attempt so I agree, good on him.

Long term, I think Kulu and Johnson are two pretty good options to have in the RW position. I like them both as players and in terms of their personalities. They seem to be great players to have in our squad and the competition I think will drive them both to be better.

I mean, Haaland missed a sitter yesterday so I get that it happens, and Haaland's chance seemed quite a bit easier than Sonny's flick to Johnson.

In terms of dribbling past players, I feel like the players were really excelling at the beginning of the season, especially Bissouma, but lately we just seem to run the ball into opposition players and basically gifting them possession. I thought Johnson was slightly lucky in getting past the two players from the touchline, but he still has to make that attempt so I agree, good on him.

Long term, I think Kulu and Johnson are two pretty good options to have in the RW position. I like them both as players and in terms of their personalities. They seem to be great players to have in our squad and the competition I think will drive them both to be better.
Agree with all of that.

Need to get back to that flow and confidence from earlier in the season.

Definitely Johnson was a bit lucky, but that happens. It doesn't happen when you receive the ball and just play the safe ball backwards.

Will probably need time, but I really want him to essentially try more stuff. Run at people, look for the creative pass. Be a threat in different types of situations. That's what I liked about this, it was a bit lucky, he didn't have much choice or time to think about it, but he just went for it and I want him to do that a bit more.

I love to see how Brennan is stepping up, and answering the rather unfair critics. He was excellent yesterday, and the icing on the cake was to see him stand up for Udogie when that clam McGinn went apebrick. (how anyone can claim that was _not_ a red card is beyond me! But then again, Joey Barton hasn't exactly proved he has a working brain at all lately)

I have only one resentment towards him, he has a slight physical resemblance to the young Dele Alli who came to us, and I so desperately want him to be that Dele Alli. Obviously he is not, he is a brilliant potential and player in his own right, but every time I see him I get a painful pang in my heart as I realize he is not.

It is kind of like when you try to find a new girlfriend who reminds you of the lost love of your life...

Maybe that is why some are overly critical to him as well?

I think he's ticking along nicely tbh 4 goals & 6 assists so far (for reference Maddison has 4 & 7 from more minutes) - could/should have a few more of both tbf, frustrating at times but wide forwards often are early in their careers

I think he's ticking along nicely tbh 4 goals & 6 assists so far (for reference Maddison has 4 & 7 from more minutes) - could/should have a few more of both tbf, frustrating at times but wide forwards often are early in their careers
Yeh and not to make a direct comparison I watched a few games this weekend which js now rare for me and even those that are waxed lyrical on here, playinh for others have the same "faults", I say that because the nature of wingers is try and try again, not always comes off but it's their craft to try. Diaz was overly brilliant yesterday but if you kept a tally chart of crosses and dribbles that work against those that don't it would be stacked in the don't colum, not that any sane person does thay but the point is he is clearly a talented player so you take the rough with smooth and TBF to Liverpool, staying with that example, they celebrate the greater good and give players the backing

Unfortunately, here we have an unrealistic expectation on players sometimes IMO, the same mistakes or misplaced In our side and I'm sorry to say we keep track to seemingly batter a player, far too much historical laden point scoring over our players at times ignoring their crucial contributions. It's why players like Alli and Eriksen often have "yeh but" comments when discussed where as I personally saw them and their records as something to behold.

That's today's rant out anyway hagah

Last edited:
Back