• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bobby Convey

The Duke

Andy Booth
Remember when everyone on here got their knickers in a twist because Spurs couldn't sign Bobby Convey?

Still makes me chuckle.

Remember when everyone on here got their knickers in a twist because Spurs couldn't sign Bobby Convey?

Still makes me chuckle.

It made sense at the time. We had a really weak left hand side. He was a midfielder who was blind in his left eye.

Sorry, mate......FAIL!

We actually signed Toda. Hard to believe now!

And I was very pleased, we desperately needed someone to sit and defend our midfield... so anyone like Toda and Mabizela was welcomed with open arms. Bad days.

Still makes me chuckle.

Wasn't the fuss because Man Utd signed someone at the same time who had less international recognition but got a work permit but we couldn't for Convey? Sure there was some injustice/paranoia going on at the time

Wasn't the fuss because Man Utd signed someone at the same time who had less international recognition but got a work permit but we couldn't for Convey? Sure there was some injustice/paranoia going on at the time

Yep.

Think it might have been Tim Howard?

The Sock was a fail right? Isn't he the same chap that was successful at Atletico (and now at Fenerbahce unless mistaken)?

The Sock was a fail right? Isn't he the same chap that was successful at Atletico (and now at Fenerbahce unless mistaken)?

Had his best days in Europe with Werder Bremen and, latterly, Wolfsburg but never lived up to the hype that started when he was at Santos. Likewise the other Santos wonderkid of the time, Robinho.

I remember Andy Hinchcliffe failing a medical for us back in the day and everyone going nuts over it. :lol:

Ha! Good recall. I'd forgotten about that.

Which reminds me of another left back that we nearly signed before his medical put paid to a deal - Najuan Garayeb from Hapoel Haifa.

Not to mention the close call with John Hartson.

Yea it was Tim Howard, who actually didn't come as close to passing the work permit rules as convey did at the time. Think this was actually the reason the online petition etc. took off, because of the blatant injustice.

Back