• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Yeah he bad a decent game at CB, in our system (although we didn't play like that against Burnley) he probably makes a better CB than he does a full-back.
I have been quite critical of him in comparison of his attributes to our team vs that of Rose. I think Rose suits our system better and right now is a better full back. But at the same time I think its harsh to be dismissing him as a FB, he is pretty solid defensively(in general, he has had his moments) and at the end of the day hes only 21. He looks pretty limited to me going forward, but he could well improve in that area and depending on how the players are functioning in front of him his attacking play might not be a necessity.

Im putting him in the 'ones with potential bracket'....

He looks pretty limited to me going forward, but he could well improve in that area and depending on how the players are functioning in front of him his attacking play might not be a necessity.

It is if we continue with this style of play of having inverted wingers in front of him. Maybe if you put Townsend there it could work, but if we continue with our current system I have my doubts.

What's the difference between Ben Davies and someone like Blind whose doing really well at United with an "inverted winger" ahead of him most of the time?

What's the difference between Ben Davies and someone like Blind whose doing really well at United with an "inverted winger" ahead of him most of the time?

Blind actually does get forward, that is the main difference. Sure, Blind is pretty damn slow, but that doesn't stop him from going on the overlap, he is a very smart player. Davies on the other hand seems reluctant to do that. Blind is much more offensive-minded than Davies has shown to be this season.

Blind actually does get forward, that is the main difference. Sure, Blind is pretty damn slow, but that doesn't stop him from going on the overlap, he is a very smart player. Davies on the other hand seems reluctant to do that. Blind is much more offensive-minded than Davies has shown to be this season.
When you describe Blind like that, pretty much sums up Verts at LB too...

Rose is much better defensively as a full-back, offensively I am not sure. Vertonghen's crossing is much better for example. He is smarter with his passing as well.

Last edited:
One of the disappointments for me this season is that with inverted wingers, our full backs need to provide width for the attacks. The product of Walker, Rose and Davies has all been verydisappointing. I am particularly surprised by Davies as he looked to have a Baines-like delivery for Swansea which seems to have disappeared for us.

One of the disappointments for me this season is that with inverted wingers, our full backs need to provide width for the attacks. The product of Walker, Rose and Davies has all been verydisappointing. I am particularly surprised by Davies as he looked to have a Baines-like delivery for Swansea which seems to have disappeared for us.

Isn't Rose our second best assist provider or something?

He hasn't been in the best of form. My point was one about the style of fullback needed. Also worth remembering that Davies is still very young.

I think he's capable of playing a similar attacking role to Blind in the future. And I continue to believe that you don't have to be a very quick overlapping type fullback like Rose to be effective behind an inverted winger.

I think he's capable of playing a similar attacking role to Blind in the future. And I continue to believe that you don't have to be a very quick overlapping type fullback like Rose to be effective behind an inverted winger.

You don't have to be quick, it's useful, but not vital. You do need to get up and down the flank though, something which Davies hasn't been willing to do. I don't know why, but he is very reluctant to go on the attack, Blind is different in that regard. As for Blind btw, he would probably suffer quite a bit defensively in our high-line system.

Old style full back role is nearly non existent now which is a shame because a really top class full back was always good to watch. Maldini, Chris Hughton to name a couple. the modern breed really dont know how to cover behind their Centre halfs when necessary, exactly how we get caught out a lot of the time!

You don't have to be quick, it's useful, but not vital. You do need to get up and down the flank though, something which Davies hasn't been willing to do. I don't know why, but he is very reluctant to go on the attack, Blind is different in that regard. As for Blind btw, he would probably suffer quite a bit defensively in our high-line system.

I think Davies is perfectly capable of getting forward. In his best games for us this season he did that quite well. But he hasn't been in the best of form and rightly lost his place to Rose.

If/when Davies develops a bit more and gets back to form I think he can be a very effective player for us. Even with an inverted winger ahead of him.

It's easy to put it down to form issues. He has shown a clear reluctance to get forward, even when he apparently was on form he never contributed that much to the offensive side. I simply don't think it's part of his playing style and unless he can adapt, or alternatively Poch will, it remains an issue.

It's easy to put it down to form issues. He has shown a clear reluctance to get forward, even when he apparently was on form he never contributed that much to the offensive side. I simply don't think it's part of his playing style and unless he can adapt, or alternatively Poch will, it remains an issue.

Easy because it's true?

That doesn't sound anything like the Ben Davies i have seen this season tbh

Agreed.

What a terrible player . Seems like a waste of money, and to think we traded Gylfi AND paid Swansea for his service . I have said it a long time now, he just isn't good enough for Spurs and is miles behind Rose . He is still young so he might improve and prove me wrong (I really hope so) , but I just don't see it . He is clumsy and has the positionoal awarness of a monkey . Worst LB in the PL ???

Back