• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Are you happy with the Ben Davies Signing?

• Total voters
Goal report Ben Davies has joined up with #THFC on their pre-season tour of the USA after being convinced to join.

I want proven track records Mumorn. Both are a gamble IMO. £10m for Davies?? Come on.

It's all opinions I'd've preferred FSW. Proven.

Left back? In my lifetime of supporting Spurs this position has been a NIGHTMARE. Edinburgh, Wilson, Tramezzani, Taricco, YPL, BAE and Rose last season. Don't wanna get into a separate argument but all have been abysmal.

If I'm pushed maybe Davide Santon. Some might argue he's unproven but I'd argue he has been decent for a shyte team for 2/3 seasons now.

I was with you until mentions of BAE and Santon. Only way Spurs can compete with the big 5 is by buying young and hoping they become great, I don't know enough about Davies to say what he can become but he's never particularly wowed me.

Left back? In my lifetime of supporting Spurs this position has been a NIGHTMARE. Edinburgh, Wilson, Tramezzani, Taricco, YPL, BAE and Rose last season. Don't wanna get into a separate argument but all have been abysmal.

Lol you can't make a strong sweeping statement like that then say you don't want to get into an argument!

I'd argue that Edinburgh was just a steady, solid full back about right for a middle of a table team, which is where we were. Abysmal is about right for YPL though, he was there as an "attacking left back" but the fact that he was right footed and would always check back in made him predictable and ineffective.

BAE has been disappointing at times, and his last season was definitely in decline but he had previously given us good service. After a shaky partnership he settled down into a good understanding with Bale. Did alright with Sig too, not his fault we never really got round to signing a decent wide left midfielder after we shifted Bale centrally then on to Madrid.

Oh and you're also missing the little matter of Christian Ziege? Though I guess you could argue he was more a wingback, I am sure we used him in a back four?

Having been a Spurs fan over a similar time span I do agree that LB has been one of our least convincing, where as at least with RB we have had something better than any other LB in this time, in Carr and one great season out of Walker, maybe even Shimbonda I. However, it is a tough position for clubs to fill and I would say our peers over that time probably have a similar spread of ability.

BAE abysmal? Crazy thing to say, but then I was a fan of Tarrico! Aaah Ziege...that free kick...such a shame he was injury prone, otherwise a great player.....

Im assuming Ben Davies is better than Rose but is Ben Davies actually any good? What are his strengths? Does he get forward and does he posses a good cross? My main criticism of Rose was his very poor final ball.

Not that difficult in all honesty.

I want proven track records Mumorn. Both are a gamble IMO. £10m for Davies?? Come on.

It's all opinions I'd've preferred FSW. Proven.

Left back? In my lifetime of supporting Spurs this position has been a NIGHTMARE. Edinburgh, Wilson, Tramezzani, Taricco, YPL, BAE and Rose last season. Don't wanna get into a separate argument but all have been abysmal

If I'm pushed maybe Davide Santon. Some might argue he's unproven but I'd argue he has been decent for a shyte team for 2/3 seasons now.

When you put it like that we have had some shocking players at left back, YPL possibly being the worst. I think you're a bit harsh on Ekotto.

Lol you can't make a strong sweeping statement like that then say you don't want to get into an argument!

I'd argue that Edinburgh was just a steady, solid full back about right for a middle of a table team, which is where we were. Abysmal is about right for YPL though, he was there as an "attacking left back" but the fact that he was right footed and would always check back in made him predictable and ineffective.

BAE has been disappointing at times, and his last season was definitely in decline but he had previously given us good service. After a shaky partnership he settled down into a good understanding with Bale. Did alright with Sig too, not his fault we never really got round to signing a decent wide left midfielder after we shifted Bale centrally then on to Madrid.

Oh and you're also missing the little matter of Christian Ziege? Though I guess you could argue he was more a wingback, I am sure we used him in a back four?

Having been a Spurs fan over a similar time span I do agree that LB has been one of our least convincing, where as at least with RB we have had something better than any other LB in this time, in Carr and one great season out of Walker, maybe even Shimbonda I. However, it is a tough position for clubs to fill and I would say our peers over that time probably have a similar spread of ability.

I disagree on YPL, defensively he was very strong and he had to cover the whole of the left side on his own for most of his time with us.

I was with you until mentions of BAE and Santon. Only way Spurs can compete with the big 5 is by buying young and hoping they become great, I don't know enough about Davies to say what he can become but he's never particularly wowed me.

At 21, he has time on his side to improve to the point where he can impress you.
It's not easy for a young left-back to impress unless they are minded to make swashbuckling runs forward and catch the eye in that manner.

I disagree on YPL, defensively he was very strong and he had to cover the whole of the left side on his own for most of his time with us.

100% YPL was a fantastic little professional. Shame about him being little as that was a weak spot that couldn't really be countered.
I notice there was no mention of Atouba in the previous list of left-backs...

BD is a couple of steps up on Rose. He's not exceptional, but a good all round left back. Nothing fancy, just a kind of Jack of all trades, master of none. His main weakness being aerial duels. And most important, he's doesn't commit to the rash challenges that Rose seem to do constantly! Definitely an upgrade.

:eek:

For me, it wasn't too hard to figure out why so many teams targeted him, and it wasn't just because he didn't get much help. Shocking going forward and even worse defensively.

of course, but if he was the worst left back of those names mentioned i doubt we'd have been as defensively solid as we were in that season.

Tramazzani Wilson Edinburgh Taricco and Rose all some way behind him, IMO

YPL wasnt the best, but he really wasnt as bad as some are making him out to be. Also enjoyed his energy as he was constantly up and down that left hand side without a proper winger supporting him. Just a shame he was so right footed, would he not of made a better RB?

Poll - Ben Davies

Nice and easy, Im a big fan myself and think he will be a success so..

Are you happy with this signing and do you think he will succeed? Yes or No?

Back