• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Barbecues

Instead of the briquettes? What would the pros/cons be there?

Local butchers to me sell lumpwood iirc

Lumpwood burns hotter and longer. If it is English it is also sustainable and virtually carbon neutral. Briquettes are often slash and burn rainforest and are all the dust compounded. I have heard good things about coconut husk briquettes though but have not found them in this country yet.

Lumpwood burns hotter and longer. If it is English it is also sustainable and virtually carbon neutral. Briquettes are often slash and burn rainforest and are all the dust compounded. I have heard good things about coconut husk briquettes though but have not found them in this country yet.

Interesting - with briquettes i get a good 2-3 hours at north of 200 degrees out of a single chimneys worth, which does me alright for an evening bbq

Interesting - with briquettes i get a good 2-3 hours at north of 200 degrees out of a single chimneys worth, which does me alright for an evening bbq

That's good going.

Where I used to live I found a bloke who had a coppiced woodland, made charcoal and delivered. I got quite geeky on the burn qualities of different hardwoods.

That's good going.

Where I used to live I found a bloke who had a coppiced woodland, made charcoal and delivered. I got quite geeky on the burn qualities of different hardwoods.
They are Weber briquettes so presumably of a pretty good quality tbf

Aussie Heat beads are the best briquettes.
Use as a base mixed with some lump wood or hardwood for smoking.
Weber make great BBQ, not so great briquettes.

Aussie Heat beads are the best briquettes.
Use as a base mixed with some lump wood or hardwood for smoking.
Weber make great BBQ, not so great briquettes.

They seem to do the job for me but tbf i was using the light the bag jobbies before so not the best comparison - will look in to the alternatives when my current lot runs out

Is it pork? Looks like what we call gammon
Yes, it's a big lump of marinated pork meat. One of my favorites, as it is very tasty and juicy. 3-5 minutes on both sides with high heat, then about 15 minutes with indirect heat at approx 160-180 degrees.

I have a smoker and a grill or BBQ as they are called in the UK, as I live in Florida we have perpetual sunshine, so we cook outside almost daily in summer when it's too hot to cook indoors.
Beer can Chicken is a favourite, Brisket smoked low and slow 8-10 hours is a another. Some nights we'll just fire up the charcoal and do fish or lamb chops. There's a million different rubs, marinades etc. I don't eat Pork or shellfish but I do love cooking vegetables on the grill, Aubergine/peppers/courgettes etc, and then of course there is nothing like a good steak cooked briefly over glowing embers and allowed to rest. During Hurricane Irma last year when we were without electricity for two weeks, I amazed myself with what you could cook on a grill, pretty much anything, use a frying pan on one to do eggs, etc. I've yet to take a saucepan and make Custard but I bet in could be done.

I really like barbecuing. Putting some patties on the grill after having fired it up. Flipping them around. Standing in the sun having a few lagers. But my passion ends there, I'm afraid, I couldn't care less what kind of coal or grill I'm using, marinades, techniques, or whatever. But still, I really enjoy it. :D

Back