• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Away!!!

Cochise

Steve Carr
Not much of a thread to start but during our games these last couple of months I always hear someone screaming "away" everytime a corner or cross comes in. I did think it was Dawson but he didn't play against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Which one of our players is doing this?

I remember Paul Robinson used to do it all the time. I don't have a clue who it is now. I would go with Walker.

In terms of shouting, Lloris is very loud.

There was no way Caulker could ever get away with saying he hadn't heard his call when he (repeatedly) chose to ignore it

Pretty sure it's Lloris.

I also heard bien joué from Lloris a few times last game and I figured it was because Kaboom was back in the 11.

Our spine at the moment (surely one of the best in the league) is looking rather French: Lloris - Kaboom - Bentaleb - Ade (French Speaking)

One of the mainly used comments that seem so ridiculous to use. Surely any proffesional knows to "get it away" from inside their own box. I just dont understand why its so widely used.

One of the mainly used comments that seem so ridiculous to use. Surely any proffesional knows to "get it away" from inside their own box. I just dont understand why its so widely used.

This. Does my f*cking head in when playing particularly when people shout it a millisecond before you actually head the ball. What do they think you are planning to do with it?

Well, why would a coach say anything at half time? You know what you should do to win a match (score more goals that your opponent). Words influence people, if you shout something like that just before a cross comes in chances are that there will be a tiny bit of concentration or will aimed towards getting that ball out that wouldn't be there if the words weren't shouted.

Well, why would a coach say anything at half time? You know what you should do to win a match (score more goals that your opponent). Words influence people, if you shout something like that just before a cross comes in chances are that there will be a tiny bit of concentration or will aimed towards getting that ball out that wouldn't be there if the words weren't shouted.

There's a big difference between what a team needs to do to win a game and what a professional needs to do in order to be thought of as a remotely competent player. There shouldn't be a single player in the premiership who can't judge when a ball needs to be cleared and when not.

There's a big difference between what a team needs to do to win a game and what a professional needs to do in order to be thought of as a remotely competent player. There shouldn't be a single player in the premiership who can't judge when a ball needs to be cleared and when not.

Except when the player shouting has a better idea of what's going on behind the player heading the ball.

Makes sense to me as a part of an overall approach where we try to go through the same routine every time for corners (and some other set pieces) to help our concentration levels.

Except when the player shouting has a better idea of what's going on behind the player heading the ball.

Obviously in a situation where a player has a ball at his feet and someone is creeping up behind them then the player needs a call like man on or away so they know that there's someone behind them, but in the situation the OP is talking about (corner or cross) no pro footballer (or decent amateur footballer) should have to be told 'away' in order to make the right decision. The speed that the ball travels at means that the time between the call being made and the player actually clearing the ball is so short that it can't actually influence their decision anyway.

In the premier league no defender is clearing the ball from a corner or cross because they've been told 'away'. They are clearing the ball because it's the bread and butter of their position.

Obviously in a situation where a player has a ball at his feet and someone is creeping up behind them then the player needs a call like man on or away so they know that there's someone behind them, but in the situation the OP is talking about (corner or cross) no pro footballer (or decent amateur footballer) should have to be told 'away' in order to make the right decision. The speed that the ball travels at means that the time between the call being made and the player actually clearing the ball is so short that it can't actually influence their decision anyway.

In the premier league no defender is clearing the ball from a corner or cross because they've been told 'away'. They are clearing the ball because it's the bread and butter of their position.

Quite often a player may need to leave a cross/corner as it would go out for a free kick. Clearing may be more dangerous than leaving - hence why a call has to be made every time. If someone (usually the keeper) calls every time, players build trust in their calls.

Quite often a player may need to leave a cross/corner as it would go out for a free kick. Clearing may be more dangerous than leaving - hence why a call has to be made every time. If someone (usually the keeper) calls every time, players build trust in their calls.

I like the idea of a trusting relationship being built up between the players. One way to look at it is that it is Hugo and he either shouts "away" or "Hugo's" when he is coming out to claim the ball. This makes the most sense because if he comes flying out for it only to be chipped straight after the clearing header he would look really bad.

Back