• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB

that's where we disagree, I think we became an increasingly tight defensive unit over the course of that season, a collectively effective side with a world class player in magnificent form

this has all been done to death, certainly by me, probably by you as well, I feel no turning of opinion from either side and see no further point in sparring

if people don't rate AVB that's completely fine, everyone can have an opinion, if people want to talk about former employees and their failures and successes then there is no issue in having a thread for that, there is no point however, imo, of discussions of his latest trophy being spammed with the same arguments of "why he failed at spurs" every couple of months

I'm fully aware I'm as guilty of this regurgitation as anyone, so I will endeavour not to jump in and argue from now on, I think he's a good manager, I think he will have a successful career, I think we failed him as much as he failed us, any change in my opinion will follow the progress of his career, not points made on a web forum[
/QUOTE]

A fair point. I will also try to resist the temptation to respond. But I doubt I will be able to as soon as someone praises him :D

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/7c04...-boas-banned-6-games-russia-striking-official
MOSCOW (AP) — Zenit St. Petersburg coach Andre Villas-Boas was suspended for six games by the Russian Football Union on Thursday for striking a match official.

After Villas-Boas was sent off during a 3-1 loss at home to Krylya Sovetov Samara on Saturday in the Russian Premier League, he was caught swearing in Russian on the TV broadcast as he confronted fourth official Ivan Saraev, and they appeared to butt heads.

However, disciplinary commission head Artur Grigoryants said Villas-Boas "left his technical area and hit the fourth official in the chest," in comments to Russian agency R-Sport. That incident was not shown on TV.

Villas-Boas has refused to comment publicly on the incident, but Grigoryants said the coach apologized to the match officials on duty at Saturday's game, admitted "he had a temporary loss of control, and said he didn't have the right to behave like that."

The Portuguese coach's suspension will end on Oct. 30, meaning he misses a game against league leader CSKA Moscow on Sept. 12. The ban comes as Zenit struggles on the field, sitting third in the Russian league, six points off CSKA, following defeats in two of its last three league games.

Villas-Boas previously coached Chelsea and Tottenham before winning the Russian title last season in his first full season with Zenit. He has persistently criticized the Russian football authorities over issues such as fan racism and poor-quality pitches.

Villas-Boas has hinted at a possible exit from Zenit, saying last week that he wanted to leave the club at the end of last season but the management would not allow him to go.

Can't blame AVB. Zenit seems to have started the new season poorly. They have won 5 and lost 2 of their 7 matches so far. This has put them in 3rd place, 6 points behind league leaders CSKA Moscow. After winning the Russian league and Super Cup last season, Zenit players seems like still celebrating that.
Yeah, could be the players resting on their laurels; like the €iteh squad last season...

Or perhaps (like his mentor, Mourinho) AVB just isn't suited to hanging around at clubs for more than a couple of seasons (it has been reported that AVB wanted to leave Zenit at the start of the summer).

They have had to sell a few key players due to Putins new racism rule.

And CSKA have started very solidly.

Yeah, could be the players resting on their laurels; like the €iteh squad last season...

Or perhaps (like his mentor, Mourinho) AVB just isn't suited to hanging around at clubs for more than a couple of seasons (it has been reported that AVB wanted to leave Zenit at the start of the summer).

Well, almost all teams struggle to motivate themselves the season after winning major trophies. Even Mourinho's Chelsea is struggling now after winning the PL title last season. Zenit seems to have the same problem. As for AVB, he is very ambitious so can see him moving to other clubs in 1 or 2 seasons.

Well, almost all teams struggle to motivate themselves the season after winning major trophies. Even Mourinho's Chel53a is struggling now after winning the PL title last season. Zenit seems to have the same problem. As for AVB, he is very ambitious so can see him moving to other clubs in 1 or 2 seasons.

Where do you think he'd go?

The Madrid job is very rarely occupied for more than 2 seasons, can see them going for him after they get rid of Rafa, so long as he dosnt make a complete mess of the Zenit job from now on of course.

They do have a habit of hiring failed PL managers I suppose (Ramos)

I seem to recall he wants to manage in all of the leagues and then race cars for a living.

Always felt the Mourinho comparisons were OTT, he's Portugese, managed Porto and Chelsea and both play drab football but other than that, there's not much similarity in terms of personality and overall pedigree.

Back