• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB & Spurs Tactics and Formations discussion thread

I'm not so sure. I think it could go either way if we go 4-4-2 against Arsenal. They will completely boss us in midfield. But we could cause them problems the other way. We have a real dilemma on how to approach that game.

Besides. Are you seriously suggesting we don't play Rafa against the Goons if he's fit??? With his record?!

I dont think it was a direct question at me but fudge it ill answer it. I wouldnt play VDV I would play either Saha or Defoe with Ade. I would play 442 and fudge em up. Hell if i had the job of managing spurs id play 424 and fudge Arse up REAL GOOD.

I think they are there for the taking and defensively they seem shocking - we may aswell go for it. They WILL score, thats a given, it will be one of those games where we will have to try to outscore them rather than try to go for "conceding less" (that does make sense - read it again)

I dont think it was a direct question at me but fudge it ill answer it. I wouldnt play VDV I would play either Saha or Defoe with Ade. I would play 442 and fudge em up. Hell if i had the job of managing spurs id play 424 and fudge Arse up REAL GOOD.

I think they are there for the taking and defensively they seem shocking - we may aswell go for it. They WILL score, thats a given, it will be one of those games where we will have to try to outscore them rather than try to go for "conceding less" (that does make sense - read it again)

Yea thats the toss up. Do we go for their throats or do we play the tight game and make our quality count. I like us to be in control of games, and feel we have the quality, in fact better quality than the scum.

VdV's record in every game against the scum is outstanding. On a side note... Luka doesn't lose to the Scum.

Well, we played a really good game today, but lets not forget

- We did get to 3rd place in the PL not playing 4-4-2, so it's not like the alternatative doesn't work
- VDV is a very valuable part of our team

For me, 4-4-2 just gives us an option, useful in the right scenarios, but not what we "must play"

I have no idea who will be fit but I think the way to beat Arsenal is to press aggressively, control the centre and overload the flanks. With that in mind:

-------------Friedel--------------
Walker---Kaboul---King-----Assou
--------Parker-----Sandro--------
-------------Modric--------------
---VDV------------------Bale-----
------------Adebayor-------------

They would theoretically become sloppy under pressure (unlike the Arse of old), would keep losing the ball in the middle, and then have their wide midfielders who are pretty much all awful at defending fail to pick up the overlapping full backs, giving us a spare man with VDV/Ade/Bale/Modric about in the centre.

As soon as you sacrifice that man in midfield, you either start playing 2 vs 3 and getting passed by for fun, or limit the attacking freedom of one striker or the wide midfielders. At home we might be able to pull it off but away I think we would get passed out of the game, they are still good on the ball despite having become a lot worse over the last few years.

Defoe/Saha and Lennon off the bench if we need a change of emphasis.

brick OMT, btw.

On the one hand getting him meant Pav left so that was a good thing but I did not think he could still perform the way he did today. I guess I was concerned because Everton were looking for a striker but were ready to cancel Saha's contract. It is not like Saha has scored loads of goals in the past year. I guess I was wrong about Saha. I just hope he stays fit

fair enough, have to admit i was shocked at the level of vitriol you threw at him. it was pretty definitive and bad. At least after you've seen him play you are willing to give him a chance

unfortunately if VDV is fit he will start

I'd call to calm down about today's result...after all...Saudi Sportswashing Machine were missing a lot of key players..
We did what we were supposed to do though giving the circumstances..(beat a depleted team)

But I do enjoy seeing us playing with TWO BIG MEN up front..I am tired of one big one small

:rolleyes:

4-4-2 away to Arsenal in a match they have to win far far far far more than us? yeh i'll give that a pass thanks.

Vdv has destroyed them every time we've gone up against them. One thing i have noticed though is Aaron Lennon hasn't been that effective against them when starting. Hmmm he came on and scored in the 4-4 but the 3-2 comeback was only because he was taken off at HT. He didn't play in the 2-1 at the Lane this season and the season when Rose scored. I don't know if it's a good idea starting him or using him as an impact sub against them?

I have no idea who will be fit but I think the way to beat Arsenal is to press aggressively, control the centre and overload the flanks. With that in mind:

-------------Friedel--------------
Walker---Kaboul---King-----Assou
--------Parker-----Sandro--------
-------------Modric--------------
---VDV------------------Bale-----
------------Adebayor-------------

They would theoretically become sloppy under pressure (unlike the Arse of old), would keep losing the ball in the middle, and then have their wide midfielders who are pretty much all awful at defending fail to pick up the overlapping full backs, giving us a spare man with VDV/Ade/Bale/Modric about in the centre.

As soon as you sacrifice that man in midfield, you either start playing 2 vs 3 and getting passed by for fun, or limit the attacking freedom of one striker or the wide midfielders. At home we might be able to pull it off but away I think we would get passed out of the game, they are still good on the ball despite having become a lot worse over the last few years.

Defoe/Saha and Lennon off the bench if we need a change of emphasis.

brick OMT, btw.

That wouuld be my team.

That wouuld be my team.
THis has to be it I agree. People love four four feckin' two as its a throwback to the days old. However I'd expect our own fans to have more tactical nous than mike bassett. We saw against chelsea that the instant we went 4-4-2 we conceded possession in midfield. Against arsenal we also won inspite of playing 4-4-2; Coquelin was spare and could pick out the easy pass all the time. We will concede the game if we start like this against arsenal.

Last time we played with 2 in the middle against le arse's 3, we got a run around until Harry changed it to match them up. Then we won of course. :-D

I prefer 442.

I think the "end of the strike partnership" was banded about a little prematurely.

If it works, its great. And all you need is two strikers that work together.

Ade and Saha work, Ade and Defoe work. However....can we really drop VDV for The Scum game. He WILL score!

fair enough, have to admit i was shocked at the level of vitriol you threw at him. it was pretty definitive and bad. At least after you've seen him play you are willing to give him a chance

unfortunately if VDV is fit he will start

And that is just wrong, he should bide his time on the bench, it is not like we are struggling without him

Without Rafa we are nothing/4-4-2 is killing us

Outnumbered and steamrollered in midfield.

A huge hole between our (deep sitting) midfielders and our isolated forwards.

No creativity.

No alternative but to hit long balls.

4-4-2 is a stone age system and absolutely suicidal in this league - as we've ridiculously shown the world over the past 3 games.

We've only ourselves to blame. UEFA cup here we come.

Still think we will finish above Chelsea. St Totteringhams day on the calendar again. I'm hurting a hell of a lot after this result. Feels like a cup final loss.

Redknapp quote..

He said something a while back like 'It helps to play the players in their natural position. Simple really'

So what's he playing at?

I just don't get where this need to ruin the system that had got us to 3rd in the first place has come from?

Back