• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB & Spurs Tactics and Formations discussion thread

Is it set in stone that he will try to implement the exact same patterns as with Porto or will he adapt to the players available? I'm thinking specifically in attack here.

Of course not, but it seems his prefered foundation - took it to Porto then tried to take it to Chelsea...

Yes. And he also seemed to learn a lot under Mourinho who seems to prefer a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 type formation at least.

His stubbornness with playing a fairly high line at Chelsea and having a lot of possession (more patient buildup) even when the players weren't that used to or perhaps even suited to that style would indicate that he has a strong preference.

Interesting to read some of the comments in here about thread diversity.

I think some threads evolve in GG purely because the mods let them go, or quite simply are not around enough to stop it happening.
Generally things work out fine, but we do step in and correct things occasionally. Mostly if a thread on the very subject the thread is switching to already exists. I personally had to remind people in the transfer thread, for instance, that a New stadium thread existed when the topic went offline the other night........no problem, everyone obliged.

For those who also read SC, it's interesting to see the mods attempts at keeping the "ITK discussion" thread on topic last night, resulting in some tough decisions.
I sympathise with them..........it is impossible to please everyone.

Regards tactics, Im most interested in our right side of midfield/attack.

If as expected AVB runs with a 433 I am content that the midfield will be fine. Currently Modric, VDV, Huddlestone, Parker, Sandro and Livermore offer enough quality combinations I think thats ok. Defence looks set (on the assumption Vertonghen comes in) and suited to AVBs high line.

The front line will be Bale (presumably on the left) and a front man (possibly Ade) and ?

Does Lennon have enough about him to thrive in that position? Or is the unlikely talk of the likes of Walcott more the sort of player we will look to?

Clearly Walker is more than capable of keeping width on the overlap, and if I understand AVBs system well enough the right forward will be free to come inside to support the striker and threaten goal...

I think we'ere gonna see a lot of VDV out there again. If you look at the player AVB used in the midfield 3 at chelsea (mikel, ramires, meireles and lampard primarily) I cant see him ever using VDV in the centre.

It does seem like Villas-Boas is the type to have a favoured system into which he will try and fit players, rather than being flexible and fitting a system around his players.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as we're willing to be patient and / or he's able to find the right players for the system quickly...

Defensively I think Walker, Ekotto, Kaboul and Gallas should all fit in quite well with a high-line / pressing approach. Dawson not so much - he always looks uncomfortable high up the pitch in space ...

Parker, Sandro, Livermore, Bale and Lennon should all be able to press well too ...

I don't know that much about his approach in possession, but I am looking forward to seeing us play more of a pressing game - I think it's the way forward if done right, and really enjoyable to watch.

Of course not, but it seems his prefered foundation - took it to Porto then tried to take it to Chelsea...

Then it seems to me that the reason the right forward kept cutting in at Porto was more due to what qualities Hulk possessed.

Both wide forwards can play as wingers in a 4-3-3 as long as the central midfielders support the striker. If the FB overlap they can cut in.

Sulejmani at Ajax is a man to keep an eye on for the cutting in from the right malarky

Then it seems to me that the reason the right forward kept cutting in at Porto was more due to what qualities Hulk possessed.

Both wide forwards can play as wingers in a 4-3-3 as long as the central midfielders support the striker. If the FB overlap they can cut in.

He did place Sturridge in a similar role fairly consistently at Chelsea.

About VdV in that position I'm sure he could do a good job, although not perfectly suited for that role. In my opinion an inverted winger (or whatver you want to call it) should preferably have enough pace and a good enough weaker foot to be a threat going down the outside as well to not become predictable. VdV has a good right foot, but he's fairly slow so I imagine he would be cutting inside almost always.

He did place Sturridge in a similar role fairly consistently at Chelsea.

About VdV in that position I'm sure he could do a good job, although not perfectly suited for that role. In my opinion an inverted winger (or whatver you want to call it) should preferably have enough pace and a good enough weaker foot to be a threat going down the outside as well to not become predictable. VdV has a good right foot, but he's fairly slow so I imagine he would be cutting inside almost always.

And Sturridge was apparently quite unhappy about playing out wide. If true it makes the rumours of our interest in him a bit strange as I don't see him as the focal point of a 3-man attack.

I agree with having a thread like this, where all 'tactics talk' can just be dumped. There's a few on here who obviously think their scientific hyper-analysis of football is incredibly interesting to read. It isn't. It's mind-numbingly dull and boring, just as I'd turn off from anyone discussing the history of trains or which pile makes for perfect carpet.

I mean, do any of you armchair experts actually have any formal coaching qualifications anyway? Just wondering, as - if you don't - then it's quite a reasonable assumption to suggest that you may actually all be talking out of your self-important arses.

It does seem like Villas-Boas is the type to have a favoured system into which he will try and fit players, rather than being flexible and fitting a system around his players.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as we're willing to be patient and / or he's able to find the right players for the system quickly...

Defensively I think Walker, Ekotto, Kaboul and Gallas should all fit in quite well with a high-line / pressing approach. Dawson not so much - he always looks uncomfortable high up the pitch in space ...

Parker, Sandro, Livermore, Bale and Lennon should all be able to press well too ...

I don't know that much about his approach in possession, but I am looking forward to seeing us play more of a pressing game - I think it's the way forward if done right, and really enjoyable to watch.

Kaboul, Walker and Sandro all need to improve their passing imo. Parker too ideally, but possibly too late for him. Sadly I too struggle to see Dawson succeeding under AVB, but I've been wrong before.

Will be interesting to see how he works with Huddlestone and VdV who lack pace and mobility (Hudd)/discipline (VdV), also some of our players had reported problems under the fitness regime Ramos put in place, how will they respond to AVB? Ekotto is another question mark, didn't enjoy the tactical approach of Ramos, but flourished (imo) under the freedom given by Redknapp.

If he will try to build from the back consistently, something I find likely, we will need a goalie that's better than Fridel and Gomes with the ball at his feet and I think AVB might make that a priority.

I'm also excited to see how our pressing game develops under AVB, one of our weakest points under Redknapp I felt.

I agree with having a thread like this, where all 'tactics talk' can just be dumped. There's a few on here who obviously think their scientific hyper-analysis of football is incredibly interesting to read. It isn't. It's mind-numbingly dull and boring, just as I'd turn off from anyone discussing the history of trains or which pile makes for perfect carpet.

I mean, do any of you armchair experts actually have any formal coaching qualifications anyway? Just wondering, as - if you don't - then it's quite a reasonable assumption to suggest that you may actually all be talking out of your self-important arses.

What an utterly tossy post. Self-important arse

Or people are simply posting who they think AVB will sign and what formation he'll play.

Or people are simply posting who they think AVB will sign and what formation he'll play.

The temptation to follow him round and comment whenever he mentions anything about tactics is there..

But i have better things to do..

(Kind of reminds me of that 'I don't do politics' advert that was done a year or so back)

Surely a manager at a new club will play in a way that suits the players he has inherited plus those he buys?
Sure there will be basics that he fundamentally likes but i dont see that we should look at Chelsea and find identikit players to fit into that way of playing

Friedel

Walker Kaboul Vertonghen Ekotto

Lennon Parker Sandro Bale

VanDerVaart
Defoe

subs
Cudicini
Gallas
Livermore
Pienaar
Huddlestone
Dawson
Bentley

Rigid 442

Mark my words...

Derail:

Do you have formal qualifications on all topics you discuss in any detail? Do you ever discuss politics, finance, religion, music, art, fashion or whatever in any kind of detail? I take it you talk out of your own self important arse in that case unless you stay clear of all topics you have formal qualifications in.

Anyway, this should probably be in a new "should we have an own tactics" thread and the "are tactics discussions only for self important smart arses" thread.

Okay. But do we really need the boring, in-depth hyper analysis of formations?

I don't think we do. It's unbelievably boring.

But if we do, then why the crying from some about having a thread; a repository for such 'discussion'?

Back