• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are we over rating our players

Eriksen played as a number 10 type player at Ajax but coming in from the left. Likewise lamella played a similar role coming in from the right a roma. That could work if we had two fit attacking full backs which we having had since early September

Not saying you are wrong, as I haven't seen much of Ajax or Eriksen, but I thought I read an interview with him the other day where he says he played in midfield in a 433 and that he prefers that to the 4231 formation. I think it was on the telegraph, linked from this forum. I might have it wrong though.

Most of our ratings of players have come from what they have done at other clubs/teams. I dont think we want to contemplate the idea that some players are just not suited to football here as we have spent vast sums to get them here.

Most of our ratings of players have come from what they have done at other clubs/teams. I dont think we want to contemplate the idea that some players are just not suited to football here as we have spent vast sums to get them here.

Yep. Furthermore, a lot of these buys, especially the likes of Soldado, Eriksen and Paulinho had teams that were built around them in their previous clubs, giving them a fantastic platform in which to thrive on. What has happened now is that these guys have been assembled together in totally alien "team dynamics". It's only natural that some do not look so good at the moment, and that some may never adapt to our game.

An analogy would be the English national team. We have Lampard and Gerrard, both of whom have (had) their club teams built around them. When they play for England, this is not the case, and hence, its only natural that they do not replicate the level or type of performance that they produce for their clubs. I believe this is why you see so many players struggle when they move to another club that is bigger than their previous club. The player is no longer "top dog" and his new teammates won't necessarily play around the player's strengths. Torres to Chelsea, T.Henry to Barcelona, Carroll to Liverpool, Zlatan to Barcelona, Shevchenko to Chelsea. These are some examples of the point i am trying to make.

There's also the added pressure of making the step up. I assume that every single one of our summer buys believes that their move to Tottenham is a step up in their careers. This brings the pressure of having to produce performances on a more consistent level, and unfortunately some will inevitably not be up to the challenge. Also, we are genuinely considered a team challenging for a top 4 spot now. This means that when teams play us they will "up" their motivation and thus, performance levels. But also that a lot of teams will just sit back against us now. This obviously means that it will be harder for us to find openings and be able to hit teams on counter attacks etc.

This is partly why i suspect we didnt go for someone like Benteke. A player that looks sensational (at least he did last year lol). But it could be because teams leave gaps when they play aston vila defensively. And with his technique, pace and power he is able to regularly exploit this. For us however, this may not necessarily have been the case. Much in the same way Ashley Young looked great at Vila, but at Man Utd, serious questions are now being asked of whether he is a Man Utd standard player.

Back