• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

anyone had a problem with their achilles heel

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
Anyone ever had a problem with their achilles heel?

I take naproxen for a bad back/stiffness which I have done when it flares up for years(I only take when the is an incident) but recently I have tried using that for the issue I have with the achilles heel.

The problem is right on the heel on my left foot it looks like a bruise almost as if the bone is forcing its way out, it is further out then on the left foot. My hamstrings are tight so I have tried doing more stretches but I wonder if it is a case of after the horse has bolted.

I am reading up on a lot of things such as night splints you can wear when your sleeping, the problem I seem to find it is worse in the morning and eases off during the day, though the swelling is still there. But when I first get out of bed I can hardly walk.

I can not think of anything I have done for the achilles to flare up, the back usually goes when I have done a lot of cycling, but due to work commitments I have not done much cycling over the winter.

Anyone else have achilles issues?

I think you are describing plantar fasciitis.

I've suffered with it for years, ever since I broke both my legs.

IMO it is linked to tight hamstrings, that stiffness just pulls everything back and makes the tendon around your heel tight, then it shrinks and tightens during the night... then when you get up you rip all the fibres off your heelbone and then it loosens off after a bit... happens every day somehow... I massage it and sometimes wear a splint and it gets much better, but the morning after it is bad again.

I spent good money on orthotics for my shoes, they were terrible for me, so bad.

I haven't tried a night splint as the reviews on Amazon said people woke up with the blood cut off to their toes, concerns me...

You can get injections in your heels but there is a big danger of that going wrong if they inject too deep.

Most people get over it in a week and it's fine, but for me it happens all the time, I think due to my tight hamstrings due to snapping my legs and farking up my calf muscles.

Cycling so much may not help, I think that tightens your hamstrings doesn't it?

I think you are describing plantar fasciitis.

I've suffered with it for years, ever since I broke both my legs.

IMO it is linked to tight hamstrings, that stiffness just pulls everything back and makes the tendon around your heel tight, then it shrinks and tightens during the night... then when you get up you rip all the fibres off your heelbone and then it loosens off after a bit... happens every day somehow... I massage it and sometimes wear a splint and it gets much better, but the morning after it is bad again.

I spent good money on orthotics for my shoes, they were terrible for me, so bad.

I haven't tried a night splint as the reviews on Amazon said people woke up with the blood cut off to their toes, concerns me...

You can get injections in your heels but there is a big danger of that going wrong if they inject too deep.

Most people get over it in a week and it's fine, but for me it happens all the time, I think due to my tight hamstrings due to snapping my legs and farking up my calf muscles.

Cycling so much may not help, I think that tightens your hamstrings doesn't it?

Top post mate, Yeah I think it could be linked to tight hamstrings, do massages help I have been on youtube looking at exercises such as the foot lift on the stairs.

So do you get this every morning? it is almost unbearable for me at the moment.

Yes, every morning and every time I sit still for a few hours. My fault for buying a motorbike and thinking I was Evil Kneivel, but forgetting that he broke every bone in his body.

I find it helps if you stand tall and bend forward from the waist with one foot out in front, toe off the floor, one foot underneath you... then straighten your spine and it pulls your hamstring nice and tightly, you see footballers doing this. No need for stairs etc. Also I pull back on my toes and massage the underside of my foot to stretch it.

Yes, every morning and every time I sit still for a few hours. My fault for buying a motorbike and thinking I was Evil Kneivel, but forgetting that he broke every bone in his body.

I find it helps if you stand tall and bend forward from the waist with one foot out in front, toe off the floor, one foot underneath you... then straighten your spine and it pulls your hamstring nice and tightly, you see footballers doing this. No need for stairs etc. Also I pull back on my toes and massage the underside of my foot to stretch it.

Thanks for that, sorry for your pain though it is nice to know someone else has the same issues as me.

Do you do yoga or any of that stuff, I thought that hippy stuff cured everything and made you super flexible.

A friend of mine snapped his playing badminton, could hear it tear (sp?) across the room. He then died. Well no he didn't actually, but he did cry alot. Good luck with your problems, I'm sure you'll be fine.

I had an issue with mine, its correct its comes from tight hamstrings. i tried resting which helped but as soon as i started running again it would come back. So i swam instead.

I ended up getting acupuncture and the lady who did it also massaged all my legs. Had about 6-8 sessions and havent had a problem since.

I also did the exercises people mentioned in the thread.

Its a very annoying problem.

Careful every one, all this talk of Acupuncture and massage will bring the wraith of the far right on to our heads.

I suffered for plantar fasciitis for years, first time the doctor told me to rest and get supportive insoles so I did. Stopped running and just swam and lifted for three months. It went away but as soon as I ran or even walked it flared back up.

I got a referal to a Physio (one session on the NHS) and they told me it's tight calves so to perform heel drops on the stairs (10 with straight leg, ten bent leg then switch legs and repeat three times) and to get a foot roller and roll out my feet as often as possible. Still needed to rest.

Again it helped and a month later I felt fine. Went to run and it went again. Was reading everything I could online and there was no magic bullet, just people saying 'this stretch cured me', then someone else saying a different one)

Went back to the Physio (had to pay this time) and they said my calves were fine now and it was my hips... So they gave me some more stretches. Same story, got better and then went.

So rsther than going back and finding it was further up my legs/back I got a foam roller and a lacrosse ball and started rolling out my legs and back as well as my feet (search for eric cressey foam roller for tutorials) and also started doing a lot of yoga (there aren't many more complete dynamic stretching and balancing routines out there, if you can ignore all the crappy meditation and mystic nonsense).

Also rather than not run I rested it fully for a week, stretched out my heels some more and literally jogged round the block as slow as I could, every day after foam rolling and yoga.

Did that every morning and gradually ran a but further each time- building up to a mile was humbling as I was used to running 25 miles a week.

Six months later I was ok, now back running 20 miles + a week and feeling much more flexible.

Posture has improved massively too, I think with all these injuries it tends to be 'some' tightness or imbalance somewhere, but unless you're an expert or can throw money at someone who is the only options are trial and error or just hit absolutely everything in your body and try and get as flexible and as strong as possible.

@Ginolius Thanks for that, I have had some naproxen which seems to have helped but I know that will only be temporary. I have done a few stretched but am thinking of going to a yoga class in Brighton on Tuesday morning, one of the wifes friends goes there and said she would introduce me to the main guy, it is at the Brighton Buddhist meditation centre.

I am not religious but these guys seem to be healthy and I thought I would go to the place it all started. I need to change my life I think because it has been an absolute aarse trying to walk the last week.

Back