• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Re: Official - Townsend

Won't be too soon, he got injured at the end of the first half...recurrence of the hamstring injury unfortunately

Source? No mention of it on the offical twitter.

Tottenham Hotspur ‏@SpursOfficial 2h

U21 Half time substitution. Andros Townsend gets an impressive 45 mins game time and is replaced by Aaron McEneff #COYS

Source? No mention of it on the offical twitter.

Tottenham Hotspur ‏@SpursOfficial 2h

U21 Half time substitution. Andros Townsend gets an impressive 45 mins game time and is replaced by Aaron McEneff #COYS

source is me! I was there. When players cam out for second half, I asked Steffen freund how it looked, and he just pulled a face and said it was the same thigh...

So interesting comments from TS there indeed. If he is indeed more right footed in his shooting than left that could explain his wayward efforts earlier in the season. But also the comment about him slowing down seem to make a lot of sense as well. He obviously has it in him to hit long range shots on either foot, but he often seems to slash at it or hurry his shot. The same could be said of Bale when he first got into the team. I suppose that comes down to confidence and patience with the position you are in. If he can calm himself more and increase his accuracy he could be pretty lethal. When a player is predominantly one footed you often see the defenders cover that side. Dembele is a good example. They know to try not to let him shift it to his left. They try the same With Bale but his superior pace and build often allows him to still get his shots away.

With Townsend being truly two footed this would negate the defenders ability to close him out. With his pace and crossing ability it does feel that Andros just needs to calm down a little and he will get more goals. In the one game TS played him on the left he got some great crosses into the box and he surprised me how orthodox as a winger he could be.

I really rate Townsend and i feel he needs to be given the chances to prove what a player he can be.

source is me! I was there. When players cam out for second half, I asked Steffen freund how it looked, and he just pulled a face and said it was the same thigh...

That's what I read somewhere too, think it was Talksport. But I thinkn they were referring to the original injury - what are the physios doing ? Get well soon Andy.

That's what I read somewhere too, think it was Talksport. But I thinkn they were referring to the original injury - what are the physios doing ? Get well soon Andy.

Nothing to do with the physios, he was on fire for the first 40-odd minutes, but he just pulled up after a lung-buster of a run (frustratingly a lost cause run!)...and he felt it. Didn't look like the hamstring went, but he tried to run again, and couldn't so he walked off about 90 seconds before the half time whistle...

I were wondering if anyone else felt the same, that it's about time someone in the Spurs boot room had a word in the ear of Andros regarding his inability to look for the pass, rather than being constantly obvious in his pursuit for personal glory?

Does he really think that to be viewed as another Bale or a Robben, its only about scoring goals?

It's a team game and it's also about looking for the simple and key passes . IMO he really is letting himself down with his 'it's all about me' game play.

Against Dnipro Townsend just kept on shooting from crazy distances. Eventually Sherwood had to take him off. He needs to be told in no uncertain terms that he must NOT shoot from these long distances as the ball is only trickling back to the keeper. His shots last night were more akin to back passes.

I were wondering if anyone else felt the same, that it's about time someone in the Spurs boot room had a word in the ear of Andros regarding his inability to look for the pass, rather than being constantly obvious in his pursuit for personal glory?

Does he really think that to be viewed as another Bale or a Robben, its only about scoring goals?

It's a team game and it's also about looking for the simple and key passes . IMO he really is letting himself down with his 'it's all about me' game play.

I agree. It's been a while now, over a year since he started getting regular PL football at QPR, 10 PL starts this season + the EL games. I understand that he's desperate to prove himself, but he has to understand that proving himself is about playing well - not just scoring the occasional wonder goal.

About time for him to start showing improvement in his decision making, look to attack space when it's there instead of running down blind alleys, looking for the early pass when available and not be as easy to read when lining up for a shot.

As a side note i don't think the Dnipro away game was ever going to be his game. His first touch isn't the best anyway and on that pitch he wasn't helped, so much about his game is about running quickly on the ball and the pitch more or less made that impossible, he's also at his best when he has space to run into and Dnipro were happy to concede possession.

I understand why Sherwood started him though, giving him some match time after his injury is important and right now he's not first choice for the league games imo.

I actually felt very sorry for him last night. i dont think anyone would disagree that on current form (and yes he hasnt had a run of games to build up his form after his injury) he should be startng from the subs bench. the problem for me is mental.

he started so well at the beginning of the season and has since then not be able to perform to the same level. i think the worst thing that happened to him was getting the england call up. Deserved at the time but i think this is what is currently his mental block - every time he appears now it looks like he feels he needs to do that something extra special to keep front of mind and maybe nick a place to the world cup this summer. unfortunately its working in the opposite way for him - hes putting more pressure on himself to perform and when its no coming off his confidence falls even furhter. He looked gutted after he was subbed sat on the bench after that performance.

what he needs is someone to put an arm around him and take him under his wing and help the boy develop, because it looks like that development is what is missing. David Ginola said he would love to do this, seeing as he is getting his coaching badges, and for all the bravado i think this would actually be a very good idea - he needs someone who has 'been there done that' to help him develop his game.

he is still young and stil has a lo to learn, but if he could relax more, keep his game simple, work for the team rather than try be the next bale, i think he would find himself on the plane to Rio - it's not all about goals but asists as well.

I actually felt very sorry for him last night. i dont think anyone would disagree that on current form (and yes he hasnt had a run of games to build up his form after his injury) he should be startng from the subs bench. the problem for me is mental.

he started so well at the beginning of the season and has since then not be able to perform to the same level. i think the worst thing that happened to him was getting the england call up. Deserved at the time but i think this is what is currently his mental block - every time he appears now it looks like he feels he needs to do that something extra special to keep front of mind and maybe nick a place to the world cup this summer. unfortunately its working in the opposite way for him - hes putting more pressure on himself to perform and when its no coming off his confidence falls even furhter. He looked gutted after he was subbed sat on the bench after that performance.

what he needs is someone to put an arm around him and take him under his wing and help the boy develop, because it looks like that development is what is missing. David Ginola said he would love to do this, seeing as he is getting his coaching badges, and for all the bravado i think this would actually be a very good idea - he needs someone who has 'been there done that' to help him develop his game.

he is still young and stil has a lo to learn, but if he could relax more, keep his game simple, work for the team rather than try be the next bale, i think he would find himself on the plane to Rio - it's not all about goals but asists as well.

His decision making has been the same all season though, wasn't changed at all by the England call up.

I don't disagree that we need someone to help him out, although I'm not sure we have to turn to Ginola for that. We have a bunch of coaches.

His decision making has been the same all season though, wasn't changed at all by the England call up.

I don't disagree that we need someone to help him out, although I'm not sure we have to turn to Ginola for that. We have a bunch of coaches.

Yep his decision making is awful. I honestly do think he's just an incredibly over-rated player by both Spurs fans and the english media. That being said, AVB dropping him after the two England performances (IIRC he wasn't injured or anything???) can't have done much for his confidence.

As much as I try to like Andros due to his being a local product I can't... his selfishness grates. It genuinely feels like he goes out there every game for himself, not for the team. He's not uber young so I'm worried it's too late for him to learn the basics such as passing and first touch etc.

Weird thing is despite being poor bar four or five games I see him being on the plane to Rio regardless. Hodgson is an average manager let's face it but he loves direct players cos he likes to play on the counter attack after soaking up pressure. Townsend is at least good for carrying the ball up the pitch on the break so I see him going. But players like Lallana and Sterling contribute a hell of a lot more so he may have to settle for a place on the bench.

For us though, I'm just not sure I see him ever improving a great deal. It's not like our current wingers are even that good (Chadli), or they're out of form (Lennon) or position (Eriksen) so Townsend should be nailing the wing position down but he's showing no signs of doing so. It's a shame.

I think AVB dropped him to give him a rest so that he didn't burn out.

Lets be honest though, against Chelsea earlier this year he was one of our best players in the first half and actually got his head up and played in some of our other players. The "go for glory" mindset people are mentionning came about after his rest period. He as well as others (Holtby, Sig) continued to try to do too much as if they had no confidence of their place in the team, it actually became symptomatic of a lot of our play. For me the guy needs to just relax and focus on the basics for a couple of games. No shooting from range, no running down blind channels and no taking on 3 players when a simple pass could do the job. If he just starts playing like this everything else will click in to place.

Sherwood said a couple of months back about how beating a man was Andros' strength, but I think that that is the wrong was of looking at it. Just because he can beat his man, doesn't mean it is always the best option.

I think AVB dropped him to give him a rest so that he didn't burn out.

Lets be honest though, against Chelsea earlier this year he was one of our best players in the first half and actually got his head up and played in some of our other players. The "go for glory" mindset people are mentionning came about after his rest period. He as well as others (Holtby, Sig) continued to try to do too much as if they had no confidence of their place in the team, it actually became symptomatic of a lot of our play. For me the guy needs to just relax and focus on the basics for a couple of games. No shooting from range, no running down blind channels and no taking on 3 players when a simple pass could do the job. If he just starts playing like this everything else will click in to place.

Sherwood said a couple of months back about how beating a man was Andros' strength, but I think that that is the wrong was of looking at it. Just because he can beat his man, doesn't mean it is always the best option.

I disagree. Was the same all along from what I remember.

He seems to have lost a bit of that burst of pace that he had before his injury. Hopefully it's just a fitness thing.

I feel as though yesterday his decision making was atrocious, but back before his injury he got into better positions that he could quite rightly justify shooting in.

He can only play one way.
He looks dangerous on the break. When we're not counterattacking he's useless. He cant pass and he cant cross.
I'm not even gonna get into his stupid shooting habit - 1 goal (a complete fluke) from 62 shots this season.

He doesn't suit our team the same way darren bent didnt. We dont play on the counter.

Maybe we should have bitten Moyes' hand off when he apparently made an offer in January...

We should have, he would have been another "Young" type purchase for United.

Townsend appears to be that typical English player, pace, promise but not the application or mental ability to make that final step up.

To one of the other posters, we can and do play counter attacking, but having a guy who is 75% not going to pass doesn't help that aspect either

Back