• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

I don't like the idea of selling him and least of all to Southampton after their "we aren't talking to you about Schneiderlin" stance. Maybe this whole saga will come to an end with the Southampton board admitting that they needed to sell a player to get one that they really need.

Looking like Townsend may be sacrificed to clinch the Morgan S deal.

imo Townsend has an abundance of talent. He is quick, can be direct, can go by a player on either side, has a great left foot and a good right foot. And from what i have heard is dedicated trainer and very motivated.

BUT.....as was alluded to in the ITK thread he appears to have a problem taking in instructions (or at least carrying them out).

What i have particularly noticed is he is very capable of having a rounded game ie passing, inter-play, creating and shooting but he appears only interested in playing this way when he on the fringes and has been given an opportunity to impress. As soon as he has achieved a regular starting spot most of that goes out the window and reverts to just having endless shots.
I don't know if he thinks if he can do a Bale (probably misguided)? but it comes across as just plain selfish. Playing him on the right doesn't help as he constantly thinking of getting it on his left and blasting it.

It is a shame because when he has the rounded games he looks a real player. It's like shooting is crack to him, he tries to do the right thing then just relapses.

Useful squad player to have, but it appears that Chadli has jumped ahead of him in the queue for games, so it will be interesting to see what happens - can see a loan happening, i'm sure Arry would love to have him back.

was very surprised that he did not feature in the Europa game or the second league game, but Poch is the man picking the team and we can't complain if the team continue to perform, Andros will have to be patient. Have had high hopes for the lad - he just needs to be coached properly to help his development, which I think Poch will do if Andros has the patience.

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino insists that Roberto Soldado and Andros Townsend remain in his plans and will not be sold during the current transfer window.

Neither player has started either of Spurs’ two Premier League games this season, leading to reports that they may be sold before Monday’s deadline.

AC Milan have been linked with Spanish striker Soldado, who has struggled to justify the £26m Tottenham paid to sign him from Sevilla last summer, but did score one of the north London club’s goals in the 2-1 Europa League qualifying first leg win at AEL Limassol.

But Pochettino, who left Southampton to take over at Tottenham this summer, said: "Soldado is here. I never talk about any player rumours.

"He is in my plans. For the future? Yes. Yes. We've only had two games in the Premier League and one in the Europa League.

"I believe in all the squad. It is important you know I can only pick 11."

England international Townsend, who also started the European tie in Cyprus, saw his first-team opportunities limited by injury last season and has been linked with a move to QPR.

"He is in my plans," Pochettino said of Townsend. "It is impossible you play or have in the squad only 11 players - you need 24 or 25 players.

"I think we have to play a lot of games and it is possible you play tomorrow, then don't play in the next Premier League game, but the most important thing is understanding that we need to choose for the games.

"It is only 11 in each game after that another three impact players come in.

"We have an unbelievable squad and my job is not only to put my philosophy in the club or on the pitch on how we need to play, but I need choice and that is my job."

Pochettino confirmed that Townsend will be in the squad to face AEL in the second leg of the Europa League tie, as Spurs look to reach the group stages of the competition.

However, Soldado will miss out because of a problem with his back and neck.

So we have a Spurs product, a Spurs fan, an England international (briefly but a scorer), two footed to a very good degree, pacey...

Let's get feckin' rid FFS!!! Even before our new manager has had a chance to manage him!!!

I'm always a tad biased towards local and youth players but I can also spot a potential player (wasn't convinced by Caulker unfortunately).

Has Andros said he wants to leave? NO! FFS! Get behind the real Tottenham boys when they have something about them PLEASE!

I'd like to keep Townsend, seems ideal to cover for Lamela throughout the season.

Maybe we'll have Townsend covering Lamela and Kane covering Chadli?

Agree with the above two posts. I'd hate to see Andros go. If Southampton want some sort of swap deal for MS, they can have Paulinho instead!

So we have a Spurs product, a Spurs fan, an England international (briefly but a scorer), two footed to a very good degree, pacey...

Let's get feckin' rid FFS!!! Even before our new manager has had a chance to manage him!!!

I'm always a tad biased towards local and youth players but I can also spot a potential player (wasn't convinced by Caulker unfortunately).

Has Andros said he wants to leave? NO! FFS! Get behind the real Tottenham boys when they have something about them PLEASE!

What if people are unconvinced about him, like you were about Caulker?

I think most people are assuming that if we sell him it's because Poch is fine with us selling him, after having the chance to work with him for at least some time.

What if people are unconvinced about him, like you were about Caulker?

I think most people are assuming that if we sell him it's because Poch is fine with us selling him, after having the chance to work with him for at least some time.

Of course I'm all for the manager to make the decision - hopefully it's the right one in the long term.

As for the Caulker comparison; I think Andros has more to offer than Caulker did (respective of their positions). Forget the local thing for a moment - Andros is truly two footed - and as a pacey attacking player, that really stands out for me.

Of course I'm all for the manager to make the decision - hopefully it's the right one in the long term.

As for the Caulker comparison; I think Andros has more to offer than Caulker did (respective of their positions). Forget the local thing for a moment - Andros is truly two footed - and as a pacey attacking player, that really stands out for me.

My point about Caulker was that this was someone you were unconvinced about. What if others are similarly unconvinced about Townsend? Surely it's possible to be unconvinced about a pacey two footed attacking player? He has something that makes him stand out for you, clearly if he was standout for everyone in the same way everyone would want to keep him around.

I agree with you that he has something about him. Good dribbler, pace and strikes the ball well with both feet is not a bad start for a wide player. He has to add more than that to take the next step and I honestly have no idea if he can. Poch has had him around in training for a couple of months now so I'll be happy with whatever he decides.

My point about Caulker was that this was someone you were unconvinced about. What if others are similarly unconvinced about Townsend? Surely it's possible to be unconvinced about a pacey two footed attacking player? He has something that makes him stand out for you, clearly if he was standout for everyone in the same way everyone would want to keep him around.

If we're comparing the reasons why people think one should stay and the other go then we have to get into particulars for the positions they play in.

A defender's job profile is probably a little less demanding or complicated than an attacking player (note I say JP not job) and that comes from someone who played to a decent standard as a Sweeper/CB and LB (as I got older and slower :D). For me, a defender has to read the game first and foremost - they are watching the game, this gives them the advantage to utilise their physical abilities moreso and judge matters based on what they think they can do. They are reactive.

An attacking player is pro-active and has to create - they will make mistakes (see Lamela last week) but are allowed a bit more leeway because goals win games. If they can be more creative through their abilities then even better for them.

Just realised I'm going off one here and probably better I respond when I'm fresher in the morning. To simplify; I think Caulker compared to the market rate is average (based on my JP above); I think Andros has a lot more potential to be above market rate. That is my opinion and as I mention; it's moreso based on me playing in Caulker's position to a decent standard (for the record; I would have been his foil).

Back