• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Would agree with this, Lennon on the right Townsend on the left and lets get some width back into our game again.

With a counter attacking style the width would be massively beneficial. It would be less beneficial with the controlling style of play we are currently embarking on.

What's the point of crossing it when soldado isn't that big and there are two massive cb's in the box?

I would rather see progression than regression. Think the counter attacking style had it's limits and we had reached them.

Shaun Wright Phillips, Ruel Fox, Franz Carr, Lee Sharpe.

All good wingers yet all fairly forgettable and in the same talent grade as Andros in my opinion.

He has a lot of work to do to make the next tier of quality, ie, Kanchelskis, Ginola, Giggs and Bale - it takes consistent brilliance over a sustained period.

The problem with Siggy is that his best position is behind a central striker just like Eriksen. I would rather play a natural/pacier player on the left than Siggy

I know that should be Siggy's stronger position but he's always looked better for Spurs on the left side cutting in. Yet to see a fantastic game from him in the central role. I know his best work for Swansea and Reading came from there

With a counter attacking style the width would be massively beneficial. It would be less beneficial with the controlling style of play we are currently embarking on.

What's the point of crossing it when soldado isn't that big and there are two massive cb's in the box?

I would rather see progression than regression. Think the counter attacking style had it's limits and we had reached them.

Just because you play with two wingers does not mean you are a counter attacking side, i have watched Soldado in every game and he makes runs but has to stop because we keep cutting back inside. Give Soladao the crosses and he WILL score.

Shaun Wright Phillips, Ruel Fox, Franz Carr, Lee Sharpe.

All good wingers yet all fairly forgettable and in the same talent grade as Andros in my opinion.

He has a lot of work to do to make the next tier of quality, ie, Kanchelskis, Ginola, Giggs and Bale - it takes consistent brilliance over a sustained period.

Despite being a fan boy of townsend i agree with the gist of your post, i think the lad has great talent and always thought he was good enough for us and the prem. But the media really do go over the top, they did it in the summer when chamberlain scored in Brazil.

Townsend is good enough for the top flight how far he can go i doubt even the most experinced coaches know, he has all the skills in his locker like a lot of the ones you mentioned did. Takes more then a couple of good games, will be interesting watching him over the next few years. Think the main thing for him is to continue to get games to improve.

I know that should be Siggy's stronger position but he's always looked better for Spurs on the left side cutting in. Yet to see a fantastic game from him in the central role. I know his best work for Swansea and Reading came from there

I think the way avb sets us up that the central midfielders have to do a lot of covering where as the wingers or players cutting in get more chance to attack and have a shot.

lamela still on the right for me.

and personally i would still stick with siggy on left but having a right foot threat does make townsend just as a good an option......because of the added benefit of stretching the opposition

still siggy cause we need goals from that position as solly aint doing that at the mo

only if Rose is playing LB, Siggy with Naughton doesnt work

Just because you play with two wingers does not mean you are a counter attacking side, i have watched Soldado in every game and he makes runs but has to stop because we keep cutting back inside. Give Soladao the crosses and he WILL score.

It does not mean you are, however with strikers like Defoe and Soldado we should not be swinging crosses in from the byline. If we were swinging crosses in along the ground behind the back line then it would highly likely be from a counter attack which is where Soldado and Defoe would profit.

If we had strikers who were large and good in the air then sure, we could stick two wingers our there and throw crosses in at them.

All i really take from what you're saying is that Soldado hasn't adapted to how we play yet. I hope he does soon.

It does not mean you are, however with strikers like Defoe and Soldado we should not be swinging crosses in from the byline. If we were swinging crosses in along the ground behind the back line then it would highly likely be from a counter attack which is where Soldado and Defoe would profit.

If we had strikers who were large and good in the air then sure, we could stick two wingers our there and throw crosses in at them.

All i really take from what you're saying is that Soldado hasn't adapted to how we play yet. I hope he does soon.

Agree fully. A point that gets ignored way too often.

Massive difference between a cross like that and a cross put in against a well organized team in balance.

And in a match like West Ham he gave us nothing, he lacked either the trickery or the pace to get round their defence. I find it interesting that we signed Siggy after he had excelled in the previous two season in one position and then play him in a different position. I like Siggy but I fear we have brought too many players over the last two years whose best position is behind a central striker

But wingers who have the pace or trickery to go down the outside have a better chance of putting those crosses in

Quite right. Crosses don't always have to be hung up to the far post. Near post can be equally effective ( see the **** against us) or pulled back along the ground for runners coming in late can also pay dividends.

And in a match like West Ham he gave us nothing, he lacked either the trickery or the pace to get round their defence. I find it interesting that we signed Siggy after he had excelled in the previous two season in one position and then play him in a different position. I like Siggy but I fear we have brought too many players over the last two years whose best position is behind a central striker

Quite similar to what he did against Norwich imo, apart from the goals. Get him the ball in those dangerous areas in or around the box and he will be a real goalscoring threat and he can also play a good through ball. The rest of the game he will work hard and be fairly tidy, but mainly unspectacular on the ball. When the team doesn't function and doesn't get him the ball in those areas he doesn't really have the ability to change that much.

On the flank he will put in some decent crosses and take part in some combination play with the full back or a midfielder joining in.

Also, I'm not quite sure which two previous seasons you're referring to? He had half a season on loan at Swansea where he excelled, but his time in Germany was a lot more inconsistent from what I know at least. Part of the reason why they were happy sending him on loan to Swansea and letting him leave for a reasonable fee to ourselves/Liverpool/Swansea in the following window.

yep agree with this, also think that holtby might be best suited to this position as well.

Thats a ridiculous argument though. You could level the same thing at Eriksen or Townsend. Siggy has been our best left sided player. We were terrible against West Ham all round. They stifled us and we need a better solution next time against a team who plays in this way

Thats a ridiculous argument though. You could level the same thing at Eriksen or Townsend. Siggy has been our best left sided player. We were terrible against West Ham all round. They stifled us and we need a better solution next time against a team who plays in this way

our solution was on the bench and he never came on.

Townsend is good enough for the top flight how far he can go I doubt even the most experienced coaches know, he has all the skills in his locker. Takes more then a couple of good games, will be interesting watching him over the next few years. Think the main thing for him is to continue to get games to improve.

+1

Back