• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Ha ha, really?
Check out these results during Harry's first few months in charge and right after the feel-good 4-4 @ emirates, 2-1 over dippers and 2-1 @ City.

Everton - 0-1
West Ham - 2-0
Man U - 0-0
Saudi Sportswashing Machine - 1-2
West Brom - 0-0
Wigan - 0-1
Pompey - 1-1
Stoke 3-1
Bolton - 2-3
Filth - 0-0

That was a run that went from November 08-mid Feb 09.
No-one complained. No-one bitched and moaned. Everyone knew it would take time.
So please, do you possibly think that Andre Villas Boas deserves at least the level of patience the beloved, much-maligned and never ever appreciated poor old 'Arry got at the beginning of his Spurs career?

Different circumstances so it's difficult giving AVB the same amount of patience given to Arry when he first joined. After being rock bottom and not even looking even close to winning a game and suddenly experiencing home wins vs Bolton and Liverpool, an away win vs Emirates Marketing Project and a 4-4 draw away to our biggest rivals where we were 4-2 down after 90 minutes it's normal that you're going to give the incoming manager a bit of leeway when he starts experiencing indifferent results as you've already seen what can do and what can be achieved.

AVB has come into the club when we're on a high so naturally you expect more and naturally you would react in a negative way much faster if things are not going well (given what we've experienced in terms of brand of football and results over the last few years). You can't really compare the two imo.

Different circumstances so it's difficult giving AVB the same amount of patience given to Arry when he first joined. After being rock bottom and not even looking even close to winning a game and suddenly experiencing home wins vs Bolton and Liverpool, an away win vs Emirates Marketing Project and a 4-4 draw away to our biggest rivals where we were 4-2 down after 90 minutes it's normal that you're going to give the incoming manager a bit of leeway when he starts experiencing indifferent results as you've already seen what can do and what can be achieved.

AVB has come into the club when we're on a high so naturally you expect more and naturally you would react in a negative way much faster if things are not going well (given what we've experienced in terms of brand of football and results over the last few years). You can't really compare the two imo.

Not true. It should, by rights, be easier when you see the players he has not had at his disposal this season. My 'patience' comparison was strictly in the sense that both managers came into difficult situations. One came into a squad which was under-achieving enormously (I was speaking to Clive Allen right around the time Ramos got the tin tack and he told me unequivocally that the squad was lost, had really been rocked by losing Keane who was a leader, and only needed some confidence to get it moving again - all of it something we could see for ourselves anyway). The other came into a squad who had been absolutely bristling with promise and potential, nearly fulfilled but not quite. No-one mentioned the departure of key players or injuries to others, it was (from the first match) a comparison-test with Harry Redknapp. My point was to illustrate to Jurgen that many supporters offered Harry a lot of patience. I offered him patience many times over, from that period of time to the half season in 2010/11 which went pear-shaped to bitter end, where I waited and waited and fudging waited for some culpability from him. But there was none. So yes, my patience was spent. But it took a lot longer than 12 matches.

And you know? Sadly, I agree that there are many who hold the view and perspective you've put forth there.
I am just largely appalled by it.

I think some people really have blanked out the end of Redknapp reign and just remembered the good times.
We were on a run of 4 league wins in 13 league games when AVB took over.

I keep reading this on this forum. Does anyone have any links from when he was a Spurs stating he wanted to take his family back? The only links I have been able to find are ones where he has said he was happy to stay at Spurs.

Did you read the comments from his wife?

i don't understand this logic - surely everyone should be patient with the new manager regardless of what they thought of the previous one?

why do you draw a link between the two? what is it about wanting Redknapp out that makes supporting the new manager funny?

I actually find it more telling that several of the people who were at loggerheads with those who wanted Redknapp out seem to be overly critical of everything Villa Boas does and seem to not be giving him much time at all. that would be some not all btw

The logic is - you support AVB - therfore you must hate Arry and vice versa

Similar to posters who have to disagree with posts of their foes on here even it makes them look like fools.

Same with AVB/Arry - those who didn't want him gone - feel a divine right to have a go at AVB for every little thing

Last edited:
why not discuss the fact that on Saturday, for the first time in 3 years we saw GENUINE ATTEMPT to TACTICALLY SWITCH and chase the game even with 10 men. I believe it is the first time we have gone 3 at the back for a few years...but that's probably far FAR too positive, sorry! (not aimed at you personally push and run, just sick of all the relentless fudging quibbling!)...

=D>

Hopefully a sign of things to come

Did you read the comments from his wife?

Is that relating to Rafa? If so, i was in the dentists yesterday reading an article about Sylvie in some gossip magazine. She was talking about how hard it was to travel from London to Germany for filming all the time. She has just landed a spot on "Wetten Dass..." and was talkign about how her career had suffered etc.

It was 100% a family decision for Rafa to go back to HSV. Anyone claiming otherwise i'd have to assume has some kind of agenda.

She really is a massive star over here.

Is that relating to Rafa? If so, i was in the dentists yesterday reading an article about Sylvie in some gossip magazine. She was talking about how hard it was to travel from London to Germany for filming all the time. She has just landed a spot on "Wetten Dass..." and was talkign about how her career had suffered etc.

It was 100% a family decision for Rafa to go back to HSV. Anyone claiming otherwise i'd have to assume has some kind of agenda.

Yes, mate - that's the one

She tweeted later on that day to say 'Thanks for the memories but we must go home now'

He also said 'My kid was born in Germany, my wife works in Germany, our nan is German, I played in Germany - I'm practially German'

I have no idea why so many choose to ingore these direct comments from Rafa and Syvie themselves but opt for the PR-censored SSN interviews from 'coaches'

Last edited:
Why are people so desperate to make huge deals out of everything that can be used as a negative?

Had VDV gone to Russia or something I could understand the speculation, but he went to where his wife spends most of her time. We got an offer that was found to be acceptable and gave him a choice. Maybe AVB wasn't desperate for him to stay, so what?

Rafa and his wife can say whatever they want after it's happened but i prefer to believe what i hear beforehand. When the coach of the football club says in an interview that if Rafa leaves Tottenham it will be down to him (AVB) and nobody else and it's him that's responsible for who he wants to sell then that's good enough for me.

Now could VDV behind the scenes have said he'd welcome a return to Germany? maybe he did i don't know but i'm of the opinion that an offer was put on the table that Levy thought was excessive considering age, he went to AVB and spoke about the offer being a very good one and asked if he is relying on VDV this season, AVB siad it was ok to sell so Levy sold. It's entirely plausable that during this time VDV spoke to Levy saying he wouldn't be against a return to Germany which was a factor in Levy's decision to cosider the bid.

Why are people so desperate to make huge deals out of everything that can be used as a negative?

Had VDV gone to Russia or something I could understand the speculation, but he went to where his wife spends most of her time. We got an offer that was found to be acceptable and gave him a choice. Maybe AVB wasn't desperate for him to stay, so what?

It's an attack on AVB by the pro-Arry/anti AVB mob (either / or - note who is the NEW 'OLD' poster who brought it up again) and a relentless smearing campaign to suggest HE purposefully let one of our best players go essentially undoing the good work Redknapp did (forgetting it wasn't even him who signed VdV in the first place). Or in other words - he made us 'weaker' on purpose

The timeline is rather simple, to my mind - Rafa wanted the best for his family, a good offer came in, Rafa spoke to Levy and AVB, the let him go

Last edited:

True. The fact is we we will probably never know the facts either.

Last edited:
Attack on AVB? WTF man just wtf.

If he doesn't rate him that's his right. I haven't seen one post attacking him for not rating VDV and even though i rate VDV i get why he wouldn't want him (if that was the case) purely based on his prefered system/formation. Nobody is attacking anyone or even insinuating that so no need to be so dramatic.

It's an attack on AVB by the pro-Arry/anti AVB mob (either / or - note who is the NEW 'OLD' poster who brought it up again) and a relentless smearing campaign to suggest HE purposefully let one of our best players go essentially undoing the good work Redknapp did (forgetting it wasn't even him who signed VdV in the first place). Or in other words - he made us 'weaker' on purpose

The timeline is rather simple, to my mind - Rafa wanted the best for his family, a good offer came in, Rafa spoke to Levy and AVB, the let him go

Pro-AVB/Anti-Harry? Definitely paranoid!

As for the topic at hand, it is more than possible to be a fan of a Manager but deride him for some of his decisions, just like it can be possible to be a fan of a player but deride them for a poor performance or attitude in a match.

I was disappointed by the club's decision to let VDV go. I rate AVB very highly and I think given time could well be the best Manager we've had since Bill Nick. Redknapp was no more than a stop gap who did a brilliant job but was never going to take us to the next level so I think the change of Manager was harsh but understandable. So I am happy AVB has replaced Redknapp as I think he is a better Manager. But would Redknapp have let VDV go without a fight? Probably not. And I think AVB made a mistake allowing VDV to go, but again I understand why because VDV doesn't fit into AVB's preferred style of play. I am still not happy about it though.

Attack on AVB? WTF man just wtf.

If he doesn't rate him that's his right. I haven't seen one post attacking him for not rating VDV and even though i rate VDV i get why he wouldn't want him (if that was the case) purely based on his prefered system/formation. Nobody is attacking anyone or even insinuating that so no need to be so dramatic.

I think he could be David Icke in disguise!

That was after he left wasn't it? PR machine in full swing towards the new club. I want to see quotes from when he was a Spurs player.

You can't choose to validate certain quotes as true and others as PR-flimflam - depending on your agenda

Either / or - no grey areas

Why would he or his wife 'lie' about it anyway? Is it beyond reasonable doubt?

These are all facts below - coming from the man himself not AVB

'My kid was born in Germany, my wife works in Germany, our nan is German, I played in Germany - I'm practically German'

You can't choose to validate certain quotes as true and others as PR-flimflam - depending on your agenda

Either / or - no grey areas

Why would he or his wife 'lie' about it anyway? Is it beyond reasonable doubt?

These are all facts below - coming from the man himself not AVB

'My kid was born in Germany, my wife works in Germany, our nan is German, I played in Germany - I'm practically German'

OK, so what about the quotes by him before he was sold where he said he was happy at Spurs, his family were settled in England and that he was going nowhwere? Or do you think he was lying when he said that? And if he was lying when he said that what makes you so sure he was lying them but telling the truth for a quote that suits your perception of the situation?

Here is what I genuinely believed to have happened

- he did enjoy London and Spurs - hence his respectiful comments prior to his move - I think he wanted to stay deep down.

- his wife however might have put pressure on him to consider a return having failed to make CL and essentially competing on a similar level to HSV

- a solid offer came in - agent/Levy/AVB/himself - all sat down and discussed it

- he explained his family stance and his wife's situation

- a decision was made to take the good offer and keep everyone happy

Many players have made career decisions on family in the past - why is this one any harder to believe / accept?

Back