• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

THIS, THIS, THIS. For too many years going a man down has almost been an excuse to capitulate; only Ramos seemed to have us regularly set-up in a way that we didn't capitulate after going a man down. We were a goal up, and if we were going to lose it should not have automatically have been by such a margin.

Also, AVB's comments about us being control from start to finish (or something like that) was truly baffling. Hopefully there is a misquote somewhere

this was weird, all the journos have picked up on it and think he is bonkers if he believes this.

all this about yesterdays capitulation under AVB.....well, under Redknapp we had 2 famous capitulations, at Utd after being 2-0 up, and against the scum last year again after being 2-0 up. Both times we didnt go down to 10 men early on

its in the Spurs DNA to be brick mentally. I dont think AVB should be blamed for this aspect when its deeply ingrained in the club no matter the players no matter the managers

Sadly, This. Only Ramos arrested this "we're down a man, so let's just fold" mentality a little

Sadly, This. Only Ramos arrested this "we're down a man, so let's just fold" mentality a little

its not just about going down to 10 men, its the general mentality. Ramos may have arrested that aspect, but then he also delivered the 2pts from 8 games, plus the horrendous run till the end of the previous season after winning the carling cup.

Jol had his lasagnegate moment, Redknapp had the disastrous run last season when we comfortably had 3rd place. We have a history of folding when it matters

its not just about going down to 10 men, its the general mentality. Ramos may have arrested that aspect, but then he also delivered the 2pts from 8 games, plus the horrendous run till the end of the previous season after winning the carling cup.

Jol had his lasagnegate moment, Redknapp had the disastrous run last season when we comfortably had 3rd place. We have a history of folding when it matters

Doesn't really count as folding.

this was weird, all the journos have picked up on it and think he is bonkers if he believes this.

well, he is right, but I think he should have kept it to himself.

We were in control until Ade went off. We went into complete meltdown until halftime. 2nd half, we were in control man down, apart from 5 minutes when Arsenal were simply passing the ball inside their own half. 5-2 does not tell the story, but it is incredibly annoying how we lack talent in front of goal.

I have been one of AVB's biggest critics, but there were encouraging signs from him yesterday. Having said that, a few major blunders once again need to be talked about. Let's start with the positives. He took a gamble in setting up with a 4-4-2 away to Arsenal. It's the reason our season ended as badly as it did last year. We all knew they'd have an extra man on us in the centre and we could leave ourselves exposed. But AVB also realised that Arsenal's confidence was low at the moment and if we could pin them back they'd start to crumble. And it really worked. We took the initiative to them, got ourselves in front, and for the first 20 minutes we were comfortably the better side. We were playing effective attacking football, the type we have been desperate to see the team play all season. The other major positive was the tactical switch at half time. I knew we had to change something, my first thoughts were to take off Naughton, as he was getting raped by Walcott, and bring on Dempsey, moving Bale to left-back. That would leave us a bit less exposed and allow Dempsey to cut inside and Bale to overlap when we went forward. What I didn't think of was to take off both full-backs and pack out the midfield. It worked very well and I thought we played quite well in the second half with 10 men. If Bale had passed to Defoe to tap into an open goal and make it 4-3 instead of whipping it across the goal himself, who knows what we could have got from the game? I was pleased to finally see an intelligent use of substitutions and tactical switch, something I've been slagging him off for not being able to do on a weekly basis.

However...he must accept some of the blame for his tactical decisions too. For starters, playing Lloris in goal. It's something I've wanted to see for a while, and I thought Lloris was generally quite good yesterday, one outstanding save from a header in particular. But I thought the whole point of not playing him yet was to slowly integrate him into the side? If that's true, why throw him in at the deep end, in the derby? He must have been under huge amounts of pressure, not exactly a slow integration is it? It's a bizarre strategy and I really don't think the way AVB is handing this situation is good. I thought he should have saved Giroud's goal personally.

But my bigger gripe with AVB today was the slow response to the red card. As I mentioned earlier, he made a very intelligent tactical switch in the second half. But why the fudge did he wait until then? The reason why the 4-4-2 was going to work against Arsenal was because Adebayor drops deep and acts as an extra body in midfield when we need him there, and it also prevents them from pushing too far forward as we have two strikers they need to worry about if we counter. As soon as Ade goes off, those things aren't true any more, so we should have changed the formation. I have seen a 10 man 4-4-1 work well in the past, we all remember Berbatov's outstanding performances in the Emirates Marketing Project away cup win and the 4-1 win at home to Bolton, but the reason he could play that role is because his hold up play was truly world class. Defoe isn't that kind of player, and this was a recipe for disaster. It it had been Defoe that got sent off, I would have said keep the formation for a little longer and see how it goes, because at least Ade could hold the ball up a bit. But we kept it, for almost half an hour and 3 goals longer than we should have done. The Arsenal players and crowd were buoyed by the fact that one of our players, and not just any player, but Adebayor, had been sent off, and we knew an onslaught was coming. The thing to do there would have been to get physical, aggressive and in their faces, as we were still winning and if we could fight back with a great big fudge you until the crowd had started to get frustrated again, we'd have had a decent chance. Instead...we gifted them 3 goals. If AVB hadn't realised what was coming when the red card happened, the first 5 minutes of constant Arsenal pressure before the equaliser should have been enough to get the message to him. Then the first goal came, then the second, then the third. The whole way through I was screaming for a change, but by the time it came, the match was over. The best managers don't wait until half-time to change things around, they spot when something is wrong and change it straight away. AVB's indecisiveness has cost us for the second week in a row.

What change would have made when he was sent off?

Naughton off, Dempsey on, Bale to LB. A bit more defensive presence in the middle of the park was what was needed, and Walcott was tearing Naughton a new one. Dawson then coming on for Walker so we could go 3 at the back and pack the midfield was a good decision, though as I said, not one I'd have thought of myself.

Inter away - came back from 4-0 down to 4-3 with 10 men
Saudi Sportswashing Machine at home - Kaboul was sent off in the first half, we then maintained possession extremely well to close out the half before scoring two second half goals to win the match
Villa away - Defoe sent off in the first half, continued to play excellent counter attacking football and scored one of the goals of the season in the second half to win the game
Arsenal away - two goals down at half time, looked like game over in a fixture we hadn't won in 17 years - ended with 3 points to Tottenham
Arsenal home - Fought back from 3-1 down to get it back to 3-3, and in the end we could have won the game

The problem came back a bit last season...the only real example I can think of from there was when we fought back from two goals down to City away and probably should have won the game.

Some really deluded people in this thread.

The facts are...

Yes we are weaker than last season (although it didnt have to be that way if AVB had managed to persuade some foreign talent to join rather than good players from small prem teams, something HR was criticised for). But just because we are weaker, it doesnt mean we write off our season. We are still probably in the same position seeing as Arsenal also are weaker and there isnt a squad outside the obvious 4 that is better than ours. Therefore come the end of the season anything outside of the top 5 is failure - it isnt the end of the season yet so its perfectly acceptable to wait and see, but so far we are no on course.

Yes AVB is seen as a longer term project (apparently), but that doesnt mean you have to put up with brick performances week after week. The project is about taking us from consistent 4th/5th to challenging at the very top. The way people are talking here its as if we need to wait 2 years until we can think about getting back to 5th. Any manager brought in for the long term still has to achieve right now to show he is good enough for the long term. If you have a brick manager, the longer you let him run the club the more damage he can do (im not saying AVB is brick btw).

Yes AVB was hired by Levy, but anyone that thinks he cant get sacked this season is a mug. From Xmas onwards Levy will fire him if things get really bad - by this I mean if we lose a load more games, its not possible before xmas as there isnt enough games to lose. Again im not saying this is what will happen, but Levy has proven in the past he acts quick when he thinks things aren't working. Hoddle, Jol and possibly even Ramos were early sackings when a lot of chairmen would have let them have a bit more time. And if he wasn't impressed with what our last 3 managers were doing, why would he be impressed with what AVB is doing if this carries on throughout the season.

Today WAS unlucky for AVB that he lost Adebayor, but it doesn't mean you have to get hammered. Plenty of teams get results with 10 men. It was a chance for him to do something impressive, Arsenal have had their worst start for 31 years so its not like we are playing a top top team. But whereas today you can put the performance down to a bit of bad luck, but to be honest it was just another brick performance to go with many of the others we've put in this season - it cant be down to bad luck every week.

Just because you wanted HR gone, it doesnt mean you have to think AVB is the answer. There is a very blatant correlation between people who hated HR and used every minor fault as a reason to get rid of him, and people who make every little excuse for AVB. Forget the past, lets start talking about what is happening now. So far, really bad performances and a lot of really dodgy results. No point trying to say it any other way. Perfectly acceptable to be saying lets give him more time and see what happens, I wouldnt want to sack AVB anytime soon, but no point in denying the start we have made.

I think it's clear we may have to take some steps back, in order to ultimately go further forward. It's clear when we play the poorer teams at home that it's a problem with the game plan 'clicking' rather than actually getting ripped apart or because the players aren't motivated or because they aren't playing for the manager. AVB is trying to get our players to think about the game in a different way, and be able to counter different types of situations. And it's the kind of thing that because it's quite a different philosophy, it may take a while to not only understand, but be able to carry out in competitive matches. But once it does click, we could be all the better for it.

It's not just about brick managers and good managers. I don't really think there is any such thing. There is the right managers for the right club. Do you actually think AVB is brick? What is it about him exactly? That he doesn't 'get' tactics? That the players don't like him? Why are you against him so much? Yes results aren't great, but we are 8th in a highly competitive league and we have already had one historic result this season plus a good run of form. Performances have been poor, but it's so clearly because the way of playing and thinking about the game on the pitch hasn't clicked for the players yet, rather than any actual problem with the manager. And that's the nature of transition, especially to a highly different way of playing from the previous guy. It's also the nature of losing a legendary centre back alongside one of the best midfield play makers in world football. Yes we have got some good players in to replace them but again, it will take time for them to play he wants.

I suspect he could quite easily get good results and performances by carrying on with Harry's preparation style and keeping the changes to an absolute minimum, but then the players wouldn't be learning how to play in a way that would see truly consistent performances that could reach the heights we want to reach, without the money to get there a quicker way. And to do that, it will take a period of transition. Of course results are dodgy, of course performances could be much improved. But this is a highly competitive league season. Man United have already lost 3 games. Arsenal have made their worst start for decades. West Brom are shocking everyone. There are no easy games.

Levy has seen too many good managers come through now, and I think he is too wise to think results can be instant. He knows what he wants to turn the club into, and I think he has realised that giving a manager time for a long term project is the only way at a club like ours if we want to compete with the best. What exactly do you want to happen? Sack AVB and start again, when he is nowhere near getting the type of players that would work for his ideal style of football? Madness. If after 2 seasons we've provided him with good players that he wants and there is still no progress, then by all means sack him. But until then we will not have given time enough to see if his methods can get us to where we want to be.

And the stuff about moaning about us not doing well with ten men...in a North London Derby...come on. Sometimes you just have to accept that we probably aren't going to win. AVB came out of that game with a lot of credit yesterday, and deservedly so.

well, he is right, but I think he should have kept it to himself.

We were in control until Ade went off. We went into complete meltdown until halftime. 2nd half, we were in control man down, apart from 5 minutes when Arsenal were simply passing the ball inside their own half. 5-2 does not tell the story, but it is incredibly annoying how we lack talent in front of goal.

so we were not in control for 90 mins

some of the players were affected, but the ones that werent should have performed better.

I seem to remember that we had so few available players that at least two were ill whilst on the pitch. We were effectively playing with 8 or 9 men in West Ham's cup final.

How about you address some of the issues he raised. Rather than making a throwaway comment like that.

Anyone who starts a thread with the words Some really deluded people in this thread. is not here to debate with anyone, just throw insults around, or do you disagree with that?

W5, D2, L5

Says it all - this has been a poor season so far. All down to poor leadership at the top (Levy), what was he thinking when he appointed avb? Especially when Moyes practically said he'd be interested on the BBC!!
Yesterday was yet another example of what is wrong with our club. Years of mediocrity needs good leadership to shake off!

I seem to remember that we had so few available players that at least two were ill whilst on the pitch. We were effectively playing with 8 or 9 men in West Ham's cup final.

imo it was food poisoning combined with a serious case of bottling it Tottenham style which led to all that happened that day

i cannot think in the history of football of another team going through something like that.....lots of clubs have mega important games, league or cup, and yet what happened to the Spurs players that day in May seems to be pretty unique

W5, D2, L5

Says it all - this has been a poor season so far. All down to poor leadership at the top (Levy), what was he thinking when he appointed avb? Especially when Moyes practically said he'd be interested on the BBC!!
Yesterday was yet another example of what is wrong with our club. Years of mediocrity needs good leadership to shake off!

wasnt impressed at all with how Moyes led Everton during the FA semi against Liverpool....Liverpool were there for the taking, Everton even went 1 goal up and all Moyes did was to instruct his team to hold onto that goal lead which of course they failed to do

It was a big game, and he blew it.

Back