• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AFC B'mth and Mr EH

Briddo1882

Erik Edman
I had a really interesting meeting today at AFC Bournemouth with a senior exec - my business produces Video Brochures and I am trying to get into football and rugby clubs.

Anyway, we got on the subject of football, Spurs and managers and my contact was giving me a bit of an insight into how EH runs Bournemouth.

1) I think that bloke has one of the safest jobs in Football - from top to bottom he is liked and most importantly respected. He could take them down and the board would stand by him

2) EH doesn't take any brick. The players do not cross him, any that do are moved on.

3) they don't feel they have found JD's best position, and they are trying to work out the best way to play to get the most out of him

4) JD is used as an example to young pros

5) EH is building a team ethos like Poch at spurs

6) They have a "fines/forfeits" board in the dressing room, so if a player comes in and doesn't behave in an appropriate, respectful manner representing the club (and it can be something trivial like parking their car badly) then they are in the hat to prick up a forfeit or fine that weekend.

7) Community is massively important

Probably the most interesting thing was about transfers. Players are brought in based on a number of factors, ability only making up about 50% of a reason to purchase. The look at personalities, age, they take references etc. At Bournemouth, EH is 100% in charge of player recruitment, they have a recruitment team who view hours of footage, look at stats before they view the player. Only then do they approach the parent club and agent.

I just thought I'd share because those of us that often think clubs panic buy are probably wrong and those that do are the ones that have problems.

They haven't been very good at this transfer thing since coming up. Spent a lot of money on players that aren't good enough.

Like Wigan and Martinez, they're liked because they try to play nice football, but it's just a question of when relegation happens.

They haven't been very good at this transfer thing since coming up. Spent a lot of money on players that aren't good enough.
Are you doing that thing where people write off players in their first season at a club? Or were the season before buys bad?

Are you doing that thing where people write off players in their first season at a club? Or were the season before buys bad?

Last season and the one before. They've spent around 90 million since coming up, but the side is still carried by the freebies that got them promoted. Not seeing much of that smartness in the market any more.

Lewis Grabban 8 million - semi regular for a year before being shipped out on loans
Joshua King 1 million - decent PL player. Had a very good streak last season and could earn them back a lot of the money they've spent
Benik Afobe 10 million - in and out of the side
Lee Tomlin 3 million - handful of appearances before being loaned out and later sold
Max Gradel 7 million - regular until injured, now out on loan
Tyrone Mings 8 million, barely played
Marc Wilson 2 million - didn't make a single league appearance before being sold
Brad Smith 3 million - backup LB
Jordon Ibe 15 million - massive flop
Lewis Cook 7 million - hardly played
Asmir Begovic 10 million - good buy
Nathan Ake 20 million - okay player, but not worth 20 million

There has also been a lot of free transfers like Boruc, Distin, Murray, Federici, Mousset, Defoe.

Three good or even very good signings in King, Begovic and Gradel and some decent ones for squad filler, but also a lot wasted on older players. How can he sign Defoe and not know how to use him? I don't see Howe as this brilliant coach he is made out to be. A top Championship club is about his level.

Like Wigan and Martinez, they're liked because they try to play nice football, but it's just a question of when relegation happens.
Or he has to learn and adjust. And succeed with a couple more transfers.

No doubt relegation could happen for them this season, but I think Howe has it in him to turn it into a solid season for them.

Last season and the one before. They've spent around 90 million since coming up, but the side is still carried by the freebies that got them promoted. Not seeing much of that smartness in the market any more.

Lewis Grabban 8 million - semi regular for a year before being shipped out on loans
Joshua King 1 million - decent PL player. Had a very good streak last season and could earn them back a lot of the money they've spent
Benik Afobe 10 million - in and out of the side
Lee Tomlin 3 million - handful of appearances before being loaned out and later sold
Max Gradel 7 million - regular until injured, now out on loan
Tyrone Mings 8 million, barely played
Marc Wilson 2 million - didn't make a single league appearance before being sold
Brad Smith 3 million - backup LB
Jordon Ibe 15 million - massive flop
Lewis Cook 7 million - hardly played
Asmir Begovic 10 million - good buy
Nathan Ake 20 million - okay player, but not worth 20 million

There has also been a lot of free transfers like Boruc, Distin, Murray, Federici, Mousset, Defoe.

Three good or even very good signings in King, Begovic and Gradel and some decent ones for squad filler, but also a lot wasted on older players. How can he sign Defoe and not know how to use him? I don't see Howe as this brilliant coach he is made out to be. A top Championship club is about his level.

It's really not that bad of a record all in all. A success or two more in that list and it would have looked quite good. Those are fine margins.

They’ve had terrible luck with long term injuries to be fair as well.

Was just thinking this morning actually that Everton could do a hell of a lot worse than go for EH. Hardly ground breaking thinking I know, but I reckon he’d suit them and it would be someone the crowd could get behind which they need right now.

Anyone know the ins and outs of what happened with EH at Burnley?

They’ve had terrible luck with long term injuries to be fair as well.

Was just thinking this morning actually that Everton could do a hell of a lot worse than go for EH. Hardly ground breaking thinking I know, but I reckon he’d suit them and it would be someone the crowd could get behind which they need right now.

Anyone know the ins and outs of what happened with EH at Burnley?

His wife had a breakdown so they moved back south to be closer to family. Howe is an Everton fan though.

I think he is doing a fantastic job with a club who would be doing well to be at the third teir on the league structure. They have always been the poor relations to the Saints and Pompey and have a tiny stadium. The pool of players available for them to sign is limited and they must be prepared to take a chance on some player, I thought Afobe would develop into a good player and Wilson has had some bad injury problems. I dont know if he could do a good job at an other club but he will never get the support at an other job as he gets at Bournemouth.

Back