• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Adebayor, Kaboul, Capoue...

I don't think Soldado turning out the way he has changes whether or not people had good reason to doubt a big money bid for Benteke. On paper Soldado was a forward with a good goal scoring record over many seasons and approaching what should be a forwards 'best years'
I thought a majority on here wanted Benteke that summer when we could've (should've) got him?

I don't think Soldado turning out the way he has changes whether or not people had good reason to doubt a big money bid for Benteke. On paper Soldado was a forward with a good goal scoring record over many seasons and approaching what should be a forwards 'best years'

Yes ... but in a different league! All we needed to remember was one name... Morientes! We dodged that bullet but boy did we get the second - bang between the eyes.

Yes ... but in a different league! All we needed to remember was one name... Morientes! We dodged that bullet but boy did we get the second - bang between the eyes.

Well yea, however i can bring up Ricketts, Phillips, Stewart and so on as reasons to be cautious with Benteke

I thought a majority on here wanted Benteke that summer when we could've (should've) got him?

There was enough people in the opposite camp to create debate on the matter. Im only saying that it was not as ridiculous of an opinion as MF has made it out to be

Well yea, however i can bring up Ricketts, Phillips, Stewart and so on as reasons to be cautious with Benteke

Add a more recent example of Michu to that list as well. Benteke could turn out to be the nuts in our colours, but there's absolutely no guarantee that would be the case. I feel some people on here are talking like its a no brainer that he'd be a huge success, I think that's easy to say without it being able to be proved.

One can be cautious - or too cautious - with any new signing. For every dud, there is a Berbs, Suarez, Bale, Modric, who some well known people didn't fancy at the outset.

Be bold, be brave, be Benteke.

preach on

Bent 32 league starts for us 18 goals we have had much worse he also scored 24 for Sunderland the season after we sold him and we couldn't find anyone who could score but let's all pile on how about how **** he was

Spot on, I thought Darren did OK for us and we got our money back, we'll never get anything like the money we paid for Soldado back. I only wish Soldado had Bent's goal return. I want him to succeed but he's up there with David Bentley for me as one of our worst ever signings.

There was enough people in the opposite camp to create debate on the matter. Im only saying that it was not as ridiculous of an opinion as MF has made it out to be

Add a more recent example of Michu to that list as well. Benteke could turn out to be the nuts in our colours, but there's absolutely no guarantee that would be the case. I feel some people on here are talking like its a no brainer that he'd be a huge success, I think that's easy to say without it being able to be proved.

I remember there were those that thought Andy Carroll would be a great signing.

One can be cautious - or too cautious - with any new signing. For every dud, there is a Berbs, Suarez, Bale, Modric, who some well known people didn't fancy at the outset.

Be bold, be brave, be Benteke.

Spot on, I thought Darren did OK for us and we got our money back, we'll never get anything like the money we paid for Soldado back. I only wish Soldado had Bent's goal return. I want him to succeed but he's up there with David Bentley for me as one of our worst ever signings.

Why is this in a thread about the faith of Ade, Kaboul and Capoue? There are plenty of other threads to discuss (failed) strikers and signings! Time to get back on track!

Phillips as in Kevin Phillips?.... He was a bloody good striker who scored a decent amount of goals throughout his career and did so for pretty average teams.

I read a piece about Rickets a while ago that talked about him losing heart and desire after not getting his move to us. Granted that's not the best advert for his attitude but I think he would've been successful at Spurs at the time Hoddle wanted him.

What happened to Stewart in the end?.... Did he get a move to a 'big' club? My memory deserts me.

Personally I see less reason to be cautious with a signing like Benteke who has at least proven that he CAN score goals in the Premier league than with a player like Soldado who never had (although I must confess that when we signed him I thought Soldado would be great for us - I think I even had 20 quid each way on him being the league's top scorer that year!)

So... any more interest yet?

So far just rumours of Besiktas and Everton wanting Kaboul

Phillips as in Kevin Phillips?.... He was a bloody good striker who scored a decent amount of goals throughout his career and did so for pretty average teams.

I read a piece about Rickets a while ago that talked about him losing heart and desire after not getting his move to us. Granted that's not the best advert for his attitude but I think he would've been successful at Spurs at the time Hoddle wanted him.

What happened to Stewart in the end?.... Did he get a move to a 'big' club? My memory deserts me.

Personally I see less reason to be cautious with a signing like Benteke who has at least proven that he CAN score goals in the Premier league than with a player like Soldado who never had (although I must confess that when we signed him I thought Soldado would be great for us - I think I even had 20 quid each way on him being the league's top scorer that year!)

Im not sure why yourself or MF feel the need to being Soldado in to the equation.

Benteke was, at the point we're talking about, a striker who had one good debut season to his name - it's entirely reasonable that there were posters who were skeptical as to whether he justified a 25m fee.

Im not sure why yourself or MF feel the need to being Soldado in to the equation.

Benteke was, at the point we're talking about, a striker who had one good debut season to his name - it's entirely reasonable that there were posters who were skeptical as to whether he justified a 25m fee.

I think it's reasonably obvious why Soldado was brought into the equation.... The summer in which we could've brought in Benteke we ended up instead signing Soldado for pretty much exactly the same fee that Benteke was going to cost us. There is therefore a comparison that can be made between the two players (admittedly with the benefit of hindsight).

Of course it was reasonable that there were posters who were skeptical as to whether Benteke justified a £25 million fee, I do not dispute those reasons at all. The problem is that if striker consistently performs in the PL for 2 or 3 seasons then they are elevated to a level beyond our reach (i.e. Bony now seemingly off to Emirates Marketing Project) so any striker we take will have to be something of a gamble. However something that I perceived that summer was that many of those who questioned the quality of Benteke and the fee being mooted for him seemed to be more than happy with us spending the same money on Soldado - a player who represented just as big a gamble (and perhaps an even bigger gamble seeing as he had never played in a league as fast paced and physical as the premiership)

Anyway to go back to one of the three players in the thread title - unfortunately I doubt that the rumoured interest from Everton is anything other than a rumour. Hopefully the Besiktas story has some legs however.

Last edited:
Can i just add that i am EXTREMELY glad beyond all manner of measure that we didnt get Benteke

If we did we would never have gotten soldado who flopped royally and we wouldnt have kept adebayor for long...whose inconsistent play combined with solly's soul destroyer confidence issue led to the development and exposure of a soon to be spurs legend

HARRY KANE!!!! KING KANE!!!

not even sure if we should be getting rid of these guys

Its a squad game these days. we might actually need them

The only one that I would keep is Adebayor. He is clearly a (very) good striker when his head is right.

Kaboul I don't think is the same player he was a few years ago. I think his injury woes have got the better of him - it seems to me as though he has lost a lot of mobility and also no longer looks to be dominant in the air.

Capoue I just don't think suits our team. He has serious mobility issues and extremely slow and ponderous on the ball.

Totally agree African. They need to be replaced OR, more realistically, rehabilitated as I argue here

They need to go, at least 2 of them (Ade/Kaboul) are both on higher wages than squad average, and will never see anything close to their best days again.

Add the disruptive influence (allegedly), the fact that none of them play Poch,s tempo, work rate style game only adds to the point.

Better off going with Academy kids if we can't get squad cover

Back on topic, I don't see how we can let Adebayor go in our current state. He hasn't played for awhile but we will need another striker at some point this season and it doesn't look like we are buying one. People assuming we are letting Ade go you are comfortable finishing the season with just Kane and Soldado? IMO I would rather hope that Ade comes back into form than hope for Soldado to magically hit soem useful form. Putting it simple one as shown he can do it for us the other hasn't.

Kaboul I think we are better position to let go. We have Jan and Fazio who have formed a good partnership and then Dier and Chiriches for cover. That should be enough cover at CB.

Capoue is just a terrible footballer and we should take any offer on the table. I don't see the point in keeping him for "depth" because if he plays at all we are fooked

Back