• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Abuse.

raboner

Banned
so first off, i am not trying to undermine or cause any dissent here, but i wanted to try and gauge the general GG populous' opinion on current moderation. specifically re: 'perceived abuse.'

this is a message i received from a moderator recently who i won't name, as i'm not trying to turn this into a witch hunt, i just want to see if the general user-base (even other mods) find this heavy-handed, as i certainly do or did.

"I'm sorry that you feel like that. If you intended the posts to be received as tongue in cheek, you should have made it clear that was how they were intended. I think that the posts below overstep the line.

Originally Posted by raboner
WTF is your deal man? are you in fact JJetset? Jordinho Jetset?

that's why you post all his tweets isn't it? self promoting son of a b*tch.

I have seen several posts today where you have had a dig at the mods. If I see you do this on the board again, I will issue you with further infraction points and you will serve a one week ban or longer."

WOW i thought. the posts i made were directed at Jordinho and made as a light-hearted jibe at the lameness of ITK and at his insistance of posting and defending their drivel.. as far as i know, i am not the only poster to have a dig at some of the more ludicrous ITK offerings.

personally, i feel that if Jordinho was offended by these posts (i'm not quite sure how that's possible to be honest) he should have contacted me rather than having me receive a one-day ban and further infraction points.

as i've mentioned, i'm not trying to undermine anyone and i accept the punishments put in place, i just want to see how my fellow GGers would feel if they were banned for a day then threatened with further weeks banning for daring to question the authoritah! of some of our moderators.

peace!

Maybe the power has gone to someones head.

I see mods as someone who should come along and intervene when someone is being really abusive/breaking the law or persistently doing something really annoying. Anything else just let it go, waste of their time more than anything to be nit picking the way some posts were in the Hudd thread for not being entirely on topic (as if your ever going to go and create a whole new thread the minute a new point comes up).

They are needed here and should be appreciated, but if they take the role too seriously then they could spend half their life monitoring this site. They shouldnt have to give up that much free time.

Mate,

I think there's a genuine effort on the part of all mods to try and keep out of things as much as possible whilst keeping GG a place where everyone has passionate, yet cordial, exchanges.

Sometimes, even the placement of a wink icon, or smiley-face, or whatever icon actually, can elevate a post which "could" seem personally rude to one which is meant to be received with a wink and a nod towards sarcasm.

Sadly, the whole ITK thing seems to really get some people's goat. Personally, I don't understand the fuss. If people think they're a bunch of tossers, then once one's general opinion on their tossery has been aired publicly (if necessary) don't read what they say or just ignore them!!!

Basically, the mods try very hard to only act when something threatens egregiousness/to become egregious, and as such, there are rules about that sort of thing mate.

Probably doesn't answer your question raboner mate, but please know it's never a personal thing and much more about trying to stem potential problems.

COYS

Mate,

I think there's a genuine effort on the part of all mods to try and keep out of things as much as possible whilst keeping GG a place where everyone has passionate, yet cordial, exchanges.

Sometimes, even the placement of a wink icon, or smiley-face, or whatever icon actually, can elevate a post which "could" seem personally rude to one which is meant to be received with a wink and a nod towards sarcasm.

Sadly, the whole ITK thing seems to really get some people's goat. Personally, I don't understand the fuss. If people think they're a bunch of tossers, then once one's general opinion on their tossery has been aired publicly (if necessary) don't read what they say or just ignore them!!!

Basically, the mods try very hard to only act when something threatens egregiousness/to become egregious, and as such, there are rules about that sort of thing mate.

Probably doesn't answer your question raboner mate, but please know it's never a personal thing and much more about trying to stem potential problems.

COYS

appreciate the level-headed response steff (as usual).

i realise it's not a personal thing, i am merely trying to raise some awareness and get a bit of a consensus as to whether in this particular instance, perhaps the mark was overstepped a little..

i think it's valuable to discuss this stuff, rather than just brush it all away and leave people confused or frustrated

as an example, a day after my ban, Jordinho blatantly told a poster to 'fudge Off!' without any winks or icons. ;)

it smacked of hypocrisy to me, but hey, that's just my view.

thanks again for the response.

The example of Jordinhos you point out very clearly had a message underneath explaining the joke I believe ('note to readers ' or something which was quickly commented on by Greg who it was aimed at) .

You have to remember sarcasm or 'humorous insults' don't always come across as such in text and without context just seem like attacks.

One of the things that posters have consistently told us they want stamped out is the culture of aggressiveness, insults and abuse that has slowly become more prevalent on this board and to more than just the mod in question your post seemed like outright bullying.

As stef says, use some smilies or be a bit more verbose to eliminate any chance of being misunderstood as clearly you didn't come across as intended with those posts.

Moderators try to understand the situation and get a good perspective of all posts hence why things are discussed so they don't get the wrong end of the stick - mistakes still happen but in a thread where so many people had been warned to stop the abuse you could and should have made your humour a lot clearer.

appreciate the level-headed response steff (as usual).

i realise it's not a personal thing, i am merely trying to raise some awareness and get a bit of a consensus as to whether in this particular instance, perhaps the mark was overstepped a little..

i think it's valuable to discuss this stuff, rather than just brush it all away and leave people confused or frustrated

as an example, a day after my ban, Jordinho blatantly told a poster to 'fudge Off!' without any winks or icons. ;)

it smacked of hypocrisy to me, but hey, that's just my view.

thanks again for the response.

No worries mate, I agree that discussions like this can absolutely be constructive and informative as long as they avoid getting into personal insults (which obviously this thread has not)...I'm happy to try and help out whenever I can mate. We are all Spurs supporters after all. And as Ginolious pointed out, I think as long as a joke is explained, it doth not matter whether that be with smilies, emoticons or simple words ;-)

This is an internet forum, there is no body language and we don't all know each other.

You might write "that's why you post all his tweets isn't it? self promoting son of a b*tch." thinking that no-one will take it seriously because you would never write something like that while being serious. You know that, that doesn't mean everyone else knows that.

If what you write isn't clear it will be misunderstood by some, why not make the effort to be clear and add a smiley or something.

so first off, i am not trying to undermine or cause any dissent here, but i wanted to try and gauge the general GG populous' opinion on current moderation. specifically re: 'perceived abuse.'

this is a message i received from a moderator recently who i won't name, as i'm not trying to turn this into a witch hunt, i just want to see if the general user-base (even other mods) find this heavy-handed, as i certainly do or did.

"I'm sorry that you feel like that. If you intended the posts to be received as tongue in cheek, you should have made it clear that was how they were intended. I think that the posts below overstep the line.

WTF is your deal man? are you in fact JJetset? Jordinho Jetset?

that's why you post all his tweets isn't it? self promoting son of a b*tch.

I have seen several posts today where you have had a dig at the mods. If I see you do this on the board again, I will issue you with further infraction points and you will serve a one week ban or longer."

WOW i thought. the posts i made were directed at Jordinho and made as a light-hearted jibe at the lameness of ITK and at his insistance of posting and defending their drivel.. as far as i know, i am not the only poster to have a dig at some of the more ludicrous ITK offerings.

personally, i feel that if Jordinho was offended by these posts (i'm not quite sure how that's possible to be honest) he should have contacted me rather than having me receive a one-day ban and further infraction points.

as i've mentioned, i'm not trying to undermine anyone and i accept the punishments put in place, i just want to see how my fellow GGers would feel if they were banned for a day then threatened with further weeks banning for daring to question the authoritah! of some of our moderators.

peace!

:ross:

on a serious note - seems like 6 of one half a dozen of the other tbh.

that transfer thread got a little heated and people got all up tight and overly sensitive

re; mods - i think they do a good job on here.

there has been a slight move towards a more proactive policing approach over the last 6 months (for good reason if i remember), but maybe it has gone a little too far?

that said, i think a lot depends on what is happening with posters - if people are just leaving (are they!?) because of the same few idiots week in week out (think Jan/feb this), then that is a problem that needs a proactive approach.

maybe we need to promote the use of reporting (maybe people do report to mod - i dont know!), so any offensive is not taken on someone else's behalf.
that said - some people may be reluctant to report.

and maybe everyone should think a little before they post.

Raboner; re; you post above (highligted) - if you read them back, they could have very easily been meant in a jokey way or an agressive way.

re; the mod - the sensible solution between the two you would, surely, have been to come to a middle ground;
Raboner - apologies. No offence meant in my posts, misunderstanding.
Mod - appreciated. Please understand the potential offense caused to other posters.
Both - line drawn. job done. move on.

and i also agree with your follow up.. i think the way it was handled (receiving threats after an already fairly harsh punishment) was the thing that soured me most.

Back