• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Abolish Injury Time

Richie

Naybet
Injury time is quite simply a farcical concept. Why can't they let referees stop like clock like in every other sport? Blow the whistle at 90 minutes, while allowing the last attack to happen as happens now at the end of the game.

I just don't see the point.

Subs in injury time should be banned. If your not on by the 90th min then you miss out.

Agree with OP, why not just have an official timekeeper who stops the clock for injuries, stoppages, subs etc? Then there would be no argument whatsoever about the amount of injury time there should or shouldn't be.

agree with Richie and Armenia Spur too. The NBA and NFL do it easily, so should football especially at the top levels. This would really help the amount of abuse refs get post-games too. As the time the ball was in play will be exact and fair. The only issue left re time wasting from players would be that they can still kill the momentum of the game by delaying the re-starts. But overall having someone like the 4th official timekeeping is a must in my opinion.

So what if you're defending a 1 goal lead in injury time and one of your defenders breaks their leg?

Hardly fair!

If you made concessions for injuries players would just fake it. I know what your saying, but how many times does that happen..............Probaly the same amount of times a defender breaks a leg now, and you have used all your subs and you have to play out the game with ten men.

The most entertaining moments in football happen in injury time. We won the league in it, but have also lost to Man United (4 times in 4 years) in the added time. Injury time doesn't really make sense, but is well worth the entertainment value.

i think what the OP was suggesting was that the 4th official keeps time with a stop watch.
everytime the ref blows up for a stoppage in play. the time will be frozen too until play re-starts.
therefore eliminating the need for the 4th official to hold up a stoppage time board after 90min.
but rather, this new method would ensure that for exactly 90min the ball will be in play. no more, no less.
(fans will see exactly 90minutes of football)

i don't see any need to change it :~

there isnt a real need to change this. but i personally feel it would go a small way to ensure fairness in the game and also reduce the angst against the refs that sometimes arises due to injury time issues

Not exactly the most urgent rule change needed is it.

For me the best change would be to award a pen against violent conduct regardless of where it happens on the pitch. The perpetrator would also be sent off of course.

its definitely not the most urgent change needed. but, its one of the least controversial and easiest to introduce

Besides, surely every team benefits from injury time events as they are scuppered by them? It is a very idealistic way of viewing things, but these things DO kind of sort themselves out. United win the Champions League with two goals in added time… they lose the Premier League to their city rivals with two goals in added time. Does no-one else find it weird?

Personally, I think if there are 3 minutes injury time the game STOPS at 3 minutes, no sooner, no later.

I don't care if a corner is awarded, you're through on goal, 3 minutes hits the clock, the whistle is blown.

SWP29, you may very well be right. and i for one feel that for the most part injury time is administered in a relatively accurate and definitely unbiased manner. however, there are many fans who dont think this. hence the existence of the "fergie time" myth. and this simple change would sort this out. and in addition, the accuracy of the game being 90minutes exactly will be improved too, which can only be a positive

Injury time is quite simply a farcical concept. Why can't they let referees stop like clock like in every other sport? Blow the whistle at 90 minutes, while allowing the last attack to happen as happens now at the end of the game.

I just don't see the point.

The big problem is UEFA and FIFA want Barcelona vs Milan treated the same way as Piddle Athletic 6th Team vs Manure Rovers 6th.

In principle it is a great idea. The clock should stop every time there is a break in play. But then you cannot have 90 minutes actual play. It could turn into an American Football scenario.

I am both for it and against it.

It's all about fitting TV schedules.

Add a proper time keeper, with time remaining posted on a clock, a la NFL, NBA, NHL, and it's likely that football matches would surpass the two hour window they now conveniently fill.

At present, match officials are made well aware of the need to get the match done within a certain time frame so that a pre-sold amount of advertising can be delivered. As a result, a lot of wasted time goes unaccounted for. That would be a very hard aspect of the game to overcome.

I should make it clear. I don't think the clock should stop for every throw in, corner or goal kick. I want to see it like Rugby where the referee has control over the clock and can stop it as needed. He can stop the clock for injuries, substitutions, time wasting and talking to players.

The majority of injury time exists just to add time back to the game for substitutions. 30 seconds is added to injury time for each sub which is pointless when you can just stop the clock.

It would also stop time wasting by feigning injury. We all know injury time doesn't adequately account for stoppages, allowing the referee to stop the clock would help a lot in that regard. As soon as play stops and medical staff come on, the clock stops and is restarted when the game restarts.

There is no reason a referee from a 5th division club couldn't implement that, so continuity throughout the leagues can be maintained.

It's all about fitting TV schedules.

Add a proper time keeper, with time remaining posted on a clock, a la NFL, NBA, NHL, and it's likely that football matches would surpass the two hour window they now conveniently fill.

At present, match officials are made well aware of the need to get the match done within a certain time frame so that a pre-sold amount of advertising can be delivered. As a result, a lot of wasted time goes unaccounted for. That would be a very hard aspect of the game to overcome.

Again, I don't want the clock stopped in the same way as happens in the NBA or NFL, but the referee should have discretion over the clock as they do in Rugby, thus eliminating injury time.

Advertising is a non issue IMO. Advertising happens pre-game, at half time and at full time. Whether a game takes 110 minutes or 120 minutes to complete makes no difference to that. There have been a number of times when we have seem 10+ minutes of injury time before, I remember a game when Corluka went down with a head injury and the clock kept running the whole time. Should have just been stopped and restarted.

yeah the timekeeper concept is a great idea. it should be shown on the clock in real-time for added effect. might spawn whole new tactics around added time.

advertising is a non issue but an indefinite end time causes havoc to TV programming for live games, and obviously that is going to impact TV rights bidding. In the end, it will still boil down to entertainment value and how easy it is for TV stations to manage.

Back