• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

A premier league title at any cost?

spitshine

Sebastien Bassong
Looking at the situation at Leicester - going from premier league champs to possible relegation this season it's made some of us think what would we be prepared to sacrifice if we won the league.

How many of you will accept a lower than mid table finish or even relegation the following season.
Even a couple of seasons in the championship or league one for a season but of course no one could take that league title away from us.

Looking at the situation at Leicester - going from premier league champs to possible relegation this season it's made some of us think what would we be prepared to sacrifice if we won the league.

How many of you will accept a lower than mid table finish or even relegation the following season.
Even a couple of seasons in the championship or league one for a season but of course no one could take that league title away from us.

I don't see how one follows the other. Leicester didn't sacrifice anything to win the league. They had a freak season where everything went their way. It was a 1/1000 occurrence and this season they have gone back to their natural position. We are where (or close to where) you would expect us to be at this point in the season.

When was the last time and team made a decent fist of defending the title?
It's mentally and physically gruelling and every team suffers the next season.
Leicester are just crud and finding their level now.

I see You've been reading Gary Linekers tweets

Only two types of teams get relegated: Newly promoted teams who do not have the the assets required to stay up or teams that have been in the bottom 6 for 3/4 years as they have stood still.
Leicester was a complete fluke, how many times last season did they face teams which parked the bus against them? in most of their games they had less possession, even against teams that got relegated.

Only two types of teams get relegated: Newly promoted teams who do not have the the assets required to stay up or teams that have been in the bottom 6 for 3/4 years as they have stood still.
Leicester was a complete fluke, how many times last season did they face teams which parked the bus against them? in most of their games they had less possession, even against teams that got relegated.

And tons of luck. In every single game. Especially in the second half of the season when we were chasing them, decisions went their way and the opposition missed blinders game after game after game. It was ridiculous. It would be funny if someone made a compilation of all the luck they had. Out of this world.

I would suffer the indignity of a relegation for a title.
I find myself agreeing with you far too often.

While we're in dreamland, how about winning the Champions League from Div 1? Oh sorry, I meant "The Championship".

Actually, does winning The Championship count as a trophy?

While we're in dreamland, how about winning the Champions League from Div 1? Oh sorry, I meant "The Championship".

You get the bucket and it's on Wikipedia, so I would say yes. :D

Not for me, progressive improvement is more important

No, you've finished 21st in the league

Last edited:
No, I don't think I would.
Ultimately it has to be what is best for the club, and getting relegated wouldn't be good in any way, even if we had a PL title.
A title and a lower than mid-table finish? A bit more palatable maybe but that would undoubtedly mean losing players and having to start rebuilding, yet again. So not in the best interests of the club either.
Thus I will reluctantly give up on this hypothetical league title.

If we weren't in the situation we are in now, and were a perennial lower half of the table or yo-yo club like Leicester (*urgh*) then yes I'd go for it.

I would gladly win the title if it meant us finishing 2nd winning the Champions League the season after.

I don't see how one follows the other. Leicester didn't sacrifice anything to win the league. They had a freak season where everything went their way. It was a 1/1000 occurrence and this season they have gone back to their natural position. We are where (or close to where) you would expect us to be at this point in the season.

I think they have.
The players have clearly dropped off considerably now they are on their new mega contracts and they are content for life with their medals.

I don't think I could take relegation the season after winning the league, it would seriously devalue the title win imo. Everyone would know it was just a fluke.

I see You've been reading Gary Linekers tweets
Nope! What's he been saying?
I guess they have a free ride as they are a far smaller club, have been down recently so it's not a shock.

But for us to swap regular top 4 v A premier league title and relegation with no guarantee of coming straight back up. Could threaten our long term stability on top of the huge amount of stick we will get.

Not for me, progressive improvement is more important

No, you've finished 21st in the league
Fair point. I was thinking more along the lines of these two scenarios:

A. Win PL, get relegated, bounce straight back up after a glorious record-breaking campaign.
B. Finish 2nd, then 3rd.

Point taken about instability and possible relegation being disastrous to the long term health of the club. But if I could promise a return to top 4 after a couple of seasons, wouldn't you take that PL trophy? The one that'd be remembered for decades, like Blackburn and Leicester's winning campaigns?

Oh, and of course we couldn't win the CL while in The Championship. Unless we'd won it (or the Europa) the season before!

Nope! What's he been saying?
I guess they have a free ride as they are a far smaller club, have been down recently so it's not a shock.

But for us to swap regular top 4 v A premier league title and relegation with no guarantee of coming straight back up. Could threaten our long term stability on top of the huge amount of stick we will get.
Gary Lineker ‏@GaryLineker 21h21 hours ago
If it were a choice, I'd prefer Leicester to drop 3 divisions than take away last season's miracle.

No, I don't think I would.
Ultimately it has to be what is best for the club, and getting relegated wouldn't be good in any way, even if we had a PL title.
A title and a lower than mid-table finish? A bit more palatable maybe but that would undoubtedly mean losing players and having to start rebuilding, yet again. So not in the best interests of the club either.
Thus I will reluctantly give up on this hypothetical league title.

If we weren't in the situation we are in now, a perennial lower half of the table or yo-yo club like Leicester (*urgh*) then yes I'd go for it.
Well Chelsea have hardly had to rebuild but it's looking like it's their title once again this year.

Finishing mid-table the season after winning the PL might indeed mean losing one or two key players to the likes of Barca or RM but regrettable though that would be it need not also mean wholesale rebuilding.

Such a decline might be down to a raft of other factors, eg a combination of long-term injuries and/or loss of form to key players or simply the collective backwash on a squad that needs a bit of time to regroup and rediscover the desire.

Overall I'd argue it would be quite a small price to pay for landing such a coveted trophy.

Back