• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

3D-Printers: Genius or Insanity?

Spursalot

Jimmy McCormick
US government orders removal of Defcad 3D-gun designs

The BBC's Rebecca Morelle saw the 3D-printed gun's first test in Austin, Texas

The US government has demanded designs for a 3D-printed gun be taken offline.

The order to remove the blueprints for the plastic gun comes after they were downloaded more than 100,000 times.

The US State Department wrote to the gun's designer, Defense Distributed, suggesting publishing them online may breach arms-control regulations.

Although the files have been removed from the company's Defcad site, it is not clear whether this will stop people accessing the blueprints.

They were being hosted by the Mega online service and may still reside on its servers.

Also, many links to copies of the blueprints have been uploaded to file-sharing site the Pirate Bay, making them widely available. The Pirate Bay has also publicised its links to the files via social news site Reddit suggesting many more people will get hold of the blueprints.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22478310

It's far too late for the US to do anything about these plans. I am reminded of the case last year when someone posted a 'sneak preview' of the spurs new kit, that happened to have his mate in it. It took five minutes for him to realise, and in those five minute the pictures had gone viral and there was absolutely no way of stopping them.

Granted, weapon blueprints might be a little more alarming, so more shall be done to curb the tide. However on an internet where Governments are failing to curb the behaviours of groups of individuals that deem themselves 'Anonymous' is there any hope in the removal of these plans? Is there even any point in trying? Even if they did remove these designs it would not be long before there are others on the internet.

The implications of a 3D printer are huge, but just like the vast majority of technological advancements the 'need' for weaponising seems to be one of the first thoughts out there.

Anyone own a 3D printer?

No point in trying to fight it, 3D printers are the future.

Maybe soon everyone will have one in the house, that would be fantastic. The ability of anyone to design and manufacture products in a cost effective way. It will revolutionise the world.

Was thinking about the existence of these plans on TPB. Much like it would be really easy for me to hide a trojan in an app download, couldn't someone alter the plans so the the gun had a weak point and it injured/killed the person shooting? How much do those printing these guns really know about the engineering of them?

Was thinking about the existence of these plans on TPB. Much like it would be really easy for me to hide a trojan in an app download, couldn't someone alter the plans so the the gun had a weak point and it injured/killed the person shooting? How much do those printing these guns really know about the engineering of them?

This guy obviously has an issue with the current gun control debate going on in the US. In an attempt to solely prove his point, he has now given the world the ability to produce firearms outside of any moral regulation or restriction. Idiot.

No point in trying to fight it, 3D printers are the future.

Maybe soon everyone will have one in the house, that would be fantastic. The ability of anyone to design and manufacture products in a cost effective way. It will revolutionise the world.

It renders completely useless the ability of individual nations to regulate the manufacture of any item whatsoever. The implications are massive. Do you think this will force countries to come together (like the UN) to solve these issues that cross international borders with no restriction, and in turn make the world a safer place with more international dialogue and co-operation, or will it result in a crackdown on accessibility to the internet similar to China's stance?

I work in design and manufacture, creating molds for plastic products. I've had limited exposure to 3D printers but I know how far they've come in the past decade. They've become very affordable and the cheaper printers can create decent, albeit small-scale parts.

When printing firearms, however, I still think the tech has a way to go since the plastic will warp and bend (provided it doesn't explode) with each firing. Plastic simply can't handle the conditions that exist when the bullet is fired.
The fear with firearms is that these weapons can be disposed of rather easily and can't be traced to any particular source.

But for standard household items, 3D printing is great. Anything that you lose or break can be replaced very easily and cheaply. The material for some printers can be bought on a spool and doesn't cost more than $50.

This guy obviously has an issue with the current gun control debate going on in the US. In an attempt to solely prove his point, he has now given the world the ability to produce firearms outside of any moral regulation or restriction. Idiot.

He's a bit of an anarchist, for sure. Believes everyone should have access to firearms. He actually makes the classic conservative gun-nut look sane.

I work in design and manufacture, creating molds for plastic products. I've had limited exposure to 3D printers but I know how far they've come in the past decade. They've become very affordable and the cheaper printers can create decent, albeit small-scale parts.

When printing firearms, however, I still think the tech has a way to go since the plastic will warp and bend (provided it doesn't explode) with each firing. Plastic simply can't handle the conditions that exist when the bullet is fired.
The fear with firearms is that these weapons can be disposed of rather easily and can't be traced to any particular source.

But for standard household items, 3D printing is great. Anything that you lose or break can be replaced very easily and cheaply. The material for some printers can be bought on a spool and doesn't cost more than $50.

Could you expand on the types of items that can and can't be produced using one of these household printers please? For instance, is it limited to plastics only and can they only replicate other plastic items etc

Last edited:
Could you expand on the types of items that can and can't be produced using one of these household printers please? For instance, is it limited to plastics only and can they only replicate other plastic items etc

There are 3D printing methods that allow you to print in other materials, even in metals or glass. But the household 3D printers only print in various plastics, as far as I know. I'm guessing the other types of printers that do metals are very costly.

You print an item based on a 3D part of what you want to create. You can digitize (scan a 3D object using special hardware) to get a 3D model, but you can also print something completely novel based off a design on a computer.

The limitations of printing vary based on what kind of printer you have. For example, an object like this:

========
========
===
===

...would require a special printer to create that undercut, which involves building support material that acts as a scaffold essentially, to hold the rest of that plastic that would otherwise be suspended in mid-air. I'm sure there's a few other technical limitations, but you can create most any object. It's less limiting than making an object from a mold. Apart from firearms, I've seen designs for plastic bongs out there, so really it's up to your imagination ;)

Of course, if you print anything with the Spurs logo on it, you will probably get a letter in the mail ordering you to cease and desist.

It renders completely useless the ability of individual nations to regulate the manufacture of any item whatsoever. The implications are massive. Do you think this will force countries to come together (like the UN) to solve these issues that cross international borders with no restriction, and in turn make the world a safer place with more international dialogue and co-operation, or will it result in a crackdown on accessibility to the internet similar to China's stance?

I don't see what governments can possibly do. It would be like trying to prevent people from burning pirate CD's or printing books. Impossible to stop.

The gun he's printed looks scary, but it stills needs gunpowder ammunition so governments will still be able to track things like that.

Regardless, I don't actually think access to guns is the issue. Everyone in Switzerland owns a gun and they have low gun crime.

It wasn't just the gun issue I was referring too. It was about basic copyright infringement and the ability of anyone with one of these printers to re-create a physical product without the need for any permission/licencing etc

I love the 3D printers that can print themselves out, and all you need is the metal components and you just spend ages putting the pieces together and bam you have another 3D printer.

Own up, who's already tried to print their own penis?
I've tried, but I keep getting massive spooling errors...

Last edited:
Back