• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2023/24 Player of the Season

tommysvr

Simon Davies
I got an email to vote for my One Hotspur Player of the Season so I thought it would be a good discussion.

My pick: Gugliemo Vicario
He had a lot of questions to answer because no one knew who he was and because Raya was probably most people's preferred pick. Struggled a bit on set pieces but I cannot remember one mistake from general play. His shot-stopping and ability to sweep up behind the high line has been crucial. Settled in so well and at 27 years old he has the potential to be the answer for a long time. Fully COYS as well.

---

Other contenders:

Micky van der Ven
Already so crucial to how we play. An incredible athlete and still so young. He too seemingly came in as the backup after missing out on our first choice...hard to imagine that now. Biggest downside is his hamstrings and whether that is an issue going forward. But I genuinely think he can turn into one of the best defenders in the world.

Destiny Udogie
Already one of the best LBs in the league in my opinion. So strong, so composed. Made 2 major errors leading to goals and his red card vs Chelsea was very costly, but an incredible first season playing a very different role to what he's done before. Still so young too.

Pedro Porro
Another with huge question marks coming into the season. Can he really defend? Can he play as an inverted fullback? Answered them so well and the evidence is just how big of a drop-off it is when Royal comes in for him (Royal who I rate as a very solid RB.)

Pape Matar Sarr
Our most consistent midfielder I think. We really notice when his energy isn't there, and I think he's a big reason Porro has done so well.

---

I think it says a lot about how I see things that despite our defence being regularly picked out as the problem, I've got 3 of them and the goalkeeper in my list and no forwards. I don't think any forward has been consistent enough and their inability to punish teams when we're on top is a huge issue.

Up until a few months ago, I'd have said Porro. But his form has really dipped.

Son's numbers are solid too, but his recent performances have been frustrating.

If Richie had've stayed fit, he was going a goal a game there for a while, 10 in 9 or something?

It's symptomatic of our season that I can't really think of anyone who's been consistently good.

So I guess I'd split it between Romero and Vicario.

I think you could add Romero in there which means you have the whole defence and goalkeeper and justifiably so. Yet, we've shipped a lot of goals which means either the rest of the team have been brick defensively or the defenders haven't been properly protected.

It's mind boggling to me that Maddison isn't in the conversation after the way he started. I don't think any of us would dare nominate him for the award but it's a sign of how far his form has fallen since injury.

I got an email to vote for my One Hotspur Player of the Season so I thought it would be a good discussion.

He had a lot of questions to answer because no one knew who he was and because Raya was probably most people's preferred pick. Struggled a bit on set pieces but I cannot remember one mistake from general play. His shot-stopping and ability to sweep up behind the high line has been crucial. Settled in so well and at 27 years old he has the potential to be the answer for a long time. Fully COYS as well.

---

Other contenders:

Micky van der Ven
Already so crucial to how we play. An incredible athlete and still so young. He too seemingly came in as the backup after missing out on our first choice...hard to imagine that now. Biggest downside is his hamstrings and whether that is an issue going forward. But I genuinely think he can turn into one of the best defenders in the world.

Destiny Udogie
Already one of the best LBs in the league in my opinion. So strong, so composed. Made 2 major errors leading to goals and his red card vs Chelsea was very costly, but an incredible first season playing a very different role to what he's done before. Still so young too.

Pedro Porro
Another with huge question marks coming into the season. Can he really defend? Can he play as an inverted fullback? Answered them so well and the evidence is just how big of a drop-off it is when Royal comes in for him (Royal who I rate as a very solid RB.)

Pape Matar Sarr
Our most consistent midfielder I think. We really notice when his energy isn't there, and I think he's a big reason Porro has done so well.

---

I think it says a lot about how I see things that despite our defence being regularly picked out as the problem, I've got 3 of them and the goalkeeper in my list and no forwards. I don't think any forward has been consistent enough and their inability to punish teams when we're on top is a huge issue.
I can quite easily see the five we have in defence being a trophy winning defence.
They're more than good enough.

---

Other contenders:

Micky van der Ven

Destiny Udogie

Pedro Porro

Pape Matar Sarr

---

I can quite easily see the five we have in defence being a trophy winning defence.
They're more than good enough

1) Romero
2) Vicario
3) van de Ven

I thought Udogie, Sarr, Bissouma and Maddison were phenomenal through the autumn, but all have had disruption or tailed off a bit this spring. The 3 above though have been pretty consistent throughout.

Micky or Cuti. They have been the most consistent of the bunch. Venom has regressed somewhat from the start of the season, so I wouldn't really put him in the mix.

Back