• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2015/16 Europa League - Round of 16: Borussia Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recall that being the case - he rested alot of players sure but not to the extent you're implying.

I think i remember Bolton doing it once away to Sporting Lisbon

Maybe you're right but I definitely recollect him taking a team including Kane, Pritchard, Townsend, Falque, Fredericks, Caroll, Parrett and a host of other kids away to play PAOK in 2011; and then going to play Shamrock Rovers with no more than 4 reserves on the bench!

Actually Redknapp did and played the kids, remember? First team did not even travel to EL games and didn't even play in the WHL games...

Not really, he was in charge for 5 games in his first season and the only time he played a weak side was the last one.

Gomes 5, Hudd 5, Bale 4, Dawson 4, Zokora 4, Gunter 4, Campbell 4, Bentley 3, Bent3, Chimbonda 3, O' Hara 3, Woodgate2, Modric 2, Dos Santos 2, Jenas 1, Hutton 1, Lennon 1, Obika 1.

SUBS.

Bostock 3, Lennon 2, Bent1, Campbell 1, Gunter 1, Mason 1, Obika1.

In his second season in the EL, 7 games (2011-12)

Livermore 7,Defoe 5, Bassong 5, Walker 4, Lennon 4, Cudicini 4, Corluka 4, Carroll 4, Rose 4, Pav 4, Gomes 3, Ekotto 3, Townsend 3, Dos santos 3, Dawson 2, Kaboul 2, Nicko 2, Kane 2, Sandro2, Pinnear 2, Modric1,Keane 1, Falque 1, Hudd 1, Gallas 1,VDV 1, Fredricks 1.

SUBS.
Townsend 2, Kaboul 2, Kane 2, Falque 2, Hudd 1, Pav 1, Fredricks 1, Modric 1, Dos Santos1:

I don't recall that being the case - he rested alot of players sure but not to the extent you're implying.

I think i remember Bolton doing it once away to Sporting Lisbon

And when it started to get hairy towards the end he definitely included more first team players. They however weren't able to drag us over the line/out of the group.

England will get 1 of the 3 fair play places in the 2015/16 Europa League. The team finishing highest in the Barclays Premier League Fair Play table, and that hasn't already qualified for European competition, will enter the Europa League at the 1st qualifying round stage. 1st leg matches are scheduled for 2 July. Liverpool currently lead the Fair Play table but, assuming they qualify through their league position, the additional place looks likely to go to West Ham or Everton.

This is the last season that fair play places will be awarded entry to the following season's Europa League.

UEFA statement
Premier League Fair Play table

I read a statistic that said English teams participating the the EL drop 2.3 league places. They didn't give a stat for the CL but that seems a heavy price to pay for wearing an all-white kit at night against mainly brick opposition.

Southampton and Swansea both have to play in-form City I think. All we have to do is relegate Hull.

Why bother? The implication is always that we should try and win it, we aren't capable of winning it. We haven't even got past the qtr finals in nearly 10 years of trying, and we laugh at Arsenal in the Champions League!!

I suppose it's worth being in it purely for the fact that it offers CL football if you win it. But I give us almost zero chance of winning it. I wouldn't wish for us to finish below Soton and Swansea just to avoid being in it, but I won't get excited either if we qualify for the purgatory cup again.

I suppose it's worth being in it purely for the fact that it offers CL football if you win it. But I give us almost zero chance of winning it. I wouldn't wish for us to finish below Soton and Swansea just to avoid being in it, but I won't get excited either if we qualify for the purgatory cup again.
I would be pleased from a selfish 'Saturday football' perspective, but finishing outside of the Europa places in the league would be a rather embarrassing position and a pretty big failure from the manager and I don't want to see another manager fail at Spurs.

Why bother? The implication is always that we should try and win it, we aren't capable of winning it. We haven't even got past the qtr finals in nearly 10 years of trying, and we laugh at Arsenal in the Champions League!!

Better chance then us winning the CL, yet we/some fans think finishing among the runners up ( top four) should be our aim over trying to win anything.

If we manage it correctly there is NO reason we cannot give it a fair crack.

Lets say Lloris,Walker,Verts,Rose,Kane,Eriksen,Mason,Chadli,Bentelab never kick a ball (or travel) in the EL until the knock out phase. And we rely on the rest of 'the squad' to see us through the group stage.

The knock out part of the EL does not start until lateish february (19th this year). By then the league cup will only have the final left, and we'll be at the quarter-final stage of the fa cup. So we could easily be knocked out of either of those cups by then or have very few games left to play in them. Also some of those players could also swerve a few league cup/fa cup games. When the EL knock-out starts just select from the whole squad.....basically thats 3 months of the season left, with nine (main) players with mainly just league miles on the clock.

Vorm,Vlad,Dier,Kaboul,Fazio,Davies,Yedlin,Paulinho,Stambouli,Townsend,Lamela,Dembele,Soldado,Ade,Fredericks,Pritchard,Veljkovic,Capoue,....Carroll,Holtby........this lot should be able to see us through the group stages??

Exactly. And if we were to win it that memory would stay with me longer than the (albeit fantastic) night we came 4t. Man i would LOVE that trophy. Our club was built on European nights

Better chance then us winning the CL, yet we/some fans think finishing among the runners up ( top four) should be our aim over trying to win anything.

The CL brings added riches to it i.e. money and attracts better players. Not many players want to play in the Europa League. Once you're in that top 4 cartel, it's very, very hard for other teams to break in so our aim hast to be to get ourselves in somehow. As well as winning trophies.

If we manage it correctly there is NO reason we cannot give it a fair crack.

Lets say Lloris,Walker,Verts,Rose,Kane,Eriksen,Mason,Chadli,Bentelab never kick a ball (or travel) in the EL until the knock out phase. And we rely on the rest of 'the squad' to see us through the group stage.

The knock out part of the EL does not start until lateish february (19th this year). By then the league cup will only have the final left, and we'll be at the quarter-final stage of the fa cup. So we could easily be knocked out of either of those cups by then or have very few games left to play in them. Also some of those players could also swerve a few league cup/fa cup games. When the EL knock-out starts just select from the whole squad.....basically thats 3 months of the season left, with nine (main) players with mainly just league miles on the clock.

Vorm,Vlad,Dier,Kaboul,Fazio,Davies,Yedlin,Paulinho,Stambouli,Townsend,Lamela,Dembele,Soldado,Ade,Fredericks,Pritchard,Veljkovic,Capoue,....Carroll,Holtby........this lot should be able to see us through the group stages??

But we say the same thing every year at the same point every year.
"Europa's alright play the second string and take it seriously in the knock outs."
But first team players end up playing and travelling all over Europe in the groups every year.
I want either the manager to take it seriously or not at all.

But we say the same thing every year at the same point every year.
"Europa's alright play the second string and take it seriously in the knock outs."
But first team players end up playing and travelling all over Europe in the groups every year.
I want either the manager to take it seriously or not at all.
I want a manager who doesn't take it at all seriously until the knock stages and then at that stage surveys where we are with everything else and makes a decision on whether to change tact and start taking it seriously from there.

The CL brings added riches to it i.e. money and attracts better players. Not many players want to play in the Europa League. Once you're in that top 4 cartel, it's very, very hard for other teams to break in so our aim hast to be to get ourselves in somehow. As well as winning trophies.

I would like us to do both, but winning trophys is what its all about ( the game is about glory) and writing some trophys off is not what I consider to be supporting a team.

until we have a team good enough to qualify for the Champions League i don't see the point in making it so much of a priority that we write off the trophies we can compete for now.

continue buying up players with high potential and a couple of years of developing to do and then maybe we'll soon have a team worthy of being in the competition. until then take the competitions we enter seriously because winning trophies is what football is about afaic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back