• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

10 spurs fans stabbed by masked gang

A hammers fan with a brain

Yeah, and lets not lose sight of the fact that most people are decent, most football fans are alright. It's hard to get a balance between sanctions against a club that really only should affect a minority. It's good to hear that he and his friend stood up to these idiots.

[h=1]Antisemitic chants are sickening – and West Ham fans must show they care[/h] For a West Ham fan, there is nothing bigger than a match against Tottenham. Yet on Sunday, as the Spurs goals flew in, I found myself not caring very much about the outcome

Soccer---Barclays-Premier-008.jpg
To label West Ham a racist or antisemitic club would be wrong yet they might have to accept any punishment that comes their way from the Football Association. Photograph: Rebecca Naden/PA

Eight years ago, I was in my usual seat in the lower tier of the Bobby Moore Stand with a few friends for a nondescript Championship match between West Ham and Plymouth. Indeed the match was thoroughly forgettable, West Ham cruising to a 5-0 win, and yet the events of that day will never leave me. It had nothing to do with the football and everything to do with the vicious anti-semitic abuse and intimidation a friend and I experienced from our fellow supporters.
Midway through the first half the usual anti-Tottenham songs started. They were nothing to get offended about; just typical football songs. West Ham fans tend to sing about Chelsea and Spurs every week. Just banter. Nothing to worry about – until someone tried to get a chant of "Hitler was a ****ney" going. The implications were clear: Hitler supported West Ham because he killed Jews and Jews support Tottenham. The fact that the song came from one person did not make it any less shocking and the fact that there were two Jewish West Ham fans sitting in front of him, not that he was to know, did not bother the perpetrator. Nor did the fact that the Nazis flattened the East End during World War Two. Some ****ney.
It can be preferable to bite your lip – I was only 17 but my friend, who was older, turned around and told the idiot to "fudge off". Unfortunately he deigned not to and the abuse threatened to turn physical from him and his mates as they tried to snatch my friend's season ticket away and told us to "fudge off to Tottenham". Luckily our group was large enough to stop anything truly ugly developing and the stewards also weighed in. The way our friends defended us showed the inherent decentness of West Ham fans, as did a number of people we did not know offering their support at the next home match. Even so, when I arrive at Upton Park on Saturday for the Chelsea game I will probably spot some of the same people from that February afternoon and the memories will come flooding back.
Maybe they were the same people who brought shame to West Ham with the unforgivable antisemitic chants that blighted Sunday's match at White Hart Lane, not to mention the glorifying of attacks on Spurs supporters by Italian supporters in Rome last week which left one supporter fighting for his life in hospital. Nazi salutes, hissing to mimic the gas chambers and chants of "Adolf Hitler, he's coming for you", "You're getting gassed in the morning" and "Viva Lazio". Believe it or not, and it is astounding that this still needs saying, the Holocaust is not funny.
A look at West Ham messageboards on Monday reveals the usual mealy-mouthed apologists spouting stone-age drivel about the sanitisation of football and political correctness gone mad. Yet if we are to accept that it was only a minority who disgraced themselves, it is also true that this minority are the ones who shout loudest – and perhaps punch hardest when challenged.
Antisemitism and racism has existed at West Ham for years. Before a playoff semi-final away to Ipswich in 2004, I heard a chant of "Spurs are on their way to Auschwitz, Hitler's gonna gas them again." No one did anything. There is a chant mocking Spurs fans for having no foreskins that ends with a cry of "fudging Jew".
People call Carlton Cole a black bastard. When Jermain Defoe missed a last-minute chance during a draw with Burnley in 2003, the person in front of me lost the plot, kicking the chair in front of him and screaming racial abuse. During a match against Everton in 2010, Cole missed a late sitter, prompting one fan to bellow that he was a "fudging nigger". He's still there every week.
Football is a working-class sport and its blokiness means that people do not want to be seen as a grass or a snitch. You could tell a steward but chances are people will know and that creates its own problems. Ultimately is it worth the hassle? How do you reason with someone who thinks that the industrialised murder of six million Jews is an acceptable way to score points against Tottenham fans?
Yet it needs people to be brave enough to stand up to this. It is no good doing nothing during the match and then taking to the internet to write it off as a minority action afterwards, because the whole club is tarred by association. It is no good to claim these people are not true West Ham fans, because that is merely a semantic debate which moves the goalposts. They were at the game supporting West Ham. Sounds like a West Ham fan to me. That is not to suggest that the majority are not sickened by what occurred but they must show it and not retreat into the default position all fans assume when their club is in the dock.
Of course, supporters can only do so much and stewards and police actively need to be on the look-out for this sort of behaviour. Those identified should be thrown out and banned for life. To label West Ham a racist or antisemitic club would be wrong yet they might have to accept any punishment that comes their way from the Football Association, even if they cannot truly be held responsible for the actions of macarons who bought a ticket.
The irony is that West Ham is a club with a Jewish heritage, albeit not as pronounced as Tottenham's, whose fans call themselves the Yid Army to counteract the jibes. The co-chairman, David Gold, is Jewish, they have had a Jewish manager, Avram Grant, they have a Jewish player, Yossi Benayoun, and there are many Jewish supporters. Spurs are seen as The Jewish Club, but not every Spurs fan is a Jew and not every Jew is a Spurs fan. Some will say that Spurs fans are asking for it by calling themselves Yids; again this simply feels like a roundabout way to justify the abuse.
For a West Ham fan, there is nothing bigger than a match against Tottenham. Yet on Sunday, as the Spurs goals flew in, I found myself not caring very much about the outcome. It is a crisis of identity; part of the thrill of supporting a side is the sense of belonging, the rush of being part of a crowd, a community, but that does not feel particularly appealing now. What would make me happy – West Ham winning – would also make these people happy and how can that make me happy?

An interesting read but his points really amount to nothing more than common decency. He's disgusted that his fellow Hammers would resort to this abhorrent behaviour but to me he has nothing to apologise for. Just because a few racists use a match situation to show their true colours really is not anything to do with the club they support. They don't condone it I'm sure. These scum are racist first and foremost, and it's only incidental that they are football fans too.

What brain dead fool would spout Hitler chants anyway? He wiped out half of London ffs.

A hammers fan with a brain

No Steinberg is a dingdong. I used to follow him on twitter til the CL final/Championship playoff final day in May. He celebrated West Ham getting promoted and Tottenham missing out on CL by drunkingly posting a load of anti spurs brick to an audience who had no idea of his club loyalties.

Honestly, the way forward would be to take those arrested for anti-semetic remarks and sit them down with some Holocaust survivors and show them some of the footage which exists from back then. I genuinely, genuinely believe these idiots MUST be shown what they're doing. It would give all those who go on about wanting to eradicate anti-semitism a proper platform PR-wise from which to do so. Fining and banning idiots only pushes them further into their ignorant shells.

No Steinberg is a dingdong. I used to follow him on twitter til the CL final/Championship playoff final day in May. He celebrated West Ham getting promoted and Tottenham missing out on CL by drunkingly posting a load of anti spurs brick to an audience who had no idea of his club loyalties.

But that is totally different, reflecting the tribal nature of football. Football fans tend to celebrate the failures of their biggest rivals. We would do the same with Arsenal.

From what I have seen there has been a decent response from West Ham fans, condemning the behaviour of some of their fans. This contrasts with Chelsea fans, from whom I have seen nothing similar. They, of course, have Baddiel as their main apologist.

Honestly, the way forward would be to take those arrested for anti-semetic remarks and sit them down with some Holocaust survivors and show them some of the footage which exists from back then. I genuinely, genuinely believe these idiots MUST be shown what they're doing. It would give all those who go on about wanting to eradicate anti-semitism a proper platform PR-wise from which to do so. Fining and banning idiots only pushes them further into their ignorant shells.

I agree with the sentiment, but haven't Holocaust survivors been through enough.

Think for a second how idiotic it is for any West Ham fans to sing songs about Hitler, he surely would have killed (indirectly maybe) one or more of their family members in WW2 that were English. So having a pop at a club who at most probably has a 10% jewish fan base is worth that? some peoples stupidity knows no bounds

I agree with the sentiment, but haven't Holocaust survivors been through enough.

I think there are always those who have a fierce belief that the chance to remind people of what they suffered, what was real, what happened, is a calling.

Lazio president Claudio Lotito has visited the Tottenham fan who was stabbed on the eve of last week's Europa league match in Rome.

Lotito presented Ashley Mills with a Lazio shirt bearing his name during the visit to San Camillo Hospital.

Mills was hospitalised after an attack reported to have involved more than 40 assailants.

The match, attended by former Lazio and Spurs player Paul Gascoigne, was marred by alleged anti-Semitic chants.

Several other Spurs fans were also injured in the attack, which was initially blamed on Lazio supporters - something Lotito denies.

"Lazio fans are not racist and this incident had nothing to do with football or sport," he said.

Lotito also criticised reported anti-Semitic taunts directed at Tottenham by West Ham supporters during Sunday's Premier League game.

"These people are not fans," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20510292

If you could isolate them in the crowd it would.

The way forward i would take is that every time your crowd is found guilty of racial abuse you have to play your next home game behind closed doors.

That should quickly put an end to it.

If you could isolate them in the crowd it would.

The way forward i would take is that every time your crowd is found guilty of racial abuse you have to play your next home game behind closed doors.

That should quickly put an end to it.

It would, but the worldwide marketable product that is the premier league would take a PR hit worse than if nothing was done. So for that reason I can't seen anything as dramatic as matches behind closed doors.

Lazio president Claudio Lotito has visited the Tottenham fan who was stabbed on the eve of last week's Europa league match in Rome.

Lotito presented Ashley Mills with a Lazio shirt bearing his name during the visit to San Camillo Hospital.

Mills was hospitalised after an attack reported to have involved more than 40 assailants.

The match, attended by former Lazio and Spurs player Paul Gascoigne, was marred by alleged anti-Semitic chants.

Several other Spurs fans were also injured in the attack, which was initially blamed on Lazio supporters - something Lotito denies.

"Lazio fans are not racist and this incident had nothing to do with football or sport," he said.

Lotito also criticised reported anti-Semitic taunts directed at Tottenham by West Ham supporters during Sunday's Premier League game.

"These people are not fans," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20510292
I hope he burned the shirt.

"Lazio fans are not racist" - laughable. What about the Auschwitz banners, Nazi flags, monkey noises etc? fudge Lazio.

Lazio players will wear anti-racism shirts during their game against Udinese tonight, the Rome-based club have announced.

Tottenham fan Ashley Mills was left fighting for his life last week after he was stabbed on the eve of his team's Europa League game against Lazio in the Italian capital.

The 25-year-old was stabbed in the leg and also suffered a serious head injury after being caught up in a vicious attack on an American pub by up to 50 masked thugs.

Lazio insist their fans were not behind the attack and two supporters of the club's rivals Roma have since been charged with attempted murder.

The Biancocelesti tried to distance themselves further from last Thursday's events by today revealing their players will wear shirts with 'NO RACISM' emblazoned across the front in large white letters during tonight's game.

The Italian club posted a link to the picture of the shirt on their Twitter page along with the following message: 'S.S. Lazio against all forms of racism! This is the jersey that the players will wear against Udinese'.

Lazio president Claudio Lotito is reported to have visited Mills in hospital yesterday.

In the wake of the sickening violence before Tottenham's Europa League clash with Lazio, there were also reports on Sunday that sections of the West Ham support were singing songs which celebrated the incident, as well as referring to Adolf Hitler and World War II gas chambers.

West Ham issued a statement saying that they had issued a season ticket holder at Upton Park with a banning order for his alleged involvement in the sickening chants.

article-2239381-163D1CD4000005DC-634_468x420.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2239381/Lazio-wear-anti-racism-shirts-Spurs-chants-fan-attacks.html

Think for a second how idiotic it is for any West Ham fans to sing songs about Hitler, he surely would have killed (indirectly maybe) one or more of their family members in WW2 that were English. So having a pop at a club who at most probably has a 10% jewish fan base is worth that? some peoples stupidity knows no bounds

I am not trying to be controversial but I always thought the east end was the main port of call for people coming into England. The tendency to nationalism is an overcompensation for the shallow roots.

Lazio took to the field wearing a "No racism" logo on their shirts in the aftermath of an attack in Rome on Tottenham Hotspur fans on the eve of last week's Europa League tie and antisemitic chanting during the game against the London team.

However, chants of "Roma, Jewish club" could be heard from the Curva Nord, home to Lazio's hardline ultras, aimed at their bitter local rivals.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/nov/27/lazio-antisemitic-abuse-udinese

I'll do the translation for you.

In Italian it's Noa Racisma.

In Spanish it's No Racismo.

In Japanese it No Lacism.

#-o #-o #-o

I've had a really bad day. I rarely login anymore, let alone post anything but I was compelled to do so to infrom you that that really made me chuckle, and in doing so brightened my day a fraction. Cheers Gordinho.

Back