• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Why are we struggling to score this season?

Spur of the moment

Frederic Kanoute
Before you all scream Harry Kane! - pause a moment. Because maybe it's just a tad more complicated than that?

Watching Barcelona last night it was hard not to be struck by the supreme nonchalance, indeed the outright arrogance with which Messi and Neymar picked their way through the City defence and calmly took their chances.

Of course you can argue that City made it ridiculously easy for them through sloppy defending and that three of the goals came after the Manchester club had gone down to ten. Besides, the Barcelona strikers are among the world's best so what else do you expect? And even we managed two against City only a fortnight ago so what's the big deal?

All of which, granted. But then when you reflect on the way we keep snatching at our chances these days and compare it to the Barcelona approach there is one particular difference that jumps right out at you. No not just ability, not just class, not even time but -

COMPOSURE!

A big part of why the Catalan club score so many is because they KNOW they can. No doubt when Janssen was banging them in for AZ Alkmaar (edit) last season that was a good part of why they were going in for him too. Same for Kane probably.

But this season a collective uncertainty in front of goal seems to have taken hold, a lack of conviction that's leading to us snatching at chances more and more. In our increasing desperation to score we're either hitting the post or the corner flag, smacking it straight at the keeper or way over the stand.

Of course there's a huge difference between the EPL and La Liga. Defences in the Prem are much more organised and generally of a higher standard than in La Liga. And it's much harder to score when four defenders throw themselves at you as though their lives depended on it every time you're about to pull the trigger.

But even allowing for all of that, it does seem we are increasingly snatching at our chances when that extra little bit of composure might make all the difference.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Maturity and confidence are the keys for me, and Harry is the perfect example. The big improvement in his game is knowledge that it doesn't matter if I miss a few, I'll score one. He has the unequivocal backing of the manager and the fans. Compare that to Janssen, Lamela, sissoko or eriksen who seem terrified to miss.
Dele is the same, he's missing a sitter every game, so much so it's become a bit of a laugh, but it's not used to beat him over the head. So he can be relaxed about it and not snatch at the next chance.
Hopefully as the rest of the team mature and learn to handle the expectations better these issues will fade.

1) We've scored 20 in 12, which isn't too shabby

2) I think our card is marked a bit more this season and we get even more bus parking

3) Kane, Alli and Dier are obviously fatigued from the Euros, while Janssen is still settling in

4) Eriksen is supposed to be our main playmaker, and has generally been poor

5) Wanyama in CM (while defensively strong) doesn't transition the ball as well as Dier, so teams are more set by the time we get the ball forward

(1) We've scored 20 in 12, which isn't too shabby

2) I think our card is marked a bit more this season and we get even more bus parking

3) Kane, Alli and Dier are obviously fatigued from the Euros, while Janssen is still settling in

5) Wanyama in CM (while defensively strong) doesn't transition the ball as well as Dier, so teams are more set by the time we get the ball forward
Five of those were against Gillingham! Doubt composure was an issue in that game.

Personally I think we lack the real quality in the positions behind the CF which some other teams in/around the top 4 have. We have a lot of decent options in those position (Eriksen, Lamela, Alli, Son etc) but I don't think we have someone who is really in the class of Ozil, Hazard, de Bruyne, perhaps Silva, Sanchez etc. Those sort of players have a certain x-factor which means that they more regularly produce a defence splitting pass out of nothing.

Problem is at the moment we're priced out from signing those players at their peak so need to develop them. Our options are decent, but to unpick top or stubborn defences more regularly we could do with adding someone with those skills. We though overloaded with players now in those positions: the four above, plus SIssoko, GKN, Edwards, Onomah

For a striker it is all about confidence IMO. Every striker (yes even Soldado) can ping them in in training and when under no pressure. I watched Soldado warm up before some European match (I can't remember which) and for about 10 mins he didn't miss a shot. Then one shanked left, followed by another and they kept going that way. I could almost feel his confidence ebb away before the match even started. Poor bastard.
Match day pressure changes everything but once a few go in, then the pressure is lessened and then more go in. That's why players get scoring streaks. I give you Vardy as an example. He got into a groove last year and everything he hit nearly went in. The odd miss didn't affect him becuase his confidence was at an all time high. As it turns out that form was an outlier for him as this season and previous seasons have shown.
We really need Janssen to knock one in soon for this reason.

Wont put in a table but we have scored ~ 5 less league goals than Liverpool and let in 6 less. (similar stats for most top 6)

I think we are very measured in attack that creates around 3 good chances a game and a hatful of half chances. Liverpool are a little more gungho meaning more clear cut chances (if not more in total). On the flip side it means we are a lot better than others in defense. Last year we were a lot better than most at converting the half chances (largely due to Kane).

We focus on our misses but get a reel of other tams and you will see a lot of similar misses they just make more clear cut chances so will score more. Can our players improve their finishing, yes, Is it only our players guilty of it, in my opinion no.

I have thought this last year as well as this and it is a part of our game, I like the way we play and regardless of if we are playing well or poorly will make 3 clear cut chances a game. If we increase conversion of half chances, and I think we will, the goals will come.

Personally I think we lack the real quality in the positions behind the CF which some other teams in/around the top 4 have. We have a lot of decent options in those position (Eriksen, Lamela, Alli, Son etc) but I don't think we have someone who is really in the class of Ozil, Hazard, de Bruyne, perhaps Silva, Sanchez etc. Those sort of players have a certain x-factor which means that they more regularly produce a defence splitting pass out of nothing.

Problem is at the moment we're priced out from signing those players at their peak so need to develop them. Our options are decent, but to unpick top or stubborn defences more regularly we could do with adding someone with those skills. We though overloaded with players now in those positions: the four above, plus SIssoko, GKN, Edwards, Onomah

You mean were missing those £50m players ... Shocker as that's what those players cost it would cost

We're creating plenty so that isn't the probelm. We're just not putting them away which is a combination of technique, confidence, form and luck.

Last year we had a great shot to goal ratio and it was better the season before I believe. We have our best start in years and it coincides with less goals but a better team result overall. That's all that matters surely??

I think we're seen as one of the best teams in the league and are treated as such by opponents when they setup for games against us - but we don't have the financial clout to buy the top tier attacking players that the likes of United Arsenal Chelsea and City have so find it a little harder to break down stubborn well organised teams.

Liverpool can be offered as an example as a side on a similar level who manage to do it without the stellar name attacking players but as someone else has pointed out they sacrifice defensive solidity to do so - lesser sides like Everton aren't treated the same by opponents so have more space in which to operate

Imo

You mean were missing those £50m players ... Shocker as that's what those players cost it would cost

We're creating plenty so that isn't the probelm. We're just not putting them away which is a combination of technique, confidence, form and luck.

Last year we had a great shot to goal ratio and it was better the season before I believe. We have our best start in years and it coincides with less goals but a better team result overall. That's all that matters surely??

Yes, we're missing those big value players which teams around us can afford. Unfortunately that's where we are at the moment

Personally I think we create lots of half chances, but not many clear-cut chances. I don't have the stats to prove that we're worse in creating clear cut chances than ours peers, and not sure how a stats company would define what a clear-cut chance is, how its my observation from watching us regularly

Yes, we're missing those big value players which teams around us can afford. Unfortunately that's where we are at the moment

Personally I think we create lots of half chances, but not many clear-cut chances. I don't have the stats to prove that we're worse in creating clear cut chances than ours peers, and not sure how a stats company would define what a clear-cut chance is, how its my observation from watching us regularly

It's random IMO how those stats companies do that

I think it's valid that down are half chances but again... What's a half chance even?!?!

our so called creative spark doesnt create (ERIKSEN) and our finishing is terrible. We miss too many chances

I do not think we can deny that we are not clinical enough this season, the number of chances we create we should be scoring more. One of the reasons is that Kane has not been his clinical self and Alli seems to miss as many as he scores, Janssen has not been able to put any away yet but i believe that will change ( you could see the frustration on his face when his header came back of the bar). At the moment he is feeling the pressure ( a young kid, playing in a much harder lge) and the ball is just not falling for him.

We are not putting enough chances in the net.......
But we are creating and our main striker is out injured, I can't see any long term problems with our finishing that a bit of lady luck turning up would not help.

Jannsen was excellent in the first half on Tuesday, it was a much better environment for him.
We need more from Sissoko and Lamela in these lean times in front of goal.

But missing chances is in essence is one the great conundrums of 'football'!

Last edited:
We could do with being a bit more clinical but I don't think it is fair to say that we are struggling to score goals this season.

We have scored in all 8 of our league matches so far. We have scored first in 6 of those 8 games, going on to win 5 and draw 1 of those games. We have conceded the first goal in 2 of the 8 games and came back to get a draw in both.

And Gutterboy - what is this nonsense about Wanyama not transitioning the ball as well as Dier?.... Is this your latest completely invented fact to try to add some justification to your consistently stated opinion that he was a poor player last summer in the build up to us signing him? You know that you would get a lot more respect on here if you just admitted that you got it completely wrong with Wanyama.

1) We've scored 20 in 12, which isn't too shabby

Typical, you could not resist a dig at Wanyama, you are so predictable

We could do with being a bit more clinical but I don't think it is fair to say that we are struggling to score goals this season.

We have scored in all 8 of our league matches so far. We have scored first in 6 of those 8 games, going on to win 5 and draw 1 of those games. We have conceded the first goal in 2 of the 8 games and came back to get a draw in both.

And Gutterboy - what is this nonsense about Wanyama not transitioning the ball as well as Dier?.... Is this your latest completely invented fact to try to add some justification to your consistently stated opinion that he was a poor player last summer in the build up to us signing him? You know that you would get a lot more respect on here if you just admitted that you got it completely wrong with Wanyama.
@Finney Is Back Of the games we have drawn.. We have come from behind in all of them haven't we?

Back