• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who should be captain?

Our previous captain would disagree.. :p

Special circumstances, as he was a living Spurs legend

With a new manager methinks our club and team captain should be one and the same. I rate Dawson as apotential captain, alas when everybody is fit I see a certain French and Belgian starting ahead of him. I also rate Parker as a captain but alas he would not make my starting line up if everybody is fit

Will be strange if Dawson gets it. Can't see him being a sure-fire starter so how he be captain? At least King was the best player.

Same with Parker. With Sandro and Modric/Replacement he will probably get a few games but won't be a sure starter. As for Kaboul - it's a similar type of situation to Dawson. He was great last year and I really like him, but with Caulker and Dawson competing with him for game-time he would probably sit a few games out.

I personally can't see past Bale, but if AVB says he is going to speak to the group about it, will they see Bale as senior enough? I know he said he needed to effectively let the group decide, but will they pick someone that AVB isn't likely to start too often? He needs to have an input as well.

I think maybe his Dawson quotes were showing that he values the influential guys in the squad that have been around a while, so he is getting them onside by giving them consideration and in turn by doing that getting the rest of the squad on-side and showing himself to be a reasonable man.

Bale epitomises Tottenham for me though.

I don't really understand the calls for Kaboul?

VDV would probably be the best call. To be honest though I think we're really gonan miss the leadership we had from Ledley no matter who becomes captain.

I don't really understand the calls for Kaboul?

VDV would probably be the best call. To be honest though I think we're really gonan miss the leadership we had from Ledley no matter who becomes captain.

Me neither. I've said it before on this thread. I can't really see how people can try and suggest a Captain when they don't personally know the players, and therefore have no idea of how influential they are on or off the pitch.

As for Kaboul, the reason I can't see him getting it is because I think he will be one of AVB's earliest casualties. Last year our defence was protected by a brilliant Parker and the fact we played a very patient passing game (even during our awful run we still tended to dominate possession) and therefore the defence was under less pressure, but also due to the patient style of our game even when our attacks broke down we had men behind the ball protecting the back four. This definitely managed to compensate and hide some pretty obvious defensive frailties IMO.

This coming season I can see AVB trying to play a faster more expansive attacking game which will leave gaps behind the midfield and leave us more vunerable to counter attacks. Therefore the defenders need to have excellent concentration, excellent positioning and not be prone to individual gaffs under pressure.

Me neither. I've said it before on this thread. I can't really see how people can try and suggest a Captain when they don't personally know the players, and therefore have no idea of how influential they are on or off the pitch.

As for Kaboul, the reason I can't see him getting it is because I think he will be one of AVB's earliest casualties. Last year our defence was protected by a brilliant Parker and the fact we played a very patient passing game (even during our awful run we still tended to dominate possession) and therefore the defence was under less pressure, but also due to the patient style of our game even when our attacks broke down we had men behind the ball protecting the back four. This definitely managed to compensate and hide some pretty obvious defensive frailties IMO.

This coming season I can see AVB trying to play a faster more expansive attacking game which will leave gaps behind the midfield and leave us more vunerable to counter attacks. Therefore the defenders need to have excellent concentration, excellent positioning and not be prone to individual gaffs under pressure.

agree with nearly all that

good post

Even if that is true, what has that got to do with Kaboul? Whether our defence was well protected or not, when it was called upon Kaboul was our best defender by some distance....

If you have real leaders on the pitch they will lead if they have the armband or not. We've seen this with both Gallas and Parker.

I want to see a captain that starts the vast majority of matches.

Part of giving someone the captaincy in my opinion is that it should help improve that player. The added responsibility might actually help someone take more responsibility in a way. I hope for VdV, he already is very enthusiastic and has real determination about him, I think the armband could help him focus that in a more useful way on the pitch.

ELEVEN CAPTAINS, that's what we need!

the likes of Dawson, Gallas, Parker, VdV will 'captain' those around them, even if they haven't actually got the armband... more of the same.

I'm a big fan of 'Zonal Captains' (if tha doesn't sound too Glenn Hoddle?? GK can look out for himself, and of the 2 CB's in front... one of the CB's takes care of the back four... then CM has one player as designated captain for the midfield, and one of the front two 'takes responsibility' for their part of the pitch.

I realise it could have a bit of 'too many cooks' about it, which is why it's probably never really been used in the game... but in THEORY it could work!

Just wanted to bump this thread.

1. Now that the window is closed will we announce another captain? Or will we keep Daws as our club captain and then just give the armband to someone on match day?

2. While I would still struggle to pick a captain at this point I think we have signed some players that might become leaders on the pitch sooner rather than later.

Vertonghen captained Ajax at a fairly young age.
Lloris is the French captain.
Dempsey seems like a great character that will lead by example.

Dawson club captain.

If he's not playing, the order should be:

Parker > Kaboul > Gallas > Vertonghen

Would much rather have the captain as someone who is going to play regularly.

Unfortunately with Kaboul injured it's difficult to pick someone who is a good fit and has been here a few years..

Back