• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Can't understand why we haven't tied this up yet. Would be our most important signing of the summer ( whatever GB might think!).

Wonder what terms he's after? Could it be his agent is trying to out-Levy Levy?

I doubt that it will be much longer It's clear how much quality and importance he holds for us so, with the contract escalation policy we have, I expect that he will be sorted out in the next few months. Some of it could be about prime PR and press management. That swathe of contract renewals we had a few months back was carefully staged to create a narrative and it gathered a lot of coverage & notice.
Not sure there's all that many to be extended so maybe after the season begins, or around the time of us announcing a new signing Toby's extension would be sorted. We have to wait for the return to the UK for the photo opportunity as well.

Can't understand why we haven't tied this up yet. Would be our most important signing of the summer ( whatever GB might think!).

It's been discussed a while ago in this thread.

It's because his current contract massively favours the club. We'd quite happily let it run its course and still get rewarded at the end.

That doesnt mean we don't value him or don't want to keep him.......it probably means something Toby is asking for is not acceptable considering the strong position the club is in with the current contract (and i don't think it will be the wage level)

It's been discussed a while ago in this thread.

It's because his current contract massively favours the club. We'd quite happily let it run its course and still get rewarded at the end.

That doesnt mean we don't value him or don't want to keep him.......it probably means something Toby is asking for is not acceptable considering the strong position the club is in with the current contract (and i don't think it will be the wage level)

As we have seen before, a club can't really keep hold of a player agitating to leave - no matter what his current contract says. We really can't afford to have an unhappy Toby.

As we have seen before, a club can't really keep hold of a player agitating to leave - no matter what his current contract says. We really can't afford to have an unhappy Toby.
Just like we cant have a player (that all other teams would want) with a release clause, even at a high level, that would cause DL's phone to ring tomorrow morning.

Thecweird thing was when Alderweireld said, I think at the end of season, that we hadn't offered him a new contract. So we are not even trying to get him to sign a new contract

Thecweird thing was when Alderweireld said, I think at the end of season, that we hadn't offered him a new contract. So we are not even trying to get him to sign a new contract
Doubt that not offering him a new contract equates with indifference by the club towards a new one. More likely soundings are ongoing between his agent and the club with maybe both parties playing a game of cat and mouse.

You have to admire how a straightforward answer to a simple question can be turned into a headline that says something totally different.
'Any news on a new contract?'
'No news that I know of so nothing, zero'
Equals :
'Toby Alderweireld confirms there has been 'zero' progress on new Tottenham contract'
Which is not what he said, at all

I read it as either he just doesn't want to comment or, more likely, early stage discussions are still underway between his agency and the club and things are not at a point yet where he is even involved. He probably has little idea yet of what is being discussed.
No story at all.

You have to admire how a straightforward answer to a simple question can be turned into a headline that says something totally different.
Equals :
'Toby Alderweireld confirms there has been 'zero' progress on new Tottenham contract'

I read it as either he just doesn't want to comment or, more likely, early stage discussions are still underway between his agency and the club and things are not at a point yet where he is even involved. He probably has little idea yet of what is being discussed.
No story at all.

And he is gutted that Walker he left which is why he wants to leave now

That's if you believe the daily fail

Equals :

No story at all.

8 July 2015 - joined on a 5 year contract (3yrs to run)

Any improvements/extensions since then ?

Equals :

No story at all.

You do know that there is too much sense in that post. ;)

Back