• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***The official health and fitness thread***

Haven't been to the gym since the thursday before christmas, starting to feel the effects now. Usually I'm there two-three times a week, plus floorball two times with some guys from work. Even though I'm pretty average it's good fun, played in a tournament on saturday and we were annihilated.

So have any of you made any resolutions?

I'm curious about 'trim trails' or 'fitness trails'. I'd like to try one but I'm not sure how to use the stations or the best way to do it.. If you're not sure what I'm on about there's some examples here

I've lost 5kgs since Christmas. Excellent, very cheap diet. All it cost me was a bottle of Pepto Bismol, a few sachets of Dioralyte. I'd fully recommend Gastroenteritis to anyone who would like to lose weight quickly.

I'm using the Runkeeper app. Find it pretty good, giving you speed, distance and time updates during your run.

Just started running and I'm using the same app. It's good for motivation. I've done a short 2,3km route 4 times now. Guess that's about 1,5miles.

Still can't complete the route in one go. After 1km there's a 100ft+ climb or so over the next kilometer and I have to walk a couple of hundred yards to catch my breath again. My average km pace has dropped by a minute since the first run tho'.

It's when you start running you realize how bad your shape is, and mine is terrible. Working in an office and not being active for 7-8 years makes a poor combo.

Just googled 1,5 miles and found this recipe for breaking the 10 minute mark on the distance:

Run 1.5 Miles in 10 Minutes

Breaking the 10-minute mark for a mile and a half isn't just a sign that you can outrun the feds. It's also an indicator of peak aerobic capacity—your body's ability to deliver oxygen to your working muscles. Regular aerobic exercise lowers your cholesterol and helps keep your body fat low—both of which significantly decrease your risk of heart disease.

The Test: Run 1 1/2 miles on a flat path as fast as you can.

The Scorecard:
12 minutes or more: Slow
Between 10 and 12 minutes: Ordinary
10 minutes or less: Endurance excellence

Air Out Your Aerobic Ability: To build aerobic capacity, you need to run far. But you also need to run fast, says Barrie Shepley, C.S.C.S., Canadian Olympic triathlon coach and president of Personal Best Health and Performance. Follow Shepley's plan for 6 to 10 weeks and you'll increase your endurance about 30 percent.

Perform a 40- to 60-minute run on Saturday at a pace just slow enough that you never feel winded. (Walk if you need to.)

On Tuesday, do four to six half-mile intervals at your goal pace for the mile-and-a-half run. (If your goal is 10 minutes, run each interval in 3 minutes, 20 seconds.) Rest for the same amount of time as each interval takes.

On Thursday, perform four to six uphill runs at a moderate pace, with each lasting about 90 seconds, and take about 2 minutes' rest after each interval. After your last interval, jog for 10 to 15 minutes at an easy pace.

Bonus Tip: Train like Roger Bannister. That is, split the distance into four 600-yard intervals and run them at a pace that's about 10 percent faster than your 11/2-mile pace, resting 1 minute after each. Bannister used this method to train for the first sub-4-minute mile.

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/be_fit/Run_1_5_Miles_in_10_Minutes.php#ixzz2ptyVAEvi

Perhaps I should try this recipe rather than just running my route thoughtless?

I have learnt a lot about fitness lately due to my Personal Trainer and due to some research.

I think there is a great deal of emphasis on cardio here, which is a big mistake and its one that I made too. I think weight training and calisthenics are essential and more important than Cardio. Its not necessarily losing weight thats the prime objective, its more to do with changing the composition which im trying to do and is a shift from when I was all about losing weight.

Why dont you guys focus on weight training? Im not saying that cardio is ****e but the emphasis should shift from cardio to more strength training.

Since shifting my focus from cardio to weights, I am not losing as rapidly granted but my composition is changing. Im definitely getting trimmer as clothes are getting looser and definitely becoming more agile and stronger.

howdy fellow yids - previously eternal optimist of max 500posts in a bygone era and incessant lurker of late. hoping to get the fitness back on track after a life feck up of late. quite liking the paleo and poliquin research of late, seems like spit and straw isnt the only way to get strong!

I plan to combine cardio and strength. Weights are my nemesis, can't stand being in a gym, hate reps with a passion. Also, I will never pay a single penny for a work out, I'd rather go outside and chop wood or carry rocks.

Sent from my HTC One using Fapatalk

I have learnt a lot about fitness lately due to my Personal Trainer and due to some research.

I think there is a great deal of emphasis on cardio here, which is a big mistake and its one that I made too. I think weight training and calisthenics are essential and more important than Cardio. Its not necessarily losing weight thats the prime objective, its more to do with changing the composition which im trying to do and is a shift from when I was all about losing weight.

Why dont you guys focus on weight training? Im not saying that cardio is ****e but the emphasis should shift from cardio to more strength training.

Since shifting my focus from cardio to weights, I am not losing as rapidly granted but my composition is changing. Im definitely getting trimmer as clothes are getting looser and definitely becoming more agile and stronger.

Light weights, high-reps…do short, intense cardio to push heart rate up…cut out bad carbs/lower them…it works! As you obviously know given what you've written…yessir...

Light weights, high-reps…do short, intense cardio to push heart rate up…cut out bad carbs/lower them…it works! As you obviously know given what you've written…yessir...

I would do heavy weights not light weights. Ive seen contradictory articles on google and various fitness instructors are of differing opinion, some say light weight high reps and some say the opposite. I do some cardio but I am on the heavy weights - heavy for me that is not necessarily what others would deem as heavy.

Youre definitely correct about the carbs. I love carbs but carbs really are the devil. Definitely not after 3pm except for fruit and vegetables.

If you want size (muscle), higher weight and low reps is optimal.

If you want tone rather than size, more reps on a lower weight.

If you want tone rather than size, more reps on a lower weight.[/QUOTE]

Nonsense (all be-it nonsense that many many people still beleive due to that amount of ****e that is talked about training).

Lifting weights serves only one purpose. That purpose is building muscle. Low rep high weights induces myofibrillar hypertrophy which corrolates closely to strength. High rep 'low weight' training induces sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (pump as body builders tend to describe it). In a novice, doing any kind of weight traning whatsoever will induce an increase in both strength and hypertrophy (hence that term that you hear 'newby gains'). I must also add that 'low weight' is a relative term, doing 300 reps of a 2.5kg bench press will not give you a chest like Arnie.

There are mutiple advantages to a novice training for myofibrillar hypertrophy first (aka pushing up their strength). Whether your goal is to be 'toned' or to be the size of a house low rep, stuff with linear progression (aka increased weight each workout) using the big lifts (squat, deadlift, Bench press and overhead press) is the optimal way to go about things. 'Toning' is just an exercise in losing body fat whilst maintaining strength and size.

I would do heavy weights not light weights. Ive seen contradictory articles on google and various fitness instructors are of differing opinion, some say light weight high reps and some say the opposite. I do some cardio but I am on the heavy weights - heavy for me that is not necessarily what others would deem as heavy.

Youre definitely correct about the carbs. I love carbs but carbs really are the devil. Definitely not after 3pm except for fruit and vegetables.

It does depend on what you're after re: weights. if you want to lose weight/burn/shape up light weight-high reps is the way off the back of a good burst of heart-rate jumping cardio. The other is about bulking.

I curl a max of 25 with each arm, starting at 20 first set, then 22, then 25…when I plateau, I'll move onto another form of the exercise. I adopt that approach with all of them. Of course in my middle age it's as much about health as vanity (thank **** because that baby I've been carrying for 15 years doesn't look like coming out any time soon!!!!!)…

Yeah, carbs are mental…white carbs are ****e, brown are OK but indeed, it's all about keeping a carb count as to what you have per day and not exceeding it…

To be fair mate, any efforts made are going to benefit us, and we really don't notice until we're a bit older and not falling apart/getting sick all the time...

If you want tone rather than size, more reps on a lower weight.[/QUOTE]

Nonsense (all be-it nonsense that many many people still beleive due to that amount of ****e that is talked about training).

Lifting weights serves only one purpose. That purpose is building muscle. Low rep high weights induces myofibrillar hypertrophy which corrolates closely to strength. High rep 'low weight' training induces sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (pump as body builders tend to describe it). In a novice, doing any kind of weight traning whatsoever will induce an increase in both strength and hypertrophy (hence that term that you hear 'newby gains'). I must also add that 'low weight' is a relative term, doing 300 reps of a 2.5kg bench press will not give you a chest like Arnie.

There are mutiple advantages to a novice training for myofibrillar hypertrophy first (aka pushing up their strength). Whether your goal is to be 'toned' or to be the size of a house low rep, stuff with linear progression (aka increased weight each workout) using the big lifts (squat, deadlift, Bench press and overhead press) is the optimal way to go about things. 'Toning' is just an exercise in losing body fat whilst maintaining strength and size.

Right…but if your main intention is to lose weight and shape up, light weight and high reps is the way. Heavy weights absolutely will not help you achieve that goal.

I've done it once before (many years ago, big weight loss…crept back on, and recently, 20lb weight loss in 6 weeks and now losing about 2lbs a week having relaxed my diet a bit in terms of quantity)…

Of course, we might have different definitions. 300 reps? I'm talking more like 3 x 10 or 3 x 15 of your chosen weights/form…and then, when plateau is reached, switching up both order of routines, type of exercise per 'part' and amount of reps….that's what I've always known anyhow…

It does depend on what you're after re: weights. if you want to lose weight/burn/shape up light weight-high reps is the way off the back of a good burst of heart-rate jumping cardio. The other is about bulking.

I curl a max of 25 with each arm, starting at 20 first set, then 22, then 25…when I plateau, I'll move onto another form of the exercise. I adopt that approach with all of them. Of course in my middle age it's as much about health as vanity (thank **** because that baby I've been carrying for 15 years doesn't look like coming out any time soon!!!!!)…

Yeah, carbs are mental…white carbs are ****e, brown are OK but indeed, it's all about keeping a carb count as to what you have per day and not exceeding it…

To be fair mate, any efforts made are going to benefit us, and we really don't notice until we're a bit older and not falling apart/getting sick all the time...

Very true with the last statement, I guess the oer we get the wiser we become about our health and then at that time it is a question of 'what if I did this 15 yrs ago' and 'I wish' haha.

I use calorie counter, logging all my calories, carbs, proteins and fats etc. Carbs stays at a max of 100 and usually made up of fruits and veg. I try not to eat any rice, bread, pasta except for brown and even then I keep it at a bare minimum. I have such poor self control that if I had anything in my flat id eat it all in one go. So I only have enough food for a day or two at a time - that helps.

Very true with the last statement, I guess the oer we get the wiser we become about our health and then at that time it is a question of 'what if I did this 15 yrs ago' and 'I wish' haha.

I use calorie counter, logging all my calories, carbs, proteins and fats etc. Carbs stays at a max of 100 and usually made up of fruits and veg. I try not to eat any rice, bread, pasta except for brown and even then I keep it at a bare minimum. I have such poor self control that if I had anything in my flat id eat it all in one go. So I only have enough food for a day or two at a time - that helps.

Mate…I salute you. That is an outstanding effort!

I am monitoring blood sugar right now (diabetes is in my family and I am pre-diabetic) so very much the same sort of approach. I need to improve my veggie intake…but the last bit of your para is excellent mate, good thinking…

How's the 'no tabs' going?

Again, nice work matey.

p.s. I use the Jawbone UP band…very good…I did not get the bluetooth one as I don't want to be staring at my phone every 5 seconds, so check it twice a day and see what's up…got the runs right now though, bit of a dehli-belly, so it won't see much action today :-(

Right…but if your main intention is to lose weight and shape up, light weight and high reps is the way. Heavy weights absolutely will not help you achieve that goal.

I've done it once before (many years ago, big weight loss…crept back on, and recently, 20lb weight loss in 6 weeks and now losing about 2lbs a week having relaxed my diet a bit in terms of quantity)…

Of course, we might have different definitions. 300 reps? I'm talking more like 3 x 10 or 3 x 15 of your chosen weights/form…and then, when plateau is reached, switching up both order of routines, type of exercise per 'part' and amount of reps….that's what I've always known anyhow…

Explain to me how light weight lots of reps is the way to go and how heavy weight low rep will absolutely not help you to achieve your goal?

I assume when you said losing weight is your goal you meant losing body fat, because losing weight and losing fat are two different things.

Mate…I salute you. That is an outstanding effort!

I am monitoring blood sugar right now (diabetes is in my family and I am pre-diabetic) so very much the same sort of approach. I need to improve my veggie intake…but the last bit of your para is excellent mate, good thinking…

How's the 'no tabs' going?

Again, nice work matey.

p.s. I use the Jawbone UP band…very good…I did not get the bluetooth one as I don't want to be staring at my phone every 5 seconds, so check it twice a day and see what's up…got the runs right now though, bit of a dehli-belly, so it won't see much action today :-(

The no tabs hmmmmmm - ive had a few which has set me back but christmas and new years was tough mate.

It is - some have self control some dont. I dont even have alcohol in the flat - id drink it all. If I had a wife all id do is ****... thats it... its all or nothing with me haha.

You know what is staggering - how much all these carbs add up - fruit and veg have carbs, even the non carb stuff have carbs - EVERYTHING has carbs. You try to stay under 100 but its so tough.

Explain to me how light weight lots of reps is the way to go and how heavy weight low rep will absolutely not help you to achieve your goal?

I assume when you said losing weight is your goal you meant losing body fat, because losing weight and losing fat are two different things.

Yes, I should've been clear that when this is the goal, this is the path, apologies. My main point is that light weight/high-reps in conjunction with a good diet will help tone muscle you have/regenerate it to an extent, as opposed to high weights which will help you 'bulk up' muscle-wise.

And with a cardio-blast upping your burn, light-weights and high reps absolutely help that fat burn/shaping up…and weight loss if you are prone to bunterism (which genetics and the occasional extra burger in my life have left me with!)…thus the combination of a careful way of eating, plenty of water, good cardio, light-weight/high-reps and plenty of walking leaves me achieving said-goal.

I presume what you're talking about is GAINING weight/muscle-weight if you are in need of bulking up, which would require high protein and yes (as you say) heavy lifting.

The no tabs hmmmmmm - ive had a few which has set me back but christmas and new years was tough mate.

It is - some have self control some dont. I dont even have alcohol in the flat - id drink it all. If I had a wife all id do is ****... thats it... its all or nothing with me haha.

You know what is staggering - how much all these carbs add up - fruit and veg have carbs, even the non carb stuff have carbs - EVERYTHING has carbs. You try to stay under 100 but its so tough.

Ah well, you're still well ahead of the game; Rome was not built in a day!
Yeah, I just don't drink hardly ever these days.
As for the carbs, I watch my carbs but focus my major concern on whites/processed/sugar-based carbs. Fruit juice and sweets/cakes = no no/rare rare thing, no white bread or white pasta, occasional white rice but mostly brown, small potatoes if I do and only with a heap of kale and meta/chicken/fish…I think they key is also to keep low the fast-acting carbs.
It's not easy, and also, everyone is different and needs different balances…
Processed sugar and high fructose corn syrup can go and do one though!!!!!!!

Back