• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2016/17 Premier League Thread

That's the problem

The rule is intent not advantage

It need to be advantage only and then you can pull up more like this

Thing to me is, if that had been a defender sliding in with his arm above his head and obstructing a cross it would be given as a penalty as his arm is in 'an unnatural' position. We see it every season.

Also think Sanchez instinctively slightly moves his hand towards the ball as well.

Thing to me is, if that had been a defender sliding in with his arm above his head and obstructing a cross it would be given as a penalty as his arm is in 'an unnatural' position. We see it every season.

Also think Sanchez instinctively slightly moves his hand towards the ball as well.

"Unnatural" doesn't come into the laws though.

In fact, the wording of the law suggests the arm can be anywhere and it NOT necessarily be an infringement:
  • the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
  • the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
  • the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement
(From the FA site.)

I think the "unnatural" thing is a fallacy perpetuated by pundits who don't read the laws.

So Clattenburg apologised to Hull players at start of the second half, saying it was handball but he couldn't be sure at the time.

Back