• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

Just a point... they finished 2nd by default last season.. though i'm sure in years to come the story of last season from their end will be how they did the double over the champions and just missed out on the title. In reality, we deserved to finish above them.

No I get that but in the modern game where you have teams of the Abramovich, Abu Dhabi, US and Chinese money a top 4 finish is remarkable.

I look at football in a more logical way that eejits like that DT, Arsenal like Spurs have been run in such a way that allows the to compete in this new era of the sport and in Arsenals case that was built on the success that Wenger had at the club and Wenger being able to deliver CL football on a relatively lower budge, like Poch is doing now with Spurs. These clowns live in a bubble where they don't see the likes of PSG and Bayern as bigger clubs with superstars back to front, and thats before you start talking about the Reals and Barces of the world. Wengers legacy to some extent is raising the expectation of the club so these fans have something to moan about.

everything is relative, do arsenal have the means of munich and should they expect to be progressing from the tie overall, of course not, but they can certainly afford to put up something of a fight

we've seen many closer matches with a greater resource differential in the CL this season, frustration is understandable

wenger deserves an incredible amount of respect for his achievements but every year the same thing happens with no noticeable change in tactics or attitude

Just a point... they finished 2nd by default last season.. though i'm sure in years to come the story of last season from their end will be how they did the double over the champions and just missed out on the title. In reality, we deserved to finish above them.
And done with a £220m a season wage bill, it's not impressive for me by them

Bob Wilson was on SSN he totally respects Wenger and what he has done for Arsenal but he can't understand him not playing his best team all the time, it puzzles him

wenger deserves an incredible amount of respect for his achievements but every year the same thing happens with no noticeable change in tactics or attitude

Of course but I would say most of the clubs in the same level as Arsenal historically have declined more than improved with time, where as Wenger has maintained a level with Arsenal that in some respects is unrivaled in European football, apart from a monopoly club like Bayern, Juve etc. Footballs all an illusion anyway, replace Wenger for the same total sum in my opinion, maybe a few more peak seasons with a few worst, but the grand total will remain the same, especially in modern football. Yet if Simeone was in at Arsenal last night after his first season the same fans calling from Wengers head would be making excuses for him.

true

but he's doing no better in europe now than 10 years ago despite having greater resources

it's important to finish top 4 every year, but that's a platform to build on and it's easy to make an argument that he has neglected defensive positions whilst team building

true
but he's doing no better in europe now than 10 years ago despite having greater resources

10 years ago PSG was not owned by Qatar, Emirates Marketing Project not by Abu Dhabi and so on.

Everyone's resources have improved and mostly beyond that of Arsenal and if you look at the Premier League his track record is more impressive due to the emergence of other teams like Us and Everton etc.....

The modern game where people worship these guys rather than people that have achieved in the game? This guy has a nerve to name himself Arsenal TV and pay 4 fans to rant against a club legend, my word.

I have to say, I am no Arsenal fans but being on the back end of some of Arsenals best season I respect Wenger find how they speak about him so offensive its untrue. We are told as Spurs fans we must hate our rivals and I do, I dislike them with a passion but I have a HUGE respect for what Wenger achieved and still continues to achieve. When you look at last night you see a club that finished 2nd in the Premier League last season and has made the last 16 of a competition where they have come up against a team in Bayern that is in European terms is streets ahead of even Emirates Marketing Project and their HUGE investments, when you look back to front as a team. And this upstart goes on and calls Wenger all the names under the sun after all he has achieved in the game and for his club, it makes you sick about the sport and the way its gone. And not only that, the MEDIA supports it, Neville comments on how these guys are idiots and he is hounded by the media and has to apologise. Wenger deserves alot from Arsenal and its supporters, they forget where they sit now and what they have in success and stadium is down to him, he made the platform for idiots like this have a voice, they are comparing success to what WENGER achieved before, thats the irony to it all and its lost on these pricks. I know its all fun to see this as its Arsenal but as a lover of the sport, its another chunk of the soul lost of the game.

Wenger is holding them back at this stage and the fans are right to think he should go/want him to go - however he deserves better treatment than what he is getting, truly shameful some of the stuff you see directed at him when he oversaw their best ever period and made them the size that they are today.

He should be allowed to step down when he sees fit - not to be hounded out like it looks like he will end up being

10 years ago PSG was not owned by Qatar, Emirates Marketing Project not by Abu Dhabi and so on.

Everyone's resources have improved and mostly beyond that of Arsenal and if you look at the Premier League his track record is more impressive due to the emergence of other teams like Us and Everton etc.....

I meant relative to prior versions of themselves

they will pay big fees and big wages on delicate little creatives, why not go out and buy a shutdown centre back or for once in his two decade spell actually sign a good keeper?

tactically he could show a little pragmatism too

my point is simply that their approach never changes, and I can see the frustration in that

Wenger is holding them back at this stage and the fans are right to think he should go/want him to go - however he deserves better treatment than what he is getting, truly shameful some of the stuff you see directed at him when he oversaw their best ever period and made them the size that they are today.

He should be allowed to step down when he sees fit - not to be hounded out like it looks like he will end up being

Whoops; i liked your post for the first sentence. Tbf to Gooners they are reacting exactly as we would if we had a manager that seems to have COMPLETE control of the way the club is run - perhaps even beyond what should be his remit as a football manager/coach.
It's not nice to watch (ok i lie it IS, seeing as how smug the fans AND Wenger himself has often been over the years) but he has had this coming to him. He is as responsible as the Arsenal board for the fact they have become a PURELY business enterprise instead of becoming a TRUELY competitive football giant which would have become a great business enterprise by default.

They as a club are cowards and Wenger is a big a coward as the board he shares the big profits with.

Long may he reign!

Whoops; i liked your post for the first sentence. Tbf to Gooners they are reacting exactly as we would if we had a manager that seems to have COMPLETE control of the way the club is run

I don't know, Fergi ran Man United like this and they were better for it, its old school maybe but football clubs are better for it if the man who has the control is right, Wenger has been right as he shared the boards philosophy and delivered on it, as Fergi did, Fergis goals were larger because Man United are arguably the largest club in the world. In the Mourinho sense at Chelsea it was not the right way as he can not be trusted with a club in the same way.

If we had a manager like that I doubt we would be shouting and calling the guy a Pr1ck, did we do that to Bill Nic? I am too young to know, but thats a serious question?

I don't know, Fergi ran Man United like this and they were better for it, its old school maybe but football clubs are better for it if the man who has the control is right, Wenger has been right as he shared the boards philosophy and delivered on it, as Fergi did, Fergis goals were larger because Man United are arguably the largest club in the world. In the Mourinho sense at Chelsea it was not the right way as he can not be trusted with a club in the same way.

If we had a manager like that I doubt we would be shouting and calling the guy a Pr1ck, did we do that to Bill Nic? I am too young to know, but thats a serious question?

i'm too young for that too

but I do remember when the Cowboys fired Tom Landry (a reasonable parallel with Wenger when you consider their single mindedness) and despite his legacy it was exactly the right thing

Whether it's right or wrong for the fans to want him to go, are they ready for the almost inescapable reality of a couple of years of the new manager getting to grips with the team. I'd be surprised if the new manager hit the ground running.

Whether it's right or wrong for the fans to want him to go, are they ready for the almost inescapable reality of a couple of years of the new manager getting to grips with the team. I'd be surprised if the new manager hit the ground running.

He should go, 100% time for him to go, the way and the fans reaction on how defines a club for me as your heritage is everything and when the nuts and bolts are gone its all you have to reflect on, that my opinion anyway.

They might have to go back to go forward which is harder in modern football. I suppose the trick is regardless of the size of club you run the team like a small knit unit, drown out the noise and keep things organised, like what Conte has managed, what Poch does well too and Mourinho despite his faults does, never wants a huge squad or too many Egos...

I think they will decline once Wenger goes. I believe he will at the end of the season. They might see an upturn in the short term but long term they wont be as consistent as they are now. I just hope Sanchez does go, he is about 80% of their team.

The Sanchez contract delay sums up why they won't win the title till they change, he is the only match winner they have and they should pay him what he wants.

They won't even get good money for him

I think they will decline once Wenger goes. I believe he will at the end of the season. They might see an upturn in the short term but long term they wont be as consistent as they are now. I just hope Sanchez does go, he is about 80% of their team.

Short term decline long/medium term improvement is what id imagine will happen - although they have been stagnant for so long a change in manager may be enough to inject some life in to them straight away. They haven't done anything more than their minimum target since they last won the league, it'd be like us just finishing 5th/6th for ten years solid under the same manager and never threatening to improve or look like breaking the tier above and if that were the situation i wouldn't say we were doing a good job

spot on. wenger came and made arsenal the 2nd biggest team in england (after utd). people talk about everyone supposedly having surpassed arsenal (and even him). but in reality the only bigger teams other than utd are chelsea and city.

arsenal (and football )fans who think arsenal should change manager funadamentally dont understand the game imo

Back