• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Looks like some people prefer trolling their own fans (i.e us)
Tottenham
Forever in Arsenal's shadow?
Sam Miller:
It might be more exciting to support Spurs at the moment - Mauricio Pochettino, Harry Kane, Dele Alli and the new stadium should make for a bright future - but there is an overriding and unshakeable pessimism across north London.
Tottenham are enjoying another incredible season, but we know it will all go wrong at some point. We won't catch Chelsea, Arsenal will overtake us on the last day of the season, all our best players will eventually leave (those contracts means nothing), and Pochettino will one day be poached by one of the bigger boys.
Missing out on winning the title was gutting, but the embarrassment of throwing away second place to Arsenal was worse for many of the fans. St Totteringham's Day, Lasagnegate, Michael Dawson celebrating a Saudi Sportswashing Machine goal against Arsenal that didn't exist. It's all just a bit much.

Would you trade places with Arsenal?
In a heartbeat. And any Spurs fan that says otherwise is lying.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ing-dont-know-good-got/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

What a load of absolute rubbish.
I can't remember a more optimistic time in the last 25+ years.
As for the last line. Not worthy of comment.
(And who is Sam Miller anyway?)

Probably one of those who are forever using that idiotic saying " sexy" stupid filter S P U R S Y

Probably one of those who are forever using that idiotic saying " sexy" stupid filter S P U R S Y

Hey, I use that phrase an awful lot - and I assuredly never felt I'd better off in Woolwich Red. ;) Maybe when I was young and they were winning things and going unbeaten while we puttered about in the bottom half, I might have wished for an alternate universe where circumstances directed my eager eyes across the way to their gaff instead. But I guess one of the life lessons of those times was that you were forced to appreciate the small victories and nuances of supporting Spurs in those dark times - the things that set you apart from the bunch of unendurable plastic tossers that grew too fat and greedily demanding off of their success while we floundered. And that's an attitude that sticks with you later on, as it did when (to my shock) we actually started getting good and the WHL roar started echoing out of my TV set again come matchday.

The thing about being 'S P U R S Y' is that it's one of those nuances of supporting Spurs, in my eyes. I don't think we can ever truly escape it, because it's defined us for so long that any slip from a position of superiority or expectancy of success brings with it the whispers and insinuations that then snowball into it all going 'S P U R S Y' again at the end. At this point, it's as much a part of our identity as the unchallengeable fact that we were innovators, dreamers, purists and pioneers - the side that brought push-and-run to the staid English game, the club that did the first double of the twentieth century, the club that first brought a European trophy back to British shores..the club that, for so long, was defined by a pursuit of pefection, the ultimate glory that remained *just* out of reach.

We are that side - and we are also the side that has only won two league titles in 135-odd years of existence, is renowned as a cup side given the sheer inconsistency of our league runs and was long considered the footballing epitome of 'southern softies', all pretty passing and no bite. We're the club that has ballsed up finishing above Arsenal from a (seemingly) superior position thrice in recent memory, and the only English club that was ever denied a place in the CL because of a team lower than us winning the competition (and we will always be that club, given that UEFA changed the rules afterward). And that isn't even a full accounting of recent disasters.

In short, we're a pretty flaky side too. To me, that essential split nature of Tottenham Hotspur is a simple fact - we are equal parts impossible dreamers, immeasurably brave pioneers and flaky bottlers.

And I love that, in a weird way. Don't get me wrong, I would love to win 20 titles and 10 CLs in a row and banish it forever under some Sir Alex-esque legendary footballing genius, and I bloody *hate* it when we bottle it or throw it away, like we all do. But...I think that's something beautiful about us too, something that stuck with me during those formative years when Arsenal fans were transitioning from success to success and growing ever fatter and more demanding off the back of it. We're equal parts dreamers, achievers and bottlers. We can win cups, and we've established a reputation as a formidable cup side, turning it on in bursts to walk away with silverware - but when it comes to league titles, we only ever seem to get up for it when we're truly inspired or innovative, setting records and indelibly impacting the English game along the way. And, in between those two extremes, we can bottle it in every way possible, and quite a few that frankly appear *impossible* before they end up happening.

We're human. We're capable of greatness, and capable of falling from the heights. We can do great things, we can muck things up in horrific fashions, and we can plod along in mediocrity along the way. We're vulnerable in the most human of ways - in a way that a superclub like Bayern, Barca or Madrid could never, *ever* be - and in a way that fans of those clubs probably couldn't understand, even though they share many of the same neuroses and passions about football that we do.

There's a summation of the entirety of the spectrum of human experiences embodied in what Tottenham Hotspur is. And to me, that's something to be acknowledged at least, if not appreciated as a unique component of what we are.

We are S P U R S Y . We can deny it, but I suspect it'll always be there. But that's not a uniformly negative thing at all, because it implies something very different to me than just bottling it all the time. So why not look at what that makes us, rather than what it takes away from us?

Hey, I use that phrase an awful lot - and I assuredly never felt I'd better off in Woolwich Red. ;) Maybe when I was young and they were winning things and going unbeaten while we puttered about in the bottom half, I might have wished for an alternate universe where circumstances directed my eager eyes across the way to their gaff instead. But I guess one of the life lessons of those times was that you were forced to appreciate the small victories and nuances of supporting Spurs in those dark times - the things that set you apart from the bunch of unendurable plastic tossers that grew too fat and greedily demanding off of their success while we floundered. And that's an attitude that sticks with you later on, as it did when (to my shock) we actually started getting good and the WHL roar started echoing out of my TV set again come matchday.

The thing about being 'S P U R S Y' is that it's one of those nuances of supporting Spurs, in my eyes. I don't think we can ever truly escape it, because it's defined us for so long that any slip from a position of superiority or expectancy of success brings with it the whispers and insinuations that then snowball into it all going 'S P U R S Y' again at the end. At this point, it's as much a part of our identity as the unchallengeable fact that we were innovators, dreamers, purists and pioneers - the side that brought push-and-run to the staid English game, the club that did the first double of the twentieth century, the club that first brought a European trophy back to British shores..the club that, for so long, was defined by a pursuit of pefection, the ultimate glory that remained *just* out of reach.

We are that side - and we are also the side that has only won two league titles in 135-odd years of existence, is renowned as a cup side given the sheer inconsistency of our league runs and was long considered the footballing epitome of 'southern softies', all pretty passing and no bite. We're the club that has ballsed up finishing above Arsenal from a (seemingly) superior position thrice in recent memory, and the only English club that was ever denied a place in the CL because of a team lower than us winning the competition (and we will always be that club, given that UEFA changed the rules afterward). And that isn't even a full accounting of recent disasters.

In short, we're a pretty flaky side too. To me, that essential split nature of Tottenham Hotspur is a simple fact - we are equal parts impossible dreamers, immeasurably brave pioneers and flaky bottlers.

And I love that, in a weird way. Don't get me wrong, I would love to win 20 titles and 10 CLs in a row and banish it forever under some Sir Alex-esque legendary footballing genius, and I bloody *hate* it when we bottle it or throw it away, like we all do. But...I think that's something beautiful about us too, something that stuck with me during those formative years when Arsenal fans were transitioning from success to success and growing ever fatter and more demanding off the back of it. We're equal parts dreamers, achievers and bottlers. We can win cups, and we've established a reputation as a formidable cup side, turning it on in bursts to walk away with silverware - but when it comes to league titles, we only ever seem to get up for it when we're truly inspired or innovative, setting records and indelibly impacting the English game along the way. And, in between those two extremes, we can bottle it in every way possible, and quite a few that frankly appear *impossible* before they end up happening.

We're human. We're capable of greatness, and capable of falling from the heights. We can do great things, we can muck things up in horrific fashions, and we can plod along in mediocrity along the way. We're vulnerable in the most human of ways - in a way that a superclub like Bayern, Barca or Madrid could never, *ever* be - and in a way that fans of those clubs probably couldn't understand, even though they share many of the same neuroses and passions about football that we do.

There's a summation of the entirety of the spectrum of human experiences embodied in what Tottenham Hotspur is. And to me, that's something to be acknowledged at least, if not appreciated as a unique component of what we are.

We are S P U R S Y . We can deny it, but I suspect it'll always be there. But that's not a uniformly negative thing at all, because it implies something very different to me than just bottling it all the time. So why not look at what that makes us, rather than what it takes away from us?

You are at war and peace again mate ;), needless to say you made some good points but as for S P U R S Y its gonad*s. One question i would ask how the hell can we expect anyone else ( pundits, commenters, other fans, media) to take us seriously when there are a small minority of our supporters who every time we have a poor/bad result they start with the S P U R S Y gonad*s. Its nothing more then whining and its no wonder the rest of the football world laugh.

You are at war and peace again mate ;), needless to say you made some good points but as for S P U R S Y its cobblers. One question i would ask how the hell can we expect anyone else ( pundits, commenters, other fans, media) to take us seriously when there are a small minority of our supporters who every time we have a poor/bad result they start with the S P U R S Y cobblers. Its nothing more then whining and its no wonder the rest of the football world laugh.

Look at it this way - you can ignore it as hard as you can, but it won't go away. Like it or not, whenever we drop points or stumble horribly, the thought will arise in the back of people's minds. You can't undo the realities of 135 years of history, however much you try - and one of those realities is that we've won fewer league titles than not just Everton, Villa and even Sunderland (all currently PL sides), but also Wolves, Huddersfield, Blackburn and Wednesday. We're on the same number of titles as Burnley, Derby and Portsmouth - newly promoted, Championship and League Two sides, respectively.

Such a record definitely poses some questions that bring up the outline of 'S P U R S Y' in the back of people's minds. We're a club based in the capital, we've had great players and great teams, we can turn it on in the cups, but we almost always fail to grind out the league titles that teams around us manage to secure with relative ease (compared to us, anyway). Why is that? Ask yourself the question, and see if 'S P U R S Y' doesn't at least enter the back of your mind as a background thought. When added to the fact that we've generally preferred style over functionality, and our recent history of ballsing up things from dominant positions, I'd challenge you to find anyone who doesn't suspect the curse of 'S P U R S I N E S S' lingering somewhere.

So, given that people suspect it of us anyway, why not look at what being S P U R S Y implies, as opposed to trying to suppress the term entirely in (what I consider to be) a relatively fruitless attempt to prevent people thinking about it? We're S P U R S Y, but that's better than being just another run-of-the-mill utter nobody like West Ham or Chelsea (pre-Abramovich) - it also makes the league titles more sweet when they come, because they generally only arrive at the climax of stupendous efforts or tactical revolutions engineered by us (as '61 and '51 demonstrated). We balls it up a lot, but we get into the positions where ballsing it up becomes possible - we don't settle for hovering around lower mid-table signing Jose Fonte and Robert Snodgrass in place of genuine stars and then laugh at someone trying something more ambitious. We try, we fail, we stumble, we fall, we rise - we make attempts to surmount our nature, and that's to be admired, not ashamed of (when S P U R S Y comes back to haunt us, as it usually does).

And, while we strive to win the league in exceptional ways, we win a lot of cups to keep ourselves positioned as a formidable, trophy-laden side alongside the rest of them. Or at least, we *did*, before people started preferring an eternity of upper mid-table/top four finishes over winning things and we lost that reputation as a cup side, so now we're not known for winning anything - just Spursing it up in the league while remaining barren and trophyless in other competitions. Back when that Liverpool squad did that atrocious 'Anfield Rap' in the 80's, their opening line was a shout out to the teams they considered to be Liverpool's rivals in terms of trophies - United, Arsenal and us. We didn't get that reputation by being consistent in the league -we got it by winning tons of trophies outside of it. And that's something that we've thrown away.

Anyway, to sum up, it'll always be there, I think. Until we get a Ferguson who wins 20 titles in a row, we'll always have that question mark hanging over us - and getting a 'Ferguson' is a one in a million chance. So why not recognize the duality of that term, instead of only its negativity?

Personally, if we won lots of cups while waiting for that elusive league title, I'd be a happy man, wherever we finish and however we balls it up - because I recognize that, per the historical record, we don't win that many league titles, but we win a lot of cups to make up for it and continue to be regarded as a top side while waiting for that next league. That's better than 95% of teams in England can aspire to. Until we get a Ferguson, that's good enough for me.

However, finishing 4th eternally *isn't*, for the reasons I've outlined above. ;)

Look at it this way - you can ignore it as hard as you can, but it won't go away. Like it or not, whenever we drop points or stumble horribly, the thought will arise in the back of people's minds. You can't undo the realities of 135 years of history, however much you try - and one of those realities is that we've won fewer league titles than not just Everton, Villa and even Sunderland (all currently PL sides), but also Wolves, Huddersfield, Blackburn and Wednesday. We're on the same number of titles as Burnley, Derby and Portsmouth - newly promoted, Championship and League Two sides, respectively.

Such a record definitely poses some questions that bring up the outline of 'S P U R S Y' in the back of people's minds. We're a club based in the capital, we've had great players and great teams, we can turn it on in the cups, but we almost always fail to grind out the league titles that teams around us manage to secure with relative ease (compared to us, anyway). Why is that? Ask yourself the question, and see if 'S P U R S Y' doesn't at least enter the back of your mind as a background thought. When added to the fact that we've generally preferred style over functionality, and our recent history of ballsing up things from dominant positions, I'd challenge you to find anyone who doesn't suspect the curse of 'S P U R S I N E S S' lingering somewhere.

So, given that people suspect it of us anyway, why not look at what being S P U R S Y implies, as opposed to trying to suppress the term entirely in (what I consider to be) a relatively fruitless attempt to prevent people thinking about it? We're S P U R S Y, but that's better than being just another run-of-the-mill utter nobody like West Ham or Chelsea (pre-Abramovich) - it also makes the league titles more sweet when they come, because they generally only arrive at the climax of stupendous efforts or tactical revolutions engineered by us (as '61 and '51 demonstrated). We balls it up a lot, but we get into the positions where ballsing it up becomes possible - we don't settle for hovering around lower mid-table signing Jose Fonte and Robert Snodgrass in place of genuine stars and then laugh at someone trying something more ambitious. We try, we fail, we stumble, we fall, we rise - we make attempts to surmount our nature, and that's to be admired, not ashamed of (when S P U R S Y comes back to haunt us, as it usually does).

And, while we strive to win the league in exceptional ways, we win a lot of cups to keep ourselves positioned as a formidable, trophy-laden side alongside the rest of them. Or at least, we *did*, before people started preferring an eternity of upper mid-table/top four finishes over winning things and we lost that reputation as a cup side, so now we're not known for winning anything - just Spursing it up in the league while remaining barren and trophyless in other competitions. Back when that Liverpool squad did that atrocious 'Anfield Rap' in the 80's, their opening line was a shout out to the teams they considered to be Liverpool's rivals in terms of trophies - United, Arsenal and us. We didn't get that reputation by being consistent in the league -we got it by winning tons of trophies outside of it. And that's something that we've thrown away.

Anyway, to sum up, it'll always be there, I think. Until we get a Ferguson who wins 20 titles in a row, we'll always have that question mark hanging over us - and getting a 'Ferguson' is a one in a million chance. So why not recognize the duality of that term, instead of only its negativity?

Personally, if we won lots of cups while waiting for that elusive league title, I'd be a happy man, wherever we finish and however we balls it up - because I recognize that, per the historical record, we don't win that many league titles, but we win a lot of cups to make up for it and continue to be regarded as a top side while waiting for that next league. That's better than 95% of teams in England can aspire to. Until we get a Ferguson, that's good enough for me.

However, finishing 4th eternally *isn't*, for the reasons I've outlined above. ;)

There is nothing in your post ( and i have read all of ito_O) that makes me feel that there is any good reason for those who need use the word every time we get a bad result, by the looks of it after reading your post you must have copyright on the word S P U R S Y and enjoy it. :p

There is nothing in your post ( and i have read all of ito_O) that makes me feel that there is any good reason for those who need use the word every time we get a bad result, by the looks of it after reading your post you must have copyright on the word S P U R S Y and enjoy it. :p

Oh no, I'm not saying it's intrinsically a good thing that people keep attributing *everything* bad to S P U R S I N E S S - just that staging some sort of omerta where the first rule of supporting Tottenham Hotspur is that 'you're not allowed to talk about S P U R S Y' won't help much, is all. We are what we are. And, even with S P U R S I N E S S, what we are is something 95% of sides in England would kill to be, so it's not all bad.

On a *totally* unrelated note, buy my shirt! Ships in 3-7 days, satisfaction guaranteed! no refunds

sexy.png

:p

Oh no, I'm not saying it's intrinsically a good thing that people keep attributing *everything* bad to S P U R S I N E S S - just that staging some sort of omerta where the first rule of supporting Tottenham Hotspur is that 'you're not allowed to talk about S P U R S Y' won't help much, is all. We are what we are. And, even with S P U R S I N E S S, what we are is something 95% of sides in England would kill to be, so it's not all bad.

On a *totally* unrelated note, buy my shirt! Ships in 3-7 days, satisfaction guaranteed! no refunds

View attachment 3114

:p

Love the tee-shirt now i know you have copyright on the word.:) My thoughts have nothing to do with omerta at all, as i said in my first post its idiotic (imo) so what does that make those who use it all the time ( does the cap fit?) ;)

Love the tee-shirt now i know you have copyright on the word.:) My thoughts have nothing to do with omerta at all, as i said in my first post its idiotic (imo) so what does that make those who use it all the time ( does the cap fit?) ;)

And I disagree - it isn't idiotic to ackowledge what we are, and the remote likelihood of that changing in either of our lifetimes. Frees up more time and energy towards advocating for whatever victories are possible within the constraints of that reality - and there is a *lot* possible. Why can't we win the CL? No reason - we were good with cups once, and the CL is just the biggest of available trophies. Why can't we win, say, ten trophies in the next decade? Also possible, and desirable. There's a lot that can be done while waiting for someone to come along and rid us of the duality of our nature once and for all.

And I disagree - it isn't idiotic to ackowledge what we are, and the remote likelihood of that changing in either of our lifetimes. Frees up more time and energy towards advocating for whatever victories are possible within the constraints of that reality - and there is a *lot* possible. Why can't we win the CL? No reason - we were good with cups once, and the CL is just the biggest of available trophies. Why can't we win, say, ten trophies in the next decade? Also possible, and desirable. There's a lot that can be done while waiting for someone to come along and rid us of the duality of our nature once and for all.

Well we will have to agree to disagree about what we are and as i say its only a small section of fans who use the word.

As for the rest of your post i agree we can win trophys but we have to change our focus a little to do so.

Well we will have to agree to disagree about what we are and as i say its only a small section of fans who use the word.

Fair enough, although I still think you're being far too pejorative about a term that I think most of us have at the back of our minds whenever we f*ck up.

As for the rest of your post i agree we can win trophys but we have to change our focus a little to do so.

Entirely agreed.

Back