• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The glorious march to CL qualification

Annoyingly we shouldnt be talking ifs and buts tonight. Yesterday still hurts, we should be sat here now on 73pts CL spot secured. That penalty gets awarded at Anfield, I still cant believe it wasnt given. Game changer

If we'd kicked off last, Poch could have rotated the side, with no worse outcome. V lucky that results have gone for us so spectacularly. That's mainly as it will give us a real lift, so we can enter the Ajax game with confidence.

How Poch injucts energy into a clearly tired squad is the question. Could Kane make the bench? Could be massive having him play half an hour when Son inevitably tires. Get Eriksen, Son, Moura,Toby etc to the health spa area of the Lodge for massages and full on recuperation. A massive game and we have to be fully fit and focused...for 3 games....and then a 4th.

If we'd kicked off last, Poch could have rotated the side, with no worse outcome. V lucky that results have gone for us so spectacularly. That's mainly as it will give us a real lift, so we can enter the Ajax game with confidence.

How Poch injucts energy into a clearly tired squad is the question. Could Kane make the bench? Could be massive having him play half an hour when Son inevitably tires. Get Eriksen, Son, Moura,Toby etc to the health spa area of the Lodge for massages and full on recuperation. A massive game and we have to be fully fit and focused...for 3 games....and then a 4th.

Sounds like a good happy ending

We're up first next weekend as well, so no luxury of one of the others already effing up.

Kanes not back until the CL final. ...if we get there.

Funny how we have a bundle of games but would then have 20 days between Everton and a possible CL final.....far too long, too much thinking time.

Kanes not back until the CL final. ...if we get there.

Funny how we have a bundle of games but would then have 20 days between Everton and a possible CL final.....far too long, too much thinking time.

Oh for 20 days to refresh. Exactly what we need. Poch can decontruct the oponent, fly to Baracelona to Poch's favorite training camp, spend another week training at the lodge fully focused. All about this first leg now, if we can get a lead and ideally another clean sheet....

I notice no one wants top for in Spain either, Getafe, Seville & Valencia all losing today. It’s not just the premier league then!

I'd rather play first then have to wait till Sunday/Monday as we had to the Leicester season. If we fail to capitalise on the advantage of playing early and putting the pressure on the others then it's on us.
So you'd rather 100% have to take the game seriously, which we would (will) have to if playing first, rather than play after when we might have the luxury of not having to take it seriously...righty oh.

Also with the added bonus of the freedom to select who we wanted with the 2nd leg in mind.

And I thought logical thinking was dead:rolleyes:

Two games left - we just need to win 1 of them

And if we draw the first one, then we'll only need a draw in our final game.

And even if we only get 1 point from our final 2 games, I'd say its 50/50 that we get top 4 as I'm not sure I see Arsenal will win their last two.

If Sissoko can play in both, we're in a very good position.

So you'd rather 400% have to take the game seriously, which we would (will) have to if playing first, rather than play after when we might have the luxury of not having to take it seriously...righty oh.

Also with the added bonus of the freedom to select who we wanted with the 2nd leg in mind.

And I thought logical thinking was dead:rolleyes:

I would always rather play first and let the other teams worry about what they have to do. Let's say we played on Sunday and our rivals won on Saturday, then we would be under pressure to win. The top 4 teams tend to win at least 55% of their games which means more often than not if you play on Sunday/Monday then your rivals have already won after playing Saturday. I think we saw how we were at a disadvantage when Leicester won the league as we always had to play on Sunday afternoon or Monday night and we had to win just to keep within 6/7 points of them.

I don't agree with the logic of resting players (people argued we should have rested players yesterday which I disagreed with), there's only 5 games left at most. Let's just get the job done at Bournemouth and then we have the luxury of taking players off towards the end of the game and hopefully resting players against Everton if we beat Ajax over two legs. It's hard but we still have to manage two competitions, we can't take our eye off the ball in either.

Last edited:
I would always rather play first and let the other teams worry about what they have to do. Let's say we played on Sunday and our rivals won on Saturday, then we would be under pressure to win. The top 4 teams tend to win at least 55% of their games which means more often than not if you play on Sunday/Monday then your rivals have already won after playing Saturday. I think we saw how we were at a disadvantage when Leicester won the league as we always had to play on Sunday afternoon or Monday night and we had to win just to keep within 6/7 points of them.

I don't agree with the logic of resting players (people argued we should have rested players yesterday which I disagreed with), there's only 5 games left at most. Let's just get the job done at Bournemouth and then we have the luxury of taking players off towards the end of the game and hopefully resting players against Everton if we beat Ajax over two legs. It's hard but we still have to manage two competitions, we can't take our eye off the ball in either.
Jeez...we have to take the game on Saturday seriously we have no choice. If our game was Sunday and the results didn't go for us we'd have to take the game seriously ie the same. But the potential to have a game that we don't have to take seriously is only possible by playing after our rivals (if they lost). That would be massive for the 2nd leg Vs Ajax as Poch could choose who he wanted with no worries.(That's the only scenario I'm saying rest players).

So you'd much rather have it as it is, regardless of the above, based on it might put extra pressure on us. Give the team and manager credit we're much better at managing that these days.

Back