• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Barbecues

I have a smoker and a grill or BBQ as they are called in the UK, as I live in Florida we have perpetual sunshine, so we cook outside almost daily in summer when it's too hot to cook indoors.
Beer can Chicken is a favourite, Brisket smoked low and slow 8-10 hours is a another. Some nights we'll just fire up the charcoal and do fish or lamb chops. There's a million different rubs, marinades etc. I don't eat Pork or shellfish but I do love cooking vegetables on the grill, Aubergine/peppers/courgettes etc, and then of course there is nothing like a good steak cooked briefly over glowing embers and allowed to rest. During Hurricane Irma last year when we were without electricity for two weeks, I amazed myself with what you could cook on a grill, pretty much anything, use a frying pan on one to do eggs, etc. I've yet to take a saucepan and make Custard but I bet in could be done.

So, so jealous. Here in Scotland I try and use mine as often as possible, maybe 15 /18 times a year, but it's not the same when your lobster tails and steaks are cooked outside to be eaten inside.

I've actually had BBQ duties for a Royal Wedding party my GF is hosting for her mates next weekend dumped on me - gonna be around 8-10 guests by the sounds of it, never cooked for that many before - what would people suggest food wise and how best to manage the time? Mostly birds as well and im sure a couple probably don't eat meat so will need some fish/veggie options

As per the success of my first attempt at spatchrooster chicken I'm thinking that will be a good idea as the main event, 4 or 5 of them marinated a day or two before and then cooked early on the day and kept warm in the oven - then when the guests are here i can keep them happy with lighter bits like burgers and sausages etc

I've actually had BBQ duties for a Royal Wedding party my GF is hosting for her mates next weekend dumped on me - gonna be around 8-10 guests by the sounds of it, never cooked for that many before - what would people suggest food wise and how best to manage the time? Mostly birds as well and im sure a couple probably don't eat meat so will need some fish/veggie options

As per the success of my first attempt at spatchrooster chicken I'm thinking that will be a good idea as the main event, 4 or 5 of them marinated a day or two before and then cooked early on the day and kept warm in the oven - then when the guests are here i can keep them happy with lighter bits like burgers and sausages etc

Women think completely differently to me when it comes to bbq food. However I'll hazard a guess they'd appreciate a homemade burger. You can add all sorts like finely chopped onion, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, herbs, mustard, an egg, salt/pepper. The key is chop stuff as small as possible then just get your hands in and mix it all together.

Prawn and vegetable skewers are easy too. Make some dips like home made guacamole too, they love that brick. Use carrots as dipping tools too.

I think that larger pieces of meat are definitely the easier way to go. Spatchroostered chicken is great, butterflied leg of lamb is good too. Babaganoush tastes great when done on the BBQ and would suit veggies and meat eaters. Making your own flat bread and cooking it on the grill is fun.

If you have a pizza stone, cooking pizza on a kettle BBQ is really good. I've had some really good parties where we have asked people to bring their own toppings.

Roast peppers are great too. Get them black all over, check them in a bowl and cover with cling film, then peel the skins once they have cooled.

It's asparagus season too. That's nice wrapped in foil, with a little olive oil and roasted on the BBQ.

You and I have very different sort of parties.

custard1.jpg

I'm loving this. Very funny. The poor chap says
Mostly birds as well and im sure a couple probably don't eat meat

...i can keep them happy with lighter bits like burgers and sausages etc

Ha ha! They are women, some don't eat meat, so I think I'll give them something light like a burger! Women don't see a burger as light, they see it as 2 meals.

To which the advice is the classic:

I think that larger pieces of meat are definitely the easier way to go.

This is gold dust. Yeah, definitely larger pieces of meat are the way to go mate... crack on. Maybe put a whole pig on to roast.

Can you fit a crocodile head on the grill?

And then nicely rounded off with the sage:

Women think completely differently to me...I'll hazard a guess they'd appreciate a homemade burger.

I love it.

Tell you what, get some sausages and Stella and a punch bag, birds love a bit of that

Doing one this weekend for the cup final.

Went to a place in a village called ditchling just outside Brighton that do outstanding meat. Going to get some sweetcorn and got some drinks in, just hope the weather holds.

Back