• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

i'd say that it was going to be a goal anyway. it was a last ditch attempt that failed, could have happened to anyone. i don't blame aurier for the penalty today

Thats exactly how I saw it, also Kroos was going down before he even touched him, he knew what was coming

i'd say that it was going to be a goal anyway. it was a last ditch attempt that failed, could have happened to anyone. i don't blame aurier for the penalty today
I didn't see it like that at all. Kroos had actually just lost control of the ball, which ran to (I think) Alderweireld to clear before Aurier's lunge came in.

As Kroos ran through I thought it was a definite goal, when I saw the ball run away from him I thought it must've been the result of the Aurier lunge. However watching the replays it was clear that Kroos somehow lost control of the ball just before Aurier made his lunge.

He will learn I'm sure.

I didn't see it like that at all. Kroos had actually just lost control of the ball, which ran to (I think) Alderweireld to clear before Aurier's lunge came in.

As Kroos ran through I thought it was a definite goal, when I saw the ball run away from him I thought it must've been the result of the Aurier lunge. However watching the replays it was clear that Kroos somehow lost control of the ball just before Aurier made his lunge.

He will learn I'm sure.
No he hadnt, when Aurier started to go down to tackle Kroos still had the ball. Had he waited any longer Kroos should have shot at goal, it was unfortunate he had a bad touch and so ball went to Toby. I don't expect him to be a mind reader....

He is a liability at the moment. For me, you can have a brilliant game for 89 minutes and make a mistake that leads to a goal and that's what I will judge you on. These players are playing at the highest level. Ramon Vegas used to have very good games but would often make critical mistakes. He was always labelled with that tag. Aurier is gaining a reputation and will be seen as a weak link. I would play Trippier in the bigger games and try to coach out his mistakes

Liability? Bit strong surely?

With young players, they are going to make these sorts of mistakes. You need to cross the line sometimes to establish where the line is and get judgment right. Playing it safe will only get you so far. Walker and Rose showed the same sort of issues when they were younger, and it was only really until Poch got involved that they started to really be the players that they are now. Cut him some slack.

What I can guarantee you, is that he is probably feeling much worse about it than any of us at this present moment in time. He will learn and become a better player for it. He is by no means a liability, but rather a player that I think will be really important for us.

No he hadnt, when Aurier started to go down to tackle Kroos still had the ball. Had he waited any longer Kroos should have shot at goal, it was unfortunate he had a bad touch and so ball went to Toby. I don't expect him to be a mind reader....
I was disagreeing with the part of metalgear's post that it was going to be a goal anyway. I agree that Aurier isn't a mind reader and could not have known that Kroos was going to take a bad touch, but had Aurier not lunged in (and that lunge was always likely to result in a penalty and yellow card) then the game would've continued with Alderweireld clearing the ball and us still leading 1-0.

Which you wouldn’t see if you following the player and the ball
If you had more experience than Aurier and could utilize your peripheral vision you might. There are many great defenders who don't make the rash challenge because they sense a fellow defender nearby to mop up.

I was disagreeing with the part of metalgear's post that it was going to be a goal anyway. I agree that Aurier isn't a mind reader and could not have known that Kroos was going to take a bad touch, but had Aurier not lunged in (and that lunge was always likely to result in a penalty and yellow card) then the game would've continued with Alderweireld clearing the ball and us still leading 1-0.
In Aurier s mind the third touch of Kroos was likely to be a shot (and more than likely a goal), so he goes all out to get a tackle in, its unfortunate that Kroos third touch happens to be a bad one that will end up with Toby, making Auriers decision look bad. But that decision is made in a blink of an eye, his assumption of Kroos next action is a valid one. Who expects a player of Kroos ability to toe it too far ahead of him in that situation, not me.

i would say he is tackling blind and with the wrong leg (although right footed players coming in from that side will mostly use their right leg), that leg will always contact the opponent earlier and give him an easier option to fall over. If Jan had been in Auriers position he'd be more effective sweeping round with his left leg (like he loves to do), creating more of a block and less of an obstacle to fall over.

He is quite a bit like Walker.......just two years behind in the school of Poch.

He is a liability at the moment. For me, you can have a brilliant game for 89 minutes and make a mistake that leads to a goal and that's what I will judge you on. These players are playing at the highest level. Ramon Vegas used to have very good games but would often make critical mistakes. He was always labelled with that tag. Aurier is gaining a reputation and will be seen as a weak link. I would play Trippier in the bigger games and try to coach out his mistakes

Outrageous comments.

If you had more experience than Aurier and could utilize your peripheral vision you might. There are many great defenders who don't make the rash challenge because they sense a fellow defender nearby to mop up.
More experience maybe but the visit bit is something that so much harder to judge when your not playing

The views and angles we get on TV are 1000% better than the players get on the pitch

What if that 89 mins included scoring a hat-trick and making multiple goal-line clearances? ;)

That's making up for his error. We ended up drawing the game. So potentially it cost us a win.

Its also not the first time he has made an error. He hasn't played many games but made mistakes already. At the level we are at now it has to stop and quickly.

I have a French friend and when i asked him about Aurier he simply said "no brain" so far that's very true. Let's hope Poch trains it out of him, and fast!

aurier is very smart going forwards so no brain isn't exactly correct. he also played well moving the ball upfield without hoofing it.
perhaps more reckless risk taker would be more appropriate.

That's making up for his error. We ended up drawing the game. So potentially it cost us a win.

Its also not the first time he has made an error. He hasn't played many games but made mistakes already. At the level we are at now it has to stop and quickly.

I have a French friend and when i asked him about Aurier he simply said "no brain" so far that's very true. Let's hope Poch trains it out of him, and fast!
What cost us the win was Navas super save in the one-on-one with Kane and a couple of breaks where we had them outnumbered and couldn't get the final pass right.

The marginal calls were very harsh IMO

And they had some offside go their way cos Ramos said so
Biggest one was when Dier was tripped inside the box. Not even marginal in my book. Clear pen despite that assenine Macmanaman dismissing it after replays showed just how clear it was.

I think he had no option but to try and go for the ball as if you watch the replay he had started to make the challenge before Kroos took that bad touch. He threw himself in to try and make a desperate block from someone who you would have put your house on to score from that position.

Back