• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Racism in football

A chimpanzee is not a monkey.

fudge me if that isn’t one of the worst decisions ever made though, it has to be trolling.

Thank you for pointing out the monkey/ape.
That really annoys me and happens quite a lot.
You would think some of these educated journos would know that.

As for the racist angle, is the point of the poster that we all share a common ancestor, therefore are the same?
If so it's a bit a leap for the average football fan to make, especially as they don't seem to know the difference between a monkey and an ape.

As for the racist angle, is the point of the poster that we all share a common ancestor, therefore are the same?
If so it's a bit a leap for the average football fan to make, especially as they don't seem to know the difference between a monkey and an ape.

Mate, the association with any kind of primate in a culture that brings bananas to throw on the pitch is probably ill advised.

Cheers = good, monkey chants = bad, is probably as much as the typical fan can handle

Mate, the association with any kind of primate in a culture that brings bananas to throw on the pitch is probably ill advised.

Cheers = good, monkey chants = bad, is probably as much as the typical fan can handle

Sorry if it/I wasn't clear, and rereading it I wasn't, this isn't a good idea, not in any way, shape or form.
Until the associations in countries that have the level of problem that Italy has actually accept that walk offs and point deduction is the first step to stopping this then the rest is just meaningless posturing that IMHO will make no difference.
It does smack of a totally detached art house ad agency being asked to run a campaign in an environment they know nothing about and being too clever for their own good.
I haven't looked beyond the headline and first paragraph of the article, so I could be totally wrong.

I can let one go but the BBC article uses the word 17 times.

Sorry if it/I wasn't clear, and rereading it I wasn't, this isn't a good idea, not in any way, shape or form.
Until the associations in countries that have the level of problem that Italy has actually accept that walk offs and point deduction is the first step to stopping this then the rest is just meaningless posturing that IMHO will make no difference.
It does smack of a totally detached art house ad agency being asked to run a campaign in an environment they know nothing about and being too clever for their own good.
I haven't looked beyond the headline and first paragraph of the article, so I could be totally wrong.

Didn't think you did mate :)

It's funny reading the responses (in general on web), you are closest in terms of this being detached idiots trying to be too clever.

This kind of stuff, the message needs to be clear and focuses .. more like "don't be an asshole" vs. the core message of this is some weird "we are all apes" to a crowd that already has license to use monkey chants?

I'm a fool I thought there was racism in football as there is in life but words and names MUST be put in context, you can shout what you want as long as you think it's in the right context, for full details see Yids chants.

I'm a fool I thought there was racism in football as there is in life but words and names MUST be put in context, you can shout what you want as long as you think it's in the right context, for full details see Yids chants.

Ridiculous misunderstanding of the point being made.

Context is there regardless of whether you see/understand it or not.

However, that understanding is pretty key in knowing whether offence was intended or not, and therefore how to react.

Blindly being offended by a word no matter its use is, frankly, stupid.

Last edited:

However, that understanding is pretty key in knowing whether offence was intended or not, and therefore how to react.

Do you write Donald Trumps output?

I'm not an expert in the topic, but legally, is it not the case that there does not have to be intent for a comment or action to be racist?

(I don't disagree that context should be taken into account).

The Artist was given a commission based on the topic and came up with a pretty thought provoking idea that we are all the same therefore, I imagine that we all look at ourselves as one and it creates unity. I have read the artists synopsis and I respect his integrity and therefore I understand the thought behind the work.

The problem is people can't see past the picture itself which I totally understand based on what that image historically portrays but you do in the example of the artwork have to take the artists explanation to understand it in my opinion.

Back