• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

POLL - Thread merging - for or against?

How do you feel about the thread merging?

• I love it, we should have one thread called football where everything goes.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I hate it, no decent discussions happen on here any more.

Votes: 40 70.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SpursLodge

Nicola Berti
Yesterday I created a thread for the ball boy incident and it got merged into the other teams games thread. I deliberately created a separate thread as I thought it was a discussion worth having in it's own right.

These mega threads are so confusing, last night there was only 2 games going on but you still have people having different discussions in the same thread, some discussing Arsenal/West Ham, some discussing Chelsea/Swansea and then within that some discussing the actual Chelsea game and some talking about that specific incident and it's even more chaotic when there's a few games going on.

I've found that I visit less and less these days and when I do I just look for new threads and don't even bother going into the mega threads as I can't be bothered to find the page where I last read up to and then read on from there.

What's the problem with having lots of little threads with a few pages that eventually disappear? The good threads will keep active and the dull ones will drop off and be forgotten, that's how it's supposed to work surely?

So I thought I'd create a poll to see what others think, I'm sure this has been done before but I can't remember the results (maybe it got merged somewhere and I lost track of it).

If you click on that little blue thingy in front of a thread title it will take you to first unread post in that thread.

Agreed 100%

Interesting topics are often lost in these mega threads, while some people can't be bothered to thrawl through pages and pages of stuff.

I can understand dedicated threads for players, AVB, other footy games, etc.

The forum dynamic changed substantially over the last 12 months or so

(Where is your poll?)

I wasn't on here last night, but I think any topic that is bound to generate a few pages should be allowed to live. I usually just merge player related stuff.

BTW, the poll options suck. I don't remotely agree with any of them.

If you click on that little blue thingy in front of a thread title it will take you to first unread post in that thread.

That's fine but I have 2 PCs as well as my phone and tablet that I visit from and I'm not always logged in so that doesn't work for me.

That's fine but I have 2 PCs as well as my phone and tablet that I visit from and I'm not always logged in so that doesn't work for me.

I switch between PCs and phone and it works just fine. You need to be logged in of course.

I wasn't on here last night, but I think any topic that is bound to generate a few pages should be allowed to live. I usually just merge player related stuff.

BTW, the poll options suck. I don't remotely agree with any of them.

The options are essentially like merging, hate merging and indifferent to it. Surely you fit into one of those?

Agreed 100%

Interesting topics are often lost in these mega threads, while some people can't be bothered to thrawl through pages and pages of stuff.

I can understand dedicated threads for players, AVB, other footy games, etc.

The forum dynamic changed substantially over the last 12 months or so

(Where is your poll?)

Even the long player threads annoy me. What if Bale gets injured in training and I somehow manage to not here about it, if I'm not in the mood to discuss Bale I wouldn't go into his thread and would never know, if there was a separate thread with a title of Bale injured in training or something similar then I'll go in and discuss it.

More threads means more discussion as far as I'm concerned and as I say, the brick threads will drop off and be forgotten and the good ones will hang around for a while and create activity.

Hasn't this been discussed to death on here. Personally, it should go whatever way is easiest for those that run the forum. Its there free time they are using to make this place run smoothly. If too many threads on the same subject make it harder for them then we should accept what they think makes it easier for them

I think merging the ball boy discussion into the other teams and games thread is very unhelpful as there are other discussions going on at the same time that get lost.

It would be better in the chelsea honourable contributions to football thread as even they rarely have two scandals at the same time.

Now he tells me!!! #-o

My tuppence worth ...duplicate threads should be merged but no harm in having new threads. They're different topics after all.
Mega threads tend to have multiple intertwined discussions which are very hard to follow especially now that the nested quotes have gone.

Last edited:
I am all for thread merging but some things should have their own threads because it generates a lot of discussion. Like the Hazard ball boy incident should definitely have its own thread its hard to sift through the discussion amidst talk of other games

it should go whatever way is easiest for those that run the forum. Its there free time they are using to make this place run smoothly. If too many threads on the same subject make it harder for them then we should accept what they think makes it easier for them

agreed, and if someone can tell me how merging threads makes things easier for them then that's fine by me but surely it makes things harder for them to be constantly on the look out for new threads and then deciding if it stays on its own or gets merged.

Wow that has now made my life so much easier. I did not know you could do that lol.

Next you are going to tell me that there is a way to get notifications when someone has quoted my post?

Part of the problem is, that a lot of posters don't bother going beyond page 1 of the forum they are viewing. Christ, some don't even scroll to the bottom of the page!!
The more threads you have, the greater the chance of a half decent topic dropping off page 1 quicker, and thus being missed, and then duplicates being made.

And don't forget, it is the contributors to this forum who take threads off-topic, thus making threads on a particular subject hard to read through.
It's not only the mods at fault here (in your opinion ;) )

I think threads should be merged sometimes.

If I want to discuss the ball boy incident (which is quite a talking point) where should I discuss it? In the other teams/football or in the chelski thread? Possibly worth keeping that thread as it's own entity just because it is going to go for a few days, but it is a judgement call.

Sometimes I hate mega threads. Last transfer window the transfer mega thread was a pain in the ass to try and keep up with/read and this transfer win having loads of threads in it's own sub-forum is far more enjoyable to read.

So maybe if we er on the side of caution and only merge threads if it's definitely needed? i.d. leave a thread alone if it's a current hot topic/talking point. Can always merge it later if you think you made a mistake not merging it.

I think threads should be merged sometimes.

If I want to discuss the ball boy incident (which is quite a talking point) where should I discuss it? In the other teams/football or in the chelski thread? Possibly worth keeping that thread as it's own entity just because it is going to go for a few days, but it is a judgement call.

Sometimes I hate mega threads. Last transfer window the transfer mega thread was a pain in the ass to try and keep up with/read and this transfer win having loads of threads in it's own sub-forum is far more enjoyable to read.

So maybe if we er on the side of caution and only merge threads if it's definitely needed? i.d. leave a thread alone if it's a current hot topic/talking point. Can always merge it later if you think you made a mistake not merging it.

Fair point

Back