1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by SpurMeUp, 19 Feb 2019.

1. scaramanga

scaramanga Garth Crooks Staff Member

I'm not spending another 20 posts explaining to you again, only for you to ask the same questions in a couple of weeks again.

It doesn't matter anyway, the only way for Boris to win the next election is to be out of the EU first and in a manner that the electorate doesn't feel is BINO.

So based on timescales available, either the EU stops being so fudging unreasonable about their little Ireland problem or we shut down parliament and have complete freedom.

parklane1 likes this.
  2. ShipOfTheseus

ShipOfTheseus Didier Zokora

“Shut down parliament and have complete freedom”. This is what we have come to. Jesus.

Rorschach, DTA and the dza like this.
  3. parklane1

parklane1 Paul Stewart

i gave up on trying to do that with him months ago, he has it on a loop.

4. parklane1

parklane1 Paul Stewart

Indeed.

5. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Paul Walsh

That you can’t simply outline what “deliverer Brexit” is in one simple post illustrates the nonsense of Brexit. ‘Deliver Brexit’ is a catch phrase. The reality of it is highly complex and difficult to deliver (impossible without damaging the UK).

It needs someone like Boris to deal with such abstract concepts /guff that bears so little relation to reality. That’s his bag. Hyperbole.

Who’d have thought Cameron was destroying the Tory party calling the referendum?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

ShipOfTheseus likes this.
  6. scaramanga

I can't sum up thermodynamics in one simple post either - that doesn't make it any less real or negate it's importance

7. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Paul Walsh

And you expect Boris Johnson to get a grip on thermodynamics?

It’s not particularly hard to sum up a branch of physics that deals with heat and energy. Far easier than outlining a Brexit solution.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

8. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Chris Armstrong

Where I was living in Grays they found a gang on the street in pos' of loads of drugs, found them to be using girls usually GFs to hold the drugs as they were in theory were less likely searched, using kids on bikes as runners etc the police found all this, had the evidence as they busted them in the town centre. Anyway the known leader was sent to court and got a curfew...a curfew for being in their words "a known drug" dealer. Not allowed out after X and not allowed near the town centre etc.

Stone the crows a couple of months later found to have broken the curfew and in London up to no good.

What's the point?

9. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

That's an interesting point, I hadn't considered that before.

I don't think prorogation will be a straightforward process in this case.

According to this source: https://infacts.org/brexit-prorogation-coup-can-and-must-be-stopped/

The law says that prorogation is a decision for the sovereign on the advice and the consent of the Privy Council. Some lawyers think that the “Privy Council” in this context means the Cabinet; others argue that the entire Privy Council would have to agree. That would mean dragging the Queen into a constitutional crisis and no party has a majority amongst the 650 or so members of the Privy Council.

In practice, prorogation takes place with the agreement of the opposition. Indeed, these days the sovereign does not go to Parliament to read the proclamation but sends a “royal commission” made up of the leaders of the parties in the House of Lords instead.

It is true that there was a short prorogation in 1948 to stop the House of Lords blocking the Parliament Act but the government had a majority for it in the Commons – unlike today.

Parliament is not powerless to stop prorogation. Although Brexiters believe that they can prorogue Parliament during the summer recess, MPs can act to prevent that. Standing Order 25 provides for a vote before the Commons can adjourn before a recess; MPs could reject the adjournment without an undertaking not to trigger prorogation.

Also, re. delivering Brexit -- well that's the bind for this government. No-deal has no support in Parliament (and seems likely to cause the government to fall), anything softer and the Brexit party will split the Tory vote come a General Election.

10. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

Also, Bercow's opinion on it (watch the video clip at the top of this article) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48541352

For him to have that level of confidence that prorogation won't happen to force through a hard-brexit, he must know that there would be some process or other to prevent it. And he'd know better than anybody (including Raab).

11. Grays_1890

This does not sit purely on politics or politicians although there is a link between politics and community, the community and families have to do more on this.

Its all ok being church going GHod fearing folk but the "not my son" "always a good boy" stuff proves, If they believe what they say, that there is more to do. Not holding their kids accountable for their actions or where they are is a huge problem in my opinion.

That said Khan record is starting to stink the place up

12. scaramanga

I'm not sure he would. His role and his knowledge are two entirely separate measures.

13. Robspur12

Robspur12 Vedran Corluka

Haha everything is so simple. You don't think the communities are trying to do something about it? Do you think they just want to see their kids die?

A member of the question time audience made some good points the other night on this matter. You have single mums, some through choice, some through bad decisions some because fathers are just irresponsible. The single mum has 2 jobs, working at the supermarket or cleaning so no one is at home looking after those kids. Or the kids are excluded from school too quickly, and without structure they are groomed into gangs.

Politicians can help. Not by individually rounding up kids. But by setting realistic budgets for police, LAs other enforcement agencies that regulate areas such as smuggling rather than year on year forcing savings from them. LAs on average have had to make 40% in budget savings since 2010. Despite increasing demands in areas such as social care.

Politicians have cut budgets for organisations that work with different ethnic groups to assist their integration into British Society. Likewise for groups that support new mums, building a sense of community. There are consequences to those decisions.

This is a nationwide problem. So while it is fair to be asking what is Khan doing about it you should also question the home secretary.

SteveAWOL, DTA, galeforce and 2 others like this.
  14. Grays_1890

Never said it was simple, I've seen it first hand so I know its not

I saw QT and middle aged nan of 14 grandchildren...

My dad was in the Met and hardly home and my mum worked long hours in the NHS but I was always accountable for where I was and in situations where it was unreasonable times of the day I was at friends or with family, I get the point on broken families but the families still need to take responsibility, blaming others for your own problems is easy.

The theme for these issues as I was told by my dad is broken homes and absent fathers many of the dads wronguns some inside, some dead, but there are bad decisions on both sides, the fathers choices In life and the womens choice of father for their children, that's the first level of responsibility.

And the denial of any wrong doing is real, my mate who is on the beat took a lad home only to be spat at by the mother due to her son being so innocent in her eyes...

Scoopage likes this.
  15. AuroRaman

AuroRaman Gerry Armstrong

Plebeian

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

scaramanga and Rorschach like this.
  16. parklane1

parklane1 Paul Stewart

That goes to show how crazy the process of the law is in todays world, as i said i feel sorry for the police on most occasions. They try and do their best to stop arseholes causing problems/breaking the law etc only to get to court and find some bleeding heart liberal social worker making excuses for them.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2019
  17. Rorschach

Rorschach Terry Dyson

The little Ireland problem. LOL.

DTA likes this.
  18. Robspur12

Robspur12 Vedran Corluka

It's not just kids from broken homes who are like that in my experience. There are plenty of middle class parents who do not tell their kids off and that is going to lead to its own problems in adult hood. But citing single cases of poor court decisions or bad behaviour is not the norm or showing we are soft on crime.

In a population of 5 million you will get plenty of wrong uns and our system is not designed to change people long term unfortunately. Just to administer short sharp shocks.

19. Grays_1890

Yeh I agree but when machette weilding nutters are given suspended sentances and they find long knives on gangs in North London only to give them community orders, those stories hardly fill you with warm fluffy feelings.

I think society is messed up when we care or give more air time about a politician pushing an intruder than the 5 or so murders since last Friday or there are no reactions in comparison to the footage of gangs chasing the police in Stratford after a stabbing at the weekend or gangs of school kids wadding in on a bike rider

20. Grays_1890

I was thinking about this today seeing the news and fall out and the more I think about it the more I feel this guys being stitched up.

MPs are high risk targets and being an unwanted visitor at this dinner is no different to trying to get into HOP or number 10 and what reaction would she get to doing that? I would imagine the consequences would be serious, a shove and being able to give interviews today means she got away lightly, just look at Bryan Ferrys son, he ended up with a trip to the courts.

Like I said hindsight we can say she was no risk but we have the comfort of not living the moment, but in the climate of Jo Cox, Westminster attacks and general public sh1thousery I don't see how we can condemn a mans actions which were to protect and defend the person who committed the original wrong

Yermiyahu likes this.