1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Oliver Skipp

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Spur of the moment, 1 Aug 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hidden

Hidden Stephen Clemence

Reminds me of Scott Parker.

2. ShipOfTheseus

ShipOfTheseus Jose Dominguez

There was a long stretch where we had aimless, unchallenged possession - well, okay, that was the whole match, but I’m thinking of a sequence of perhaps thirty moves, in the first half - where no-one wanted to pass to Skipp, at all. It was piggy in the middle. Not sure if it reflected a lack of trust, a wish not to put him under pressure, or that he was being consistently marked, but it struck me as odd.

3. Yiddo

Yiddo Edgar Davids

His post match interview seemed like he was really emotional and close to tears. Credit to the lad and i hope he progresses and becomes a regular.

Yermiyahu likes this.
  4. johnola

johnola Pascal Chimbonda

All picked by the Pochettino...

5. BrainOfLevy

BrainOfLevy Vedran Corluka

He has a funny way of talking, I’ve seen him look the exact same way before. To me it’s almkst like he is so overly composed, he takes his time with everything he is saying. Super considered.

6. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Luka Modric

Impossible really to judge him. Burnley turned up without any intent to use the midfield at all. Nor pressure ours.

Given he was barely offered a tackle, how can we judge what he is really like?

For me though I had the general sense he was just playing it too safe. Completely understandable, its his debut, he doesnt want to fudge up - but I just felt the whole time he was playing within himself.

I look forward to a game where he actually expresses himself more.

Otherwise, looked decent. Good vision, composure, technique - but not a game that will tell us much about him IMO.

Biggest compliment has to be made that he didnt look like a boy among men. Much like Winks did, he looked very comfortable to be out there.

harr1984 likes this.
  7. NaijaSpurs

NaijaSpurs Jimmy Neighbour

I can live with my defensive midfielder playing it safe, especially on his full debut age 18.

galeforce, milo and Jon like this.
  8. NaijaSpurs

With Dier out it looks like we will be seeing a bit more of him in the next few weeks

9. parklane1

parklane1 Barry Daines

That is the thing that stuck out for me as well, obviously Burnley were not the best team to impress against but as you say he did not look out of place and that is the same feeling/impression i got when i first saw Winks.

Hopefully they both go on and have long successful futures here. Seen several youngsters make the debut over my time as a supporter and they have sometimes been overhyped and failed to live up to that hype, however Skipp seems to have the ability and just as important the presence to succeed.

10. Bullet

Bullet Rafael Van Der Vaart

Indeed... with Wanyama and Dembele out for so long, Winks was out, now Dier out with appendicitis, our midfield is threadbare.

Interestingly I went onto the official site to show Oliver Skipp to my son.

He isn't on the first team page alongside N'Koudou and Onomah, 2CV and Janssen, so I tried the U23s and he isn't there alongside Duncan and Dinzeyi, Freeman and Reynolds, all these young lads on the brink of being released... he's down on the U18 page with Pochettino and Tainio, just a child really.

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/teams/first-team/players/
    https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/teams/under-23/players/
    https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/teams/under-18/players/

11. afsoc4life

afsoc4life Andy Sinton

Oakley Boothes is someone else I recall Pochettino taking on preseason - I am not sure if my memory is faulty? Good to see that Poch is using the Academy though.

12. Jon

Jon Paul Stalteri

I think TOB got a pretty bad injury didn’t he? Although I’m second guessing myself as Amos also got close to cracking the squad, and definitely got crocked this season.

Amazing if Winks, Skipp, TOB and Amos all eventually made it in though! (and Onomah....)

13. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Luka Modric

He's a DM is he? I couldnt tell. And that was my point. A combination of his conservative performance (completely understandable) and the opposition leave me knowing little more about him than I did before his debut.

14. NaijaSpurs

I do not know if he is naturally a defensive midfielder but he played as one on Saturday. I look forward to him facing harder tests in the future

15. Benny_Lad

Benny_Lad Ramon Vega

It wasn't really apparent due to the lack of approach play from Burnley through the middle of the park.

Look forward to seeing him in a more free flowing game, not only to see his defensive work but also his ability to move it forward when needed.

16. greatwhitenorf

greatwhitenorf Andy Sinton

Times like this you wonder how well Luke Amos would have done this season. Looked a lock to make the first squad before his injury.

17. K.D.D.D.D.Soc

K.D.D.D.D.Soc Dean Richards

He's like a wing half similar type of player to Alan Mullery

18. MKSpur

MKSpur Young-Pyo Lee

Blimey are players selling their own naming rights nowadays??

19. Jon

Jon Paul Stalteri

One for the kids there! “What’s a wing half Grandad???”

20. K.D.D.D.D.Soc

K.D.D.D.D.Soc Dean Richards

The engine of the team, box to box player who could tackle and pass