• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

As others have said and Poch himself, our current model has/did have a shelf life. If we don't push on to winning trophies we face being in the situation Arsenal find themselves in, looking behind to the up and comers rather than forward towards the top table.

Which is why I can't see our next manager being less established. We can't afford for someone to be learning on the job. If we're going to go that route the successor needs to be in post within the club now managing the u23's or something.

Again whoever comes in, no chance they get one over on Levy finances wise. You think the man who charged Lyon for Lloris shirts would let any manager overspend?

Have to agree with all of that and sums up my feelings perfectly. I know there are many fans who despise Mourinio but no one can deny that he is a winner who more or less Guarantees trophys.

He has had a war chest in most of the clubs he has been at but i am sure IF he was interviewed for the job Levy will leave him in no doubt that he will not be allowed to throw money around.

As Nayim said above he is not just a defensive minded coach and that Chelsea team with Robben etc were great to watch.

I still think Poch will be here for a while BUT if he was to move on we need a manager who has shown the ability to do just that.

Allegri or Simeone for me if Poch should decide to leave. But there is something wrong with the team and ethos. I cannot even point it on Danny as I think he has backed poch this summer … perhaps Poch wanted more backing in the market. GHod knows that we needed a few more players.

As others have said and Poch himself, our current model has/did have a shelf life. If we don't push on to winning trophies we face being in the situation Arsenal find themselves in, looking behind to the up and comers rather than forward towards the top table.

Which is why I can't see our next manager being less established. We can't afford for someone to be learning on the job. If we're going to go that route the successor needs to be in post within the club now managing the u23's or something.

Again whoever comes in, no chance they get one over on Levy finances wise. You think the man who charged Lyon for Lloris shirts would let any manager overspend?

Makes me laugh how people say things like "push on and win trophies" as if
A) Its really that simple, and
B) As if we havent been trying already....

Our current model has seen us progress year on year from basically no where to one of the best teams in the country and a CL final. Something else people like to talk about as if its limited, what if - perhaps - its patience that is required and not a new model?

Why the automatic assumption that what is required is a chequebook manager? Or that getting in someone like Mourinho - in almost every way the opposite of our club and its ethos - will make a positive difference?

As opposed to a young, dynamic manager who only needs the right platform to show what he is really capable of (for example).

I agree with Raziel, its not as if one way is right and thats it. Theres logic/reason to multiple avenues, but I do defy the idea its automatic someone like Mourinho is going to make a difference for the better.

Well history shows what it shows.

How many young dynamic managers have dropped into established clubs and taken them to the next level having no previous experience of winning things. When is the last time a young dynamic manager won anything? Martinez at Wigan?

How many different managers have won the Premiership? How did they come to be at their clubs?

Young and dynamic is great and all, but pragmatism wins trophies. Look at Liverpool with Rodgers, if he had experience and set up his team to not loose instead of win he would have won the league, same with Keegan.

Arsenal could have got Arteta but instead went for Emery.

It's a bet either way, and when betting people go with the proven likelier option. The higher the stakes the safer the bet.

When you're in competition with the likes of City and Liverpool - ie teams knocking out 90+ point seasons then you need more than a safe bet to challenge them for the trophies on offer, especially if you aren't on the same financial footing, taking a chance on a younger manager who's on an upward curve is one way to close the gap,but it's far from exact science.

Also it seems it needs pointing out that plenty of other clubs around us have fudged up with safe bet managers also.

Well history shows what it shows.

How many young dynamic managers have dropped into established clubs and taken them to the next level having no previous experience of winning things. When is the last time a young dynamic manager won anything? Martinez at Wigan?

How many different managers have won the Premiership? How did they come to be at their clubs?

Young and dynamic is great and all, but pragmatism wins trophies. Look at Liverpool with Rodgers, if he had experience and set up his team to not loose instead of win he would have won the league, same with Keegan.

Arsenal could have got Arteta but instead went for Emery.

It's a bet either way, and when betting people go with the proven likelier option. The higher the stakes the safer the bet.

Mourinho at Porto, arguably Chelsea.
Guardiola at Barcelona, most obvious option.
Zidane at Madrid.
Klopp at Dortmund.
Conte at Juventus...

History does indeed show what it shows, and its not necessarily that the tried and tested is always the way to go.

I see no reason at all why a young up and comer cannot also be a pragmatist. They come in all shapes and sizes.

It is indeed a bet either way, my protestation is that its any more a guarantee with (say) Mourinho. There is no safe bet.

It is indeed a bet either way, my protestation is that its any more a guarantee with (say) Mourinho. There is no safe bet.

There is no guaranteed bet, but some bets have been proven to be good ones over and over.

We covered this before, each option has appeal, my big issue with young and upcoming right now beyond time is

- I really believe Kane, Son, Dele, Lucas, Eriksen, Jan, Toby have another level up, and they need to be challenged, they need to be pushed again and it will take them believing that the incoming manager has something to teach them, demands respect to get that last level out of them

There is no guaranteed bet, but some bets have been proven to be good ones over and over.

We covered this before, each option has appeal, my big issue with young and upcoming right now beyond time is

- I really believe Kane, Son, Dele, Lucas, Eriksen, Jan, Toby have another level up, and they need to be challenged, they need to be pushed again and it will take them believing that the incoming manager has something to teach them, demands respect to get that last level out of them

And where in that is the prerequisite for that manager to be a Mourinho type?

What if the manager coming in, after a couple of training sessions, had earned their full respect regardless of his profile?

And where in that is the prerequisite for that manager to be a Mourinho type?

What if the manager coming in, after a couple of training sessions, had earned their full respect regardless of his profile?

Again possible .. but reality is a Jose or Allegri will have it without the training session by virtue of past achievements and reputation.

And if you want another argument, just hiring Jose/Allegri will raise the profile of the club, those managers are expected to go to European elite level clubs.

Again possible .. but reality is a Jose or Allegri will have it without the training session by virtue of past achievements and reputation.

And if you want another argument, just hiring Jose/Allegri will raise the profile of the club, those managers are expected to go to European elite level clubs.

"but reality is..." is it? And if it is - so what if a training session negates that incoming reputation? Is it even something to consider?

I completely understand the PR side of it. The "we've arrived" moment, the "Look we are a big club" thing, and Ive no doubt it will be of appeal to Levy.

The main issues I have with that sort of manager (specifically Mourinho, but possibly applies to all) is simple:

1) Romanticism. Yes, I know, personal preference. I just find so much enjoyment in the excitement of a young manager, the unknown potential etc. Someone like Mourinho is such a known quantity we can already see how it ends (only question is, how long will it take and will we win anything in between?). I totally get it, its a personal choice, but the younger up and comer is very much a preference for me. I dont hold it against someone for wanting otherwise.

2) Pragmatism. It was mentioned upthread already, but Im thinking more in terms of round pegs in round holes. Levy has built this club in a very specific manner, and has (generally) always hired managers to suit that very specific set up. Poch being a prime example. And its a set up I am very much an advocate for. Where is the sense in getting in someone like Mourinho, who is an absolutely known entity - who DOES NOT fit that set up at all?

Its not just a new manager you are getting, its either a clusterfudge when that manager clashes with the club, or its a complete over haul in ethos - running against the entire ENIC project to date. And, its a change that puts us in direct competition with much bigger guns, a fight we will certainly lose.

Compare to another manager in the mould of Poch, someone who can come in and excel in the club, continue the work we have been doing?

I really dont think Mourinho is as much a sure thing as people just blindly assume. To the degree where I personally would prefer a calculated risk on someone who can slide into Pochs shoes and take things forward, rather than someone of big repute.

Ive seen very mixed assessments on Allegri.

Some stating he is a tactical genius, improves players, creates very flexible teams.... Others stating his man management is poor, and his team play slow football, preferring to keep possession rather than attack at pace etc...

Im 50/50 on him myself, not really following Italian football leaves me without much knowledge on him/Juve.

The whole "Get someone nailed on" argument reminds me very much of when we got Poch, actually. LvG was heavily linked, and was my preference in that instance based soley on the "big name/no brainer" status he held. My romantic side preferred De Boer, Ive a soft spot for Ajax and loved what he was doing there, but pragmatism won the day and my view was that LvG was the man we needed.

As it is we took the choice to make more of a gamble, and it paid dividends for us. I do wonder where we would be now had LvG taken over, considering his time at Utd Im not sure it would have been anything like as positive.

The whole "Get someone nailed on" argument reminds me very much of when we got Poch, actually. LvG was heavily linked, and was my preference in that instance based soley on the "big name/no brainer" status he held. My romantic side preferred De Boer, Ive a soft spot for Ajax and loved what he was doing there, but pragmatism won the day and my view was that LvG was the man we needed.

As it is we took the choice to make more of a gamble, and it paid dividends for us. I do wonder where we would be now had LvG taken over, considering his time at Utd Im not sure it would have been anything like as positive.

I wanted De Boer over Poch too. I now have much less regard for my own opinion than I once did...

I wanted De Boer over Poch too. I now have much less regard for my own opinion than I once did...

Ha! I wasnt anti-Poch, I was happy with either him or FdB, but De Boer was my preference.

And I still maintain he was hard done by at Palace (not that they will complain considering Hodgsons performance).

The only real point there was - we didnt go for the sure thing, did we?

Ever since Levy appointed Pochettino, I've held the belief that Man U went for van Gaal as much to keep him away from us (as a "tried-and-tested trophy winner") as anything else. If they'd been the ones to make the "riskier" appointment instead, they'd be sitting pretty now.

What if LvG would have been a success at Spurs, Poch would have failed at united, and the overriding factors are Levy and Woodward?

"What if....?" is kind of the point. There is no sure fire success, and despite what people keep saying Im not even sure theres the case of stacking the odds in your favour with a "name" manager.

Each club/board/squad/form situation varies so wildly, what works for one situation doesnt work for another.

Mourinho at Porto, arguably Chelsea.
Guardiola at Barcelona, most obvious option.
Zidane at Madrid.
Klopp at Dortmund.
Conte at Juventus...

History does indeed show what it shows, and its not necessarily that the tried and tested is always the way to go.

I see no reason at all why a young up and comer cannot also be a pragmatist. They come in all shapes and sizes.

Your list relates to my point, apart from Conte they were managers who were schooled at the club before going into the job. Where's the list of up and comers who then took a established team to greater heights?

Last edited:
Back