• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I think its quite clear Poch is ruthless as fudge, so I wouldnt hesitate to say he will do what is necessary if/when the time comes.

It quite obvious that he is ruthless against those that he (no longer/ at the momen) consider has his darlings. The future will tell if he can be that against whose that still are, but history have many examples of really good coaches that have faded since they didn't dare. And the way he treats Eriksen (etc) makes me wonder...

But todays game will be a good evaulation.

I think players are his darlings when they buy into his ways and perform for him. I think its entirely possible current "darling" players can fall from grace rather easily, none of them are beyond reproach, IMO.

I have every confidence, for example, he would sell Eriksen in a heartbeat if it meant we would be better off (somehow) afterwards.

The guy has a cheeky smile and a pleasant demeanor, but he is a shark.

Could be, but a player that is out of form might be even more out of form if he plays and it will take even longer time for him to recoup that gap.

So I wonder it is wouldn't be better, in the long term, to pick a player that is, at least on the paper, as good as the one you drop. Just for the purpose to give your main man some rest.

Who knows? I think thats a horses for courses type thing. Player A might benefit more from continued games to work his way to form, player B might benefit more from a little time out to recharge his batteries...

Take Lamela's slow return - it seems that has been more about him being mentally ready than physically. Then look at someone like Kane who can come in and hit the ground running immediately...

I think he knows that if he drops Dele (i'm presuming he's the "undroppable" in question), even if for legitimate reasons of tiredness or poor form, that the media sharks will come circling tenfold and completely unsettle him. If you thought Rose was clickbait or column inches, imagine the charade around Dele.

Whilst i agree that Poch is ruthless and won't suffer fools, I do believe he's had to be a bit sensible over Dele and it might be for the greater good of the squads concentration on the pitch right now to not have more unwanted media attention and speculation over a star man's future.

He has more to think about than just who is in form - Alli will be seen as a player with potential high value (whether its on the pitch for us or through a transfer fee recouped) and his development as a player is key to the club over a medium to long term time period.

I think he knows that if he drops Dele (i'm presuming he's the "undroppable" in question), even if for legitimate reasons of tiredness or poor form, that the media sharks will come circling tenfold and completely unsettle him. If you thought Rose was clickbait or column inches, imagine the charade around Dele.

Agree with that, but if he dosen't drop players out of form, the results might go in the wrong direction and if that happens he will be kicked out sooner or later. And that was what I meant with "dare to kill his darlings to reach the next level as a coach for Spurs".

There are many possible lifelines for a coach, but the most stable one is "results".

Agree with that, but if he dosen't drop players out of form, the results might go in the wrong direction and if that happens he will be kicked out sooner or later. And that was what I meant with "dare to kill his darlings to reach the next level as a coach for Spurs".

There are many possible lifelines for a coach, but the most stable one is "results".

As said above, it's more about setting the bar, establishing what that should be, and rewarding the players that show the right attitude around the club. Because for the long-term health of the club, the right standards have to be met.

So Eriksen or Dele having a few poor games? Fine, but what are the reasons? Mentally tired? Rest them when we can. Unlucky? Not a reason to drop them? Still doing all of the right things in training and in games but it isn't quite coming off? Not a reason to drop them. Not running as hard, showing a negative / poor attitude, going into business for yourself on the pitch, being selfish, not carrying out instructions? Absolutely a reason to drop them. And I think if Dele, Eriksen or even Kane did that, Poch would have no problem booting them out of the club. Because he is building a culture, and that is more important than anything.

He's pragmatic, and he will think about the pressure aspects and what is best for the team. So it doesn't help us to sell Rose this August just gone when we'd have no back-up and would put undue pressure on KWP. So he's not keeping Rose because he deserves a reprieve, he's doing it because he wants to protect the players that actually work to his standards. Similarly keeping Walker in rotation at the end of last season - he talks about this in his book. He could have easily dropped him but in a highly pressurized part of the season, he didn't want to add any distraction or confusion in to the team. But it's as much about making sure Trippier - who deserves the help - doesn't have undue pressure on him as it is about protecting Walker - which he probably didn't really care about doing.

By the way, an important thing happened versus Stoke... I forgot to mention it.

We were huffing and puffing and probing around.
Then we gave away a very cheap freekick about 20 yards into their half, in the middle of the pitch.
This encouraged their whole team to push forwards, just leaving 2 at the back.
2 seconds later Winks won it and flicked it to Alli.
Alli waited 2 seconds and fed Son to score an easy chance.

I've advocated this approach many times, when facing teams that either can't or won't come out and play... give them a freekick in their half, encourage them to push forwards... get them out of their trenches, then hit them on the break. It ain't rocket science sometimes Mr Pockles.

Then we gave away a very cheap freekick about 20 yards into their half, in the middle of the pitch.

I've advocated this approach many times, when facing teams that either can't or won't come out and play... give them a freekick in their half, encourage them to push forwards... get them out of their trenches, then hit them on the break. It ain't rocket science sometimes Mr Pockles.
Unless your cunning plan goes tits up and they score from the free kick!!! IF not. the above stated scenario is fab.

Would be a pretty horrendous error from a game theory point of view for an opponent like Stoke to treat a set piece like that in a way that made it more likely that we scored than that they scored. Not saying those errors don't happen, but I'm not sure this is an example of that.

If we're talking about the same situation we were already in the lead at the time?

Unless your cunning plan goes tits up and they score from the free kick!!! IF not. the above stated scenario is fab.
That's why you give them the freekick 20 yards into their half... that will only result in a goal 0.0003% of the time, just ask Scara.

AKA suck them in really deep, then quickly spin them around and fire your load deep into their fishnets

Would be a pretty horrendous error from a game theory point of view for an opponent like Stoke to treat a set piece like that in a way that made it more likely that we scored than that they scored. Not saying those errors don't happen, but I'm not sure this is an example of that.

If we're talking about the same situation we were already in the lead at the time?
It does, it did, they did, then we did, so yes, we did. You ask a lot of questions.

That's why you give them the freekick 20 yards into their half... that will only result in a goal 0.0003% of the time, just ask Scara.

AKA suck them in really deep, then quickly spin them around and fire your load deep into their fishnets
I think we need a new thread to supplement corners. Two new threads. We NEED 'crosses' and 'free kicks 20 yards into their half", replete with xG stats and those graphs that give me a migraine and heat maps (and pictures of custard and fishnets).

Giving away free kicks in an opponent's half as a 'strategy' is unbelievably fudging stupid, it's certainly one Poch would never advocate.

Back